Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Lifting and Loading
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lifting and Loading Fork lifts, tow motors, jacks and hoists.

Lifting and Loading

Problem propane forklift.

I have a 1954 Clark Yard lift 4000lb lift forklift with a flathead continental engine running on...

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 14827 times

Old 08-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Registered-III

Default Problem propane forklift.

I have a 1954 Clark Yard lift 4000lb lift forklift with a flathead continental engine running on propane.
I have put new regulators, new vaccuum shut off, had the air mixer rebuilt and it runs like well, crap.
It needs to be on full choke to start and idle, when cold, it will speed up witht he footfeed, once warm though any pedal will make it make a strong air sucking noise and it just stumbles and random fires, this will continue until it finally dies if you are still trying to work. Any ideas? Adjusting the propane power jet does nothing, it seems to run better without the new air filter on, but still not very useful................what is scrap going for now? 7000# hm,
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Problem propane forklift.

Greg, Give us a little more info on the propane equipment. Is it J&S (two diaphragm pressurized carb or single), Century (non pressurized carb), Ensign, Bendix or----. Obviously not a Impco as most later (since early 80's) propane systems don't use a choke system. Pictures would help, It sounds to me as a lack of fuel at the mixer (carb) or a large vacuum leak. Does the liquid line from the tank freeze up any where? Are all of the manifold and mixer bolts tight? Is the fuel delivery line in good shape? Let us know.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Registered-III

Is the demand reg. mounted in the right direction.Some need to be mounted vertically and not flat.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Registered-III

lets see,
I will get some pics tomorrow.
The demand reg is mounted vertically and is a J&S
As for the carb type, not sure, will get pics.
It has a throttle plate in it with a manual choke and the propane comes into the air flow behind all that through a block with a needle valve in it.
If i open the needle up, it just bogs and dies. I will post pics tomorrow evening.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Registered-III

Maybee weak Ignition?
Old 08-24-2008, 09:26 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts

Whoever rebuilt the air mixer may have missed something. If it has a diaphram, some designs with a diaphram require a specific location of the diaphram. A one time when I did not know much about LP Motor Fuel, of which I am still learning, we had a system on a International truck that woul run EXTREMLY hot. I took it to a guy who did LP catburation work. As He reset the bend of a lever in the demand regulator I was looking around his shop. He had some used parts he had obviously just bought. The was a mixer that had BAD wtiten on it with a black magic marker. The diaphram had around one of the screw hole a rectanguler tag. All of the other were tounded. The casting of the mixer had around one of the screw hole a rectanguler projection. These were not aligned. I commented seeing why this mixer was marked bad and he said yes THAT was the problem.
You might take a close look at your mixer.

Kent
Old 08-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Registered-III

here are a few pictures,
No lines freeze up.
this problem seems to happen when it warms up, temperature is 160 normal running temp. The longer it runs the worse it gets until you just give up and let it cool down. When hot, it will not pull the hat off your head and will not go above idle. But idles pretty good, with an occational miss.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00765.JPG   DSC00766.JPG   DSC00767.JPG   DSC00768.JPG  

Old 08-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,893 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbra Dean View Post
Maybee weak Ignition?

I used to install and service propane fuel systems. When we took our installation course and when I took my mechanic training our instructors told us and STRONGLY EMPHASIZED most fuel system problems can be fixed in the "ignition system"! I found this many times with propane systems! As it takes a higher secondary ignition voltage to push the arc across the plug gap with propane. And even more so under exceleration!

So make sure your points, Plugs, Plug wires etc are in good order.

I see you have added photos. I can honestly say I have never worked on that brand of equipment but the ignition comment still stands!

Kelly T

Last edited by Kelly Tytlandsvik; 08-25-2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: added more
Old 08-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Registered-III

Talking Re: Problem propane forklift.

Yup, we have a geine lift at work, run's on gas and propane,When I started working there it ran like crap on propane.It also would load up on the gas side.First I cleaned out the carb and it ran good on gas.but still crappy on propane.Changed out the plug's cap and rotor and viola! run's perfect now,The weak ignition was making the propane side run bad.Tom
Old 09-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,893 Times in 208 Posts

Did you find your troubles Greg? How about an update?

Kelly T
Old 09-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Registered-III

sorry, have not worked on it, been out of town.
I plan on taking a look see at it in the next couple of weeks. I will post when I figure something out.
thanks to all for the information and thoughts.

Greg
Old 09-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Registered-III

well, tried several ignition related things, still not running right, when the engine starts to warm up, is just starts running worse and worse until it will not run or start, let it cool, does it again.
Took 4 hrs to do 5 minutes work and I cannot trust it. So, I think the old girl is going to the scrap man this week, @ 7000 lbs, should be worth something but not what I have in it.
The mast cylinder leaks again, engine running like crap, mast jams up sometimes, just worn out and my passion is not nursing an old forklift.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas, I think it is just worn out.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Registered

Greg, I have a propane Clark C300 with the same problem, would just stop when hot and not restart until cold. Finally found the propblem this week, the fuel line from the regulator to the carb was old and soft and we think, collapsed when hot. I replaced it with a new piece of 5/8 hose and the problem went away--ran it yesterday for 1 hr and then restarted without difficulty
Ray
Old 08-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Subscriber

I have incountered a lot of Contenental's with blown head gaskets that still run. They don,t run well and will blow antifreezee out the stack, but keep running. Suggest a compression check, along with all your fuel checks. Also the color of you spark needs to be blue to violet, If it is red or yellow, will not start propane. Tim
Old 08-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Registered-III

Propane engines have a tendancy to burn valves. If the propane conversion was done later and didn't include Stelite valves and harden seats, you may have burnt valves. Compression check is in order.

Richard W.