Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

MEP-002A High Volts NEED HELP!!

Hi, newbie, but I have been reading info on here for about 2 years. This is my situation. I have...

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2602 times

Old 09-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Registered

Angry MEP-002A High Volts NEED HELP!!

Hi, newbie, but I have been reading info on here for about 2 years. This is my situation. I have an Mep-002a (5k). It was working perfect. About a week ago went to prep for Hurricane conditions, as I live in South Florida. Unfortunately a family member connected batteries backwards. I corrected the wires on the batteries after no start. Since then the generator starts but the volts are at 166 on L! and L3 on single phase 240. The volt rheostat does not preform its function ( I did check it with a meter and does work) the volt gauge does not register any movement, Percent meter goes up to 75% and fluctuates down to zero. I placed two 300 watt flood lights on the plug provided on the box and they light up perfect. The generator does not soud as if it is loaded up at any time even with the 2 flood lights. I have checked the CVTI, CVT,Tranformer T1 and T2, rheostat, (two) Bridge rectifier and having (2) Voltage regulators checked as we speak. I have two bridge rectifiers and voltage regulators so I tried them both. When turned on the generator it opperated properly for a moment. Then I started having the above problems. I have also cleaned the grounds to chasis, starter, battery and control box. All grounded areas ohmed out correctly. What else can I do with the 960 lbs of recycle metal? I did have an idea of attaching a parachute to it and have of of these damn storms take it.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: MEP-002A High Volts NEED HELP!!

I can email you the repair manual in a PDF file for trouble shooting the generator end if you need it. According to the manual, the voltage between L1 & L3 in the 120/240 single phase, you should be seeing 240 volts. Did you check the voltage at the 120 volt outlet? Have you tried to bypass the voltage regulator? I had one that was working great one day and the next day, the output was low. It turned out to be the rotating diodes that kicked the bucket. I had a better looking generator end off of another unit, so I swapped it out instead of replacing the diodes. I may get to give my unit a workout if Ike hits the middle of the Texas coast.

David C.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Registered

Thanks for the response. I have all manuals. Unfortunately they don't help with this issue. The generator is brand new, it was turned on and load tested only. I will be reinstalling the voltage regulator after having it checked. The bridge rectifier was checked and working. I also checked the volt gauge and it is working. Good luck with IKE. Don't wish that on anybody.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Registered-III

It's been a while since I sold my MEP002A but as I remember the voltage regulator was a magnetic amplifier type that controlled a rotating exciter. I don't remember if it had an automatic boot or manual (required by all mag amp type exciters) but its likely that the backward battery connection cooked something in the regulator. The most notable feature of this system is that failure of the regulator usually causes the voltage to go to maximum, hence the overvoltage device. The regulator functions by controlling the DC current in the cvt's. No Dc produces maximum voltage, Maximun probably around 1-3 amps produces minimum voltage. Hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Registered

Got the voltage regulator fixed. The generator works on 1 and 3 ph. Stable current and the rehostat regulator knob works. The percent meter and volt meter are still not registering. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Registered

HI,
I have the same problem, what did they find wrong with the regulator?
Where did you have it fixed?
Thanