Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Hot tube ignition

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2723 times

Old 03-13-2002, 01:37 PM
Sherm Wolf

Default Hot tube ignition

I am intimatly familar with high tension ignition and low tension ignitor ignition. Woul like to see an explanation of hot tube ignition and how the timing of ignition is controlled.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2002, 02:46 PM
BFultz

Default Re: Hot tube ignition

Try this site: http://www.old-engine.com/maghtu.htm
Old 03-13-2002, 08:22 PM
Mark Congden

Isn't the timing somewhat controlled by the temperature of the inner chamber of the hot tube.......hotter flame advances the ignition time. Cooler flame retards the explosion timing.

Mark Congden
Old 03-13-2002, 09:27 PM
Howard Weaver

As I understand it the timing is controled by the length of the hot tube. Shorter=later and longer = earlier. At least that is the way it worked on my 15 hp. Olin. I had to keep making the tube shorter to stop it from hitting toooo early. Finally ended up being only 3 inches long. Howard
Old 03-13-2002, 11:23 PM
REB

The way I understood hot tube ignition was that the length of the tube determined how much pressure it takes to force the "charge" to the "hot" spot where the burner is positioned. Since I was green to "hot tubing" I made one for a Reid by using about 6-8" of stainless tubing and threaded a stainless rod down in it to make the timing adjustable and it worked fine. Since everything is enclosed in the chimney its out of sight.
Old 03-15-2002, 06:24 AM
Craig Prucha

Hi REB, I have made these adjustable length hot tubes before the way you mention, but now kind of stay away from it or weld the threaded part shut, after the final adjustment. The wall thickness you wind up with after threading the tube in from the top is kind of thin. I know you can use a thicker wall tubing but then you get into heat problems with the tube. There is a lot of pressure inside the hot tube. It is actually part of the combustion chamber and sees the explosion when ever the engine fires. When adjusting the timing I start with a long tube made out of pipe and trim material off. That means I start with the timing really advanced and then as you cut the tube down you retard the timing. (less volume in the tube) When I get done experimenting with the length of the tube (engine timing), I measure how much water it holds. Then I make a nice new tube out of stainless and make the volume (water amount) match the experimental tube. I went to a show one time and before the show started I gave my 25 HP Swan a test run. A few minutes into the run I heard a huge bang that sounded like a shot gun going off next to my head. I went for cover thinking I got shot at. I got the engine dialed in and didn't replace the hot tube made out of pipe with a stainless one. I guess I just forgot to. It took me a while to figure out what happened, but I launched the tube. This could have killed some one. My budy found the hot tube piece next to one of his engines later that day. Hot tubes do take a lot of maintainence. This is why I mention at the begining of this note I would weld the threaded portion of your tube real good. Runnning any engine at a show is a big responsablity and I got woke up the hard way. You can't be to safe when running these engines. Thank God no one got hurt when I had the mishap. See ya, Craig...

Old 03-15-2002, 08:03 AM
REB

Craig your right about that, I threaded mine in 2-3 inches just for that reason and then weld the plug in after the bugs are worked out.