Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Engine oil specs old Briggs and Stratton

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1958 times

Old 07-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Engine oil specs old Briggs and Stratton

hi guys: i need some info ive got and old montgomery wards power trac garden plow aka simplicity about 1957 7 horse i have never changed the oil since ive owned it i figure its about time for some pm on the data plate it says to use a 20w oil depending on ambient temp in the local since i live in middle ga. where temps range from approx. 20 in the winter and 100 in the summer whats the best possible oil to use and what exact weight detergent or non detergent im affraid i know very little about whats best for older engines? i still use this workhorse for gardening and want to continue to do so. thanks wayne
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Registered-II

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default Re: Engine oil specs old Briggs and Stratton

Any modern oil is better than what they had then. My tags say 10w if below 32 and 20w if above. I use 30w castrol or briggs and stratton 30w. They all work as long as your level is right.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 07-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Subscriber

Liked 954 Times in 525 Posts

I use nothing but heavy duty #30 detergent oil in all my 4 cycle air cooled engines for summer use. Currently that's Co-op brand DMO - (Diesel Motor Oil). Been using the same stuff in the employer's John Deere 4240 tractor for last 20 years or so. It's on the verge of turning over 13,000 hours and engine has never been opened up and never add oil between changes.

When temperatures dip below freezing would suggest switching to 10W30 or if really cold, below zero F, you might want to go with 0W30 or 0W40 synthetic.

Now if the engine has been run on non detergent oil, you will probably want to stay with that, but I would still use #30 rather than a multigrade for summer temperatures.

Bill
Old 07-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Subscriber

Liked 160 Times in 54 Posts

50 year old engine. You might want to consider removing the base of the engine to remove any sludge that's accumulated over the years. If there's sludge and you use a detergent oil you'll run the risk of damaging the engine.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Registered-III

Liked 62 Times in 57 Posts

Briggs recomends 5w-30 for winter oil in their engines. 30w for the summer.