Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel Engines

Waukesha 283 Diesel

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 10556 times

Old 08-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,234 Times in 156 Posts
Default Waukesha 283 Diesel

Yesterday I traded my old Allis Chalmers front end loder for a White Oliver 2-78-15 backhoe. It has a Waukesha VRD 283 6 cylinder diesel engine, The owner said it had low compression and tore it down for a rebuild. He put new sleeves in it before giving up and putting the machine up for sale. So now I get the fun job of putting it back together.

He had the head redone. Valves seated, machined, etc. It wasn't until I got back here that I noticed that the head has a few cracks in it. I don't know if these will pose a problem or what I shoudl do about them.

In this photo you can see the cracks. The hole is the injector port. There are no water passages in that area and it doesn't look like the cracks can structurally weaken the head. There are four of these cracks, all at the injector ports. So what should I do about them?

Here is the next big problem. The exhaust mainfold has rotted paper thin, and has two big holes in it. I see that AGCO sells exhaust manifolds, so I hope they have one for this particular engine. Otherwise I don't know what I would do. Maybe fabricate one?

I ordered parts and service manuals for the backhoe and a parts manual for the Waukesha. I couldn't find a service manual for the engine though. Come Monday I will try rounding up a few missing parts from suppliers.

Getting this backhoe running is my top priority. I need it to dig the footers for our Tod Enginehouse, so until its running that construction project is at a standstill.

BTW there are more photos of this beast at:
http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2008, 03:06 AM

Thanked 1,974 Times in 691 Posts
Default Re: Waukesha 283 Diesel

If there are no water passages, then I'd not be too concerned right now, as you need the beast running, and to get those cracked areas welded will involve a lot of grief.

Might be worth finding out if another engine is available, and keep it spare just in case, you wouldn't want to have that fail in the middle of digging the foundations.

There is a supplier of manifolds and stuff that advertises in the Caterpillar (ACMOC.org) member's newsletter every quarter, I get one of my copies and see what they offer.

Peter
Old 08-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,370 Times in 721 Posts

Those little "heat checks" are common in John Deere, Cat, & apparently Waukesha heads. Almost every one of the JD turbo engine heads you look at will have those by the injector hole-(direct inj., not like the Wauk). What my old machinist buddy would do is vee out the cracks w/a die grinder, & they hardly ever go any father. If you want to be sure, you could have it pressure tested, before you put it on. If the shop that did the head was familiar w/Waukesha, they may have opted to not mess w/them. Maybe you could find out who did it & ask them.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Registered-III

Technically I am not sure if that is a VRD engine or not. To me the VRD is the direct injection version. Your tractors is the industrial version of an early 1650 Oliver. Where your cracks are I would worry if the head was not cracked. Do you know what the recession is on the intake valve. That spec in night impossiable to find. More questions> Send me a reply. We probably sold close to 50 of those tractors with those engines in them when I worked for the Oliver dealer. Early 1967 was the last of them. Fall of 64 was the first ones.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Registered-III

I forgot call Rudy down by Wooster. He probaly has a used manifold in stock. I will have his number later tonight or late tomorrow afternoon.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Registered-III

I'm going to take the head to a couple of local shops for second opinions.

I don't know really what that engine is. I know it is a 283 but thats about all. I searched all over online and not a single thing about how to identify a Waukesha engine.

Hey if you can put me onto a used I would certainly appreciate it!
Old 08-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Registered-III

Well probably not. Remember on the Waukesha, Oliver used some of their own designed heads and the Waukesha would have a different head. We probably took care of 200 + Oliver diesels with that design head. You will not have any problems there where are your cracks are. Still would like to know the intake valve recession. It make a big difference on how that engine starts. Get the valve stem height checked too. To me that would be more important than the worry you have on your cracks. More questions?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Registered-III

Check it against what? I can't find a service manual for this engine, so I have no idea what the original specs. were. Don't even know its serial number or where to look to find it. The most I can do is to put it back together and hope for the best.

