Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Bean sprayer engine

I recently came across a bean sprayer motor. It is complete with everything but the carburetor. I...

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1556 times

Old 03-19-2002, 02:49 PM
Christopher Winslow

Default Bean sprayer engine

I recently came across a bean sprayer motor. It is complete with everything but the carburetor. I have never seen a motor like this and only found a little bit of information in Wendel’s book about them. Does anybody have any links to more information on these motors? How rare are they? Are they worth anything? How hard would it be to get a replacement carburetor for this motor? Any help would be great.

Just trying to have some fun in CT.

CJ
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2002, 10:07 PM
robert atwell

Default Re: Bean sprayer engine

i have a 6hp bean i think roberts brg service may help bob
Old 03-21-2002, 12:13 PM
Don C. Wiley

Christopher;

Several years ago I bought one out of a junk yard for $30.00. I thought it was a very different engine. I only bought it because the whole junk was going to be scraped very soon.

It was in VERY---very bad condition. The head bolts went through the water compartment on the head and most were either rusted off or all but rusted off. As I recall there were five or six head bolts. The ones that weren't rusted off twisted off. I was able to get them all out by welding a nut on what was left of the stud as close to the block as I could get them and using a impact wrench.

The radiator was a different story. I quit counting when I had patched fifty holes in the "thing".

I did get it nicely restored and sold it, mostly because it was heavier than my Delco-Light generators and hard to move.

I am assuming you are talking about the upright Bean that looks a lot like the Cushman binder engine, with the exception of having the radiator mounted behind the flywheel and the crankshaft running through it. The early ones had a hexagon radiator the the later ones had a rectangle one.

You do know don't you, that the Bean Spray Pump Company used the Cushman Cub engines on some of there "outfits" and they called them the Bean Special Engine.

The carburetor for the "Cub" will be fairly sinple to find, however the carburetor for the vertical Bean engine with the radiator behind the flywheel is a whole "'nother story." That carburetor has one half of it on the base/fuel tank, and other half is up on the intake manafold with two brass tubes running between them. The last carburetor I saw was at the Portland Swap Meet three years ago and one of Harry's "folks" had it. It was on Mr. Meeks LOOooong table. One half was mid way on the table and the other half was at the other end of the table. I didn't think he would know much about it so I asked him what he wanted for it? He said Oh that's half of a carburetor for a Bean engine and the other half is down here at this end and I want $$$$$ for it. You might check with him and see if he still has it. Buy it when you see it, because there aren't many around. I bought a "parts" engine to finish mine. I advertised what I had left in the GEM and sold them to a man in British Columbia Canada.

Scot Cushman, the great grand son of the engineer who designed the "Binder", and the Cub engine, as well as Piersen, and Collis can shed more light on the history of these engines. Everett Cushman was the designers name.

Scot tried to track down the one I had restored and I'm not sure he found it, but I know he found another one. He did buy a Cushman 32 volt generator I restored for a man in Tennessee.

Scot has started a "Cushman Museum" in back of his business in Albequerque New Mexico. Scot has had some posts here in the past. He should be in the archives. I don't think he would mind me posting his e-mail address here. He is looking for help in getting his museum filled, so if any of you could help, contact him at: cec@swcp.com

Christopher, if you are lucky enough to find a carburetor I think you will be happy with the engine. The one I had I took to several shows and it ran very well and if it hadn't been so heavy I would probably still have it.

"DELCO DON"
Old 03-21-2002, 12:20 PM
Christopher Winslow

I have bought the motor, just haven’t picked it up yet. Mine must be a later model because it does have the rectangular radiator that the crank runs through. Thanks for all the help. I will be sure to look into that carb.

CJ
Old 03-21-2002, 05:57 PM
robert atwell

thanks alot of info here i think i have enough parts to assemble this bean engine less a mag. does anyone have a ruff value of a bean 6hp thanks bob
Old 03-21-2002, 10:22 PM
Don C. Wiley

Robert;

My 6 HP had a Wico EK mag on it. As I remember I went to my brother-in-law and got a "generic" valve out of his collection of old car valves and made both of mine. I think I had to cut one off and weld it to another to make it long enough to work.

They were very well built engines and I suppose a little too expensive for most folks. That is why you don't see too many of them.

The tappets are square with a roller on the bottom end. The cam shaft has just one lobe on it like the Phelps generator engine has, with a "Y" rocker mechanism to alternately open the valves.

The mag timing is very complex as well.

When you get yours running post a picture here so every one who has never seen one can see it.

Have fun,--------that's what it's all about.

"DELCO DON"
Old 03-22-2002, 06:18 PM
Rob Charles

Hi All, I have a 4 hp bean vert..It doesn't have the valve set up that Don Was describing.Its just a plain old L head.it has the Hexagon style rad. behind the flywheel.is this another version?Out at Beilers sale last month there was a complete Bean sprayer setup with the 4 hp eng. on it in nice original operatable shape.It went for $450.00 i think Rob
Old 03-22-2002, 08:02 PM
robert atwell

don i had ed at hit and miss make a valve i think they charged me 24.50. nice valve. you described my eng to a T . rob i dont know about the 4hp.. the head on a 6 hp is open on the top to hold plenty of water.