Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

New Welding Hood

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 2056 times

Old 08-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Registered-II

Default New Welding Hood

Well, it's time to buy a new hood. I've been getting by with the cheap ones for far too long. My question is, does anybody know of anything like a consumers report on hoods. When you read the manufacturers specs and discriptions, it all gets confusing. It all sounds the same. Personal opinions are welcome also. Right now I'm leaning towards SpeedGlass, but I'm far from sold. Any help and opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Sky

Default Re: New Welding Hood

My suggestion would be to get one of those hoods with the automatic dimmer. It's activated as soon as you strike an arch. Im sold on one. you can see through the glass so you see were your going to strike an arc, then once the arc is struck, that split second, the glass dims to your arc and then you go weld. The split second you stop the weld the glass lights up again so you see once again, what your doing. I've use mine the breif time i have been welding and im sold on it. No other welding helmet beats those.
The Following User Says Thank You to :
Old 08-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Registered-III

I suggest not getting one of the solar self darkening type. I tried one in high school shop when i was in there 4 years ago and almost blinded my self when i started the arc. i was running mig at the time and the thing didnt re-act fast enough to the light and i was seeing spots for a while after that. i use one that you have to manually flip the screen down it works good and wasnt priced too bad. good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Cardoza:
Old 08-24-2008, 09:00 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts

I have one of the autodarking ones with adjustable tint of 9 thru 12 that has two AAA batteries. I like it. I though it was going bad the other day. I changed battery and still did not turn on all of the time. Did not use it for a couple of days and now it is wotking again. I may have let the batteries get to low. I am going to check out on of the solar one BUT I will take Ray's comment into account when I do.

Kent
The Following User Says Thank You to K D Redd:
Old 08-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Registered-III

I've been working around pipeline welders and structural welders for alot of years and have yet to see one auto darkening hood. Fibermetal makes a bunch of hoods are usually the ones of choice offshore. The auto darkening ones are cool but I've always wondered if the reaction time is fast enough? Havent see a pro use one for long enough to see if they have long term effects.
Good luck on your choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to wydiver:
Old 08-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Sky

I failed to mention mine is from the well known Lincolin welders company. Solar powered so it dont use batterys which to me is a plus. If you do decide to get a self darken helmet. Get the one from Lincolin. You'd have to try it to know what im talking about. As i said, im sold on mine but ya'll have your own choices. Mine has no "lag" what so ever between arc time.
The Following User Says Thank You to :
Old 08-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,551 Times in 915 Posts

I've used Speedglass for years, the auto darkening type. The reaction time is plenty fast, as I have never been flashburned from it not doing so fast enough. Its very reliable. Its been thrown, smashed, stuff dropped on it and so on. Still works great. I used the hell out of it for 3 years when I worked in a welding shop. Burned 400 pound barrels of wire up per 2 months and probably a 20 pound box of rod per week. A LOT of welding. I even cracked the lens on it a few years ago when it got smashed pretty hard, and it still worked but I replaced it because I didn't want any of the arc leaking through the crack to my eyes. Its my personal opinion, but I wouldn't buy anything else then a Speedglass. And not to mention only the good performance, their also fairly lite which one can appreciate when wearing it all day. Jacksons weigh a ton.

Last edited by Tanner Remillard; 08-25-2008 at 12:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tanner Remillard:
Old 08-25-2008, 12:46 AM
Subscriber

I have to agree with the reaction time of the auto darkening ,I think they fast enough to do the job BUT I still won't use one . # 1. I think that keeping your head enclosed with all those gasses and snoke under a hood is not to the best thing for you. #2. also paying attion to your suroundings is very important. You need to check and see if kid next door or customer has walked over to get a closer look at that bright light.
Well that's my two cents, Jan
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan4CMF:
Old 08-25-2008, 06:23 AM
Registered-III

With auto darkening you get what you pay for. I've never came across one in the last few years that didn't react quickly. If you do a lot of tacking they are handy. If your eyes are not real good I wouldn't bother with one. Never used one yet that was as clear and as nice to see through as a standard hood with nice clean lenses. In my travels as a line borer I go to many different welding and fab shops and about five percent of professional welders use them. A lot of the young blokes try them but leave them when the novelty wears off.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Registered-II

The problem with the solar powered hoods not reacting is many times operator error. The hood, if stored in a closet or cabinet, will develope a low battery. The solar cell charges usually a lithium battery. Hang it in the light (Sun light) and the "Lag" problem will go away. I hang mine facing the window. Never had a problem, but I was warned before hand. Norm
The Following User Says Thank You to Norm W:
Old 08-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Registered-III

I have a solar hood. It hangs inside. Before I use it I'll sit it outside for a little while in the light. Haven't had any problems.

J.I.M.
The Following User Says Thank You to John in Maryland:
Old 08-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Registered-II

Many thanks to all who read and especially to those who replyed. I still haven't opened my wallet yet, but It's probably going to be SpeedGlass or Miller. The biggest reason is the welding supply store I use, deals in them. It's about a mile away. Hard to beat convience. Thanks again to all.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Registered-II

Hi,
If you use an auto helmet much you can get real spoiled. We had an Optrel for ~9 years, it worked good till the last year then it would go dead hanging(in the dark) if put in the sun for a while then it would work. So when it got too bad we got a new Miller elite which is even nicer because the lens is easier to see though and it has a long life battery that can be replaced. Nathan.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan K.:
Old 08-31-2008, 03:02 PM
Registered-II

Thanks Nathan. I'm probably going to go with a Miller. The SpeedGlass look really neat, and are excellent quality, but they are priced just outside my comfort zone.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:12 PM
Registered-III

I got one off the MATCO truck