I did order a parts manual (hope its for the right engine. Again I'm shooting in the dark). The AGCO catalog shows a picture of a 2-78-15, but the serial number listing doesn't show a 2-78 model at all. They don't list any manuals for this unit, closest ones are for the Field Boss 2-75 and 2-85. There are exhaust manifolds listed for the 2-60, 2-70, 2-85, 2-135, 2-155. Are any of these the same as the 2-78? I have no idea.

I'm not an expert on diesel engines. I'm a steam engine guy. I just need something to do some digging at the museum with, and I don't want this to turn into a research project. Its already costing me more and more as I keep finding things that the previous owner "failed" to mention. He said he bought a rebuild kit for it. Well yes he did but neglected to mention that he either lost or broke all the oil rings. So now I need six new sets of rings at $25.00 each. Also one of the conn rod bearing caps won't fit over the studs. Did he bend it up somehow? So I may need another conn. rod too. Then he lost one of the push rods. And I also have to drive 90 miles back out there because he forgot to give me a part for the front axle. Then I find that its an oddball engine with little support. Arrrrrgh....

Last edited by todengine; 08-10-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,370 Times in 721 Posts

Whatever machine shop you take it to should have a book w/specs for the valves, referencing the casting # on the head. That may help identify your engine model too...just a thought, but might it not be easier & faster to just rent or borrow a running backhoe to get the project done? Taking on one project in the middle of another can be frustrating, I know...
Old 08-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Registered-III

Thought I had some VRD/G manuals, but all I have are parts books. This is the Wauk-Dresser period, and the parts books have no pix of the engines. The pic of the stripped block does seem to have mounting holes where the stuff is in your engine pic, BUT the exhaust manifolds don't look like yours (Oliver/White could've used their own).
The only listing in my stuff is in a 94 Clevite catalog: under Oliver it shows a 2-78 tractor that came with both the Wauk VRD 283 diesel and the Wauk VRG 265 gas.
It doesn't list any 2-60.
The 2-70 shows the same two engines.
The 2-85 shows just a Perkins 6.354.
The 2-105 shows the Perkins and the VRG283 gas.
I find listings for the others, but they have no engine ID.
MANUALS: Wauk/Dresser has the available manuals on their website: click on "literature" (I think); was looking a few days ago. Wauk Eng Hist'l Soc (will show up on Google) has manuals "...no longer available thru Dresser...".
These're fairly modern engines; manuals should be available.
Good luck.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:42 AM
Registered-III

There was a 1650 shop manual. I don't have one, never needed one. There will not be one for just the industrial tractor. When a model was first introduced they gave you a thick service bulletin with all the specs in it. The 1650 you have start at serial numbers start at 147 *** at serial number 187 5** they changed from the Lanova head which you have to the direct injection head what Waukesha calls the VRD engine. Needless to say valve specs are different. Bud: For your information your parts book is not accurate. I will get with you later. I am also not 100% sure Waukesha even sold that version of that engine. Your best bet for used parts is Rudy over by Wooster. Tim Smith over by Canton can help you as well and those 2 work together. Your manifold also fits an 1800 Oliver diesel (same engine longer stroke) More later need to be in Columbus early this morning. The museum in Charles City can get you a parts book. You may 3: One for the loader, one for the back hoe and one for the tractor.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:48 AM
Registered-III

Bud: The 2-60 is a Fiat built tractor. The 2-105 never had a gas engine (VRG Waukesha) The 2-70 and later 1650 tractors plus the 1655 were all 283 cubic inch direct injection engines.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Registered-III

I stopped by Professional Engine Systems in Canfield, OH this morning. They service Waukesha engine and were most helpful. Yes it is not a VRD. Something about an F head, predating the VRD. They told me where to find the engine serial number though. Its 124957 and they are checking through their books to find the parts I need.

He wasn't too concerned about the cracks but suggested that I have the head pressure tested as one cylinder looked like it had a lot of water in it.

Still no luck on the exhaust manifold though, at least not yet. But if I find one its going to be pricy. Seems like this is a rare engine. Leave it to me to find the rare ones when I don't want a rare one!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Registered-III

I though of that on the way to Columbus that Waukesha considers those F-283D engine F meaning 6 cylinder, 283 cubic inch and D for diesel. Now Call Tim Smith @ 330-832-9792. He probably has a used manifold or 2. Also while you trying to figgure out what do do take that rod with the cap problem to a shop that can recon rods and have the bore measured. Your Serial number should be on a tag on the casting that supports the dash. 2-78-15 means 2 wheel drive, 78 engine horsepower and the hoe can dig to 15 feet. It is an industrial 1650 Oliver tractor. I take it you are not a farmer or in farm county. I have the specs you need as well but calm down a little first. I have a shovel too.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Registered-III

I'm not a farmer. I'm a mill rat. I'm out of my element here. Much more familiar puzzling out 3 phase electrical systems, overhead cranes and steelmaking machinery than farm implements. But I am getting calmer the more I learn about this backhoe. Its getting late in the season and I haven't started excavating for our building yet so I suppose I'm gettng impatient. The idea behind the backhoe was to save time and money over renting one since I'll need it quite a bit over the next few months.

I did find the ID tag in the cab under the steering wheel. The tag is placed right where the operator's foot will scuff it, so all I can make out are two stamped numbers. The one on top is 265-72055 and below it is 184 253-459 The wording that says what they mean has been worn off.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Registered-III

Well your tractor was made late in 166 or early in 1967. For a small fee you can contact the museum in Charles City and they can you when it was built, etc. They would also have copies of the manuals you need.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Registered-III

That does seem to be a variant engine; it wasn't on my engine lists ( I don't mean to imply my engine lists are anywhere near complete; they're all from parts catalogs, which tend to omit the odd or low-prod variants unless they take common parts).
There seem to be several of the later F- gas engines (and, per this variant, possibly diesels as well) that're variants of the VRD/G's (or vice-versa) as the b/s are the same.
Several catalogs do show an F283G; that Clevite catalog shows the F283G with different rod brgs than the VRD/G283, but shows the same cam and main sets. Whether the F283D takes the same rod bearings as the F283G is an open question; you'd assume that if they did the catalog would've included them, but they could've been omitted just because there weren't a large number around.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Registered-III

I called Tim and he has a good looking replacement manifold for me. I'll go pick it up tommorrow. Thanks again John.

Bud, www.agkits.com sells a rebuild kit for the 283 engine and their site says its for the 2-78 backhoe. This is the rebuild kit that the previous owner purchased. I just ordered six new sets of rings from agkits to replace the ones that he broke/lost. But I am not so certain that he measured the crankshaft before ordering the new bearings, so I need to do that. Professional Engine Systems gave me the crank dimensions for the VRD 283 but I don't know if that will be the same as the F283D. He ordered standard size bearings and I hope I can use them.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Registered-III

Tod: Those engines use the same crank. Post them on here and I will check my spec sheet. The rods themselves are not the same. You should have rods that take a 7/16 rod boplt. Since you have all the pistons out pull one off the rod and see if the rod has a one piece or a two piece pin bushing. Those two piece bushings are the downfall of that engine. Also measure all your liner flane height with clamped down to at least 50 pounds of torque, remember head bolts are 9/16 inch course thread. Tap all the head bolt hole in the block and clean the threads on the head bolts since you are waiting. Do you have dial indicator or one you can borrow.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:37 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,198 Times in 1,060 Posts

No big expert here BUT are not those the exhaust valves that are recessed ans does not the injector and pre-chamber set on either side of the exhaust valve. That is the way our old 88D is. I would have the head pressure tested before I bolted it on.

Kent