Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Briggs & Stratton recoil spring rewind

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 16653 times

Old 07-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Registered-II

Default Briggs & Stratton recoil spring rewind

I am working on another small b&s, the problem, I always have trouble rewinding the return spring and rope. I could add just a simple rope pull,but would like to keep this engine original. question, is there a trick? the engine is a small mower engine, named sears easy start.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: briggs&stratton recoiling spring rewind

how i do it is i cut the rope off then wind the spring up then clamp it with vice grips, then rethread the rope through both holes and re tie it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Mohney:
Old 07-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Registered-III

How new of an engine is it?There is a simple trick to it on newer engines but I'm not sure how far back you can use it.Look under the hole for the starter rope,is there a,kind of a t shaped slot that the end of the spring hooks into?If it does,start one end of the spring through that slot,hook it in the winder and fasten the winder in the blower housing.Then take a 3/4in square stick,you may have to wittle the edges a little so it fits in the center hole of the winder,now using that stick wind the spring in through the slot,when you get it to where the end hooks in the t slot,hook it and give it one more wrap,then pull your cord back out through the hole and put your handle on.Leave the stick in the center hole until your done,if you want,you can also drill a cross hole on the other end of the stick to put a handle(phillips screwdriver)through,that also gives you something extra to control it so it doesn't unwind until you get the handle on.I learned that at a B&S factory school,see sometimes it pays to pay attention in class.

Last edited by bstrucker; 07-22-2008 at 12:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bstrucker:
Old 07-22-2008, 02:34 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts
Default Re: Briggs & Stratton recoil spring rewind

Did on late night on a 16 HP flat twin powered water pump for the fire department.
Take an old broom handle or wood dowel the same size and cut it square so it will fit in the square where the starter clutch goes. You can use this to wind the spring up and hold while you thread the rope in. Cut the old rope off and pull it out. Then wind the rope pulley counter-clock wise as far as it will go. Then let the spring off until the hole in the rope pulley lines up with hole for the rope in the shroud. This will be one turn or less. I now thread the new rope the new rope through the shroud into the hole in the rope pulley. Be sure use a flame to heat the end of the nylon rope and roll the end of the rope into a little bit of a point. You can use a wire to thread through the rope pulley and out the rope hole in the shroud to hook the rope and pull it into the rope pulley. Tie a knot into the rope and let the spring pull in the new rope until it fills the pulley. Mark the rope at this point, pull som out and tie a slip knot in it. Now, for the point where you marked the rope add about 3 inches and cut the rope again heating both ends of the rope to keep it from fraying. put the rope grip on the rope in the shroud and then pull the sli[p knot out and let the recoil spring pull the rope into the shroud. Add some oil into the center of the rope pulley to lube the spring and now would be a good time to put some oil inro the center hole of the starter clutch to keep it from squealing. Note the rope pulley may not pull the rope in very smoothly with the shroud off the engine as the pulley is centered in the shroud by the crank and starter clutch.

Kent
The Following User Says Thank You to K D Redd:
Old 07-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,460 Times in 808 Posts

Here is a video of how to rewind one on a honda. You can get the basics from it... There are other videos also on youtube, just search for them.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mohney View Post
how i do it is i cut the rope off then wind the spring up then clamp it with vice grips, then rethread the rope through both holes and re tie it.
thank you, Mark
Old 07-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstrucker View Post
How new of an engine is it?There is a simple trick to it on newer engines but I'm not sure how far back you can use it.Look under the hole for the starter rope,is there a,kind of a t shaped slot that the end of the spring hooks into?If it does,start one end of the spring through that slot,hook it in the winder and fasten the winder in the blower housing.Then take a 3/4in square stick,you may have to wittle the edges a little so it fits in the center hole of the winder,now using that stick wind the spring in through the slot,when you get it to where the end hooks in the t slot,hook it and give it one more wrap,then pull your cord back out through the hole and put your handle on.Leave the stick in the center hole until your done,if you want,you can also drill a cross hole on the other end of the stick to put a handle(phillips screwdriver)through,that also gives you something extra to control it so it doesn't unwind until you get the handle on.I learned that at a B&S factory school,see sometimes it pays to pay attention in class.
thank you, I did it, and it worked;
Old 07-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by K D Redd View Post
Did on late night on a 16 HP flat twin powered water pump for the fire department.
Take an old broom handle or wood dowel the same size and cut it square so it will fit in the square where the starter clutch goes. You can use this to wind the spring up and hold while you thread the rope in. Cut the old rope off and pull it out. Then wind the rope pulley counter-clock wise as far as it will go. Then let the spring off until the hole in the rope pulley lines up with hole for the rope in the shroud. This will be one turn or less. I now thread the new rope the new rope through the shroud into the hole in the rope pulley. Be sure use a flame to heat the end of the nylon rope and roll the end of the rope into a little bit of a point. You can use a wire to thread through the rope pulley and out the rope hole in the shroud to hook the rope and pull it into the rope pulley. Tie a knot into the rope and let the spring pull in the new rope until it fills the pulley. Mark the rope at this point, pull som out and tie a slip knot in it. Now, for the point where you marked the rope add about 3 inches and cut the rope again heating both ends of the rope to keep it from fraying. put the rope grip on the rope in the shroud and then pull the sli[p knot out and let the recoil spring pull the rope into the shroud. Add some oil into the center of the rope pulley to lube the spring and now would be a good time to put some oil inro the center hole of the starter clutch to keep it from squealing. Note the rope pulley may not pull the rope in very smoothly with the shroud off the engine as the pulley is centered in the shroud by the crank and starter clutch.

Kent
thank you for the help. Glenn.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn miller View Post
thank you, I did it, and it worked;
Glad it worked for you,I wasn't sure you'd be able to get it from the instruction that I gave you.If I have my scanner on one of these days I'll try to remember to scan the pages in the repair manual and maybe even try a video on repairing them,that's the simplest way that I've found to do them.
The Following User Says Thank You to bstrucker: