Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Please help with B&S throttle return spring/governor linkage assembly.

I am stuck trying to configure the throttle return spring/governor linkage assembly on a B&S 10hp...

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 3062 times

Old 09-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Registered

I am stuck trying to configure the throttle return spring/governor linkage assembly on a B&S 10hp Synchro-Balanced that need to have remote throttle. This Model-251417, Type-0153-01, horizontal engine runs strong but was in need of carburetor repair. I have the B&S manuals but there is no clear diagram of how this particular setup should be. My best guess is that there has been some shade-tree work done in an attempt to relocate the throttle thereby bypassing the governor but I don’t really know for sure (see throttle mount bracket on old carburetor).

My situation is that not all of the pieces of this linkage scenario where intact when I got the bike and the exploded parts diagram and the two B&S manuals I have seem to cover this for all setups in the same diagram, except for mine. If I had the opportunity to take the original apart I wouldn’t really be stuck.

All the parts involved, mostly new, are the correct for my model/type. I am confident that the connections of the governor arm, that has only two holes, one for the carburetor butterfly connecting wire rod and one for the governor spring and the governor spring to the governor control plate are correct.

However when I picked up the bike the throttle cable (a junk lawn mower slide assembly) was anchored on the scissors like throttle control attached to the old carb. My guess is that this part may have been added because it does not interface with the governor at all, so I went with mounting the new throttle cable directly to the governor control plate. This leaves me lacking as where to put the throttle return spring. Best guess would suggest that it should go to one of the two remaining internal arms on the governor control plate and if so where does the other end or the spring go? Or is the scissors like throttle control still on the old carb need to come into play? Further I need this all too work as a cycle throttle.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Please help with B&S throttle return spring/governor linkage assembly.

I could be off base, But my 5 Horse briggs has no return spring, as the governor constatnly wants to close the trottle plate anyway. If iots just a matter of your throttle control(IE twist grip) returning you should just put a spring to the linkage your cable acts upon.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Please help with B&S throttle return spring/governor linkage assembly.

Here are two pictures with suggestions i wound try.

Seems to me a spring here would make your throttle control return without any binding.

On the other hand it may be a cleaner looking mechanism if you attached your spring on the back side to this arm and the mechanism body/plate
Old 09-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Registered-II

As far as the linkages themselves, Id say everything is set to go, If this is a tote goat or mini-bike I would bypass the governor myself.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Registered

Thank you for the ideas. I will try both as soon as my new gas tank arrives. I didn't want to chance the old one with the new carb.
This is original on a 1974-5 Carl Heald Kit Super Tryke that is scheduled for a complete restore this winter, after it is functional.
If all goes well you may see it touring the grounds at next years Canandaigua Pageant of Steam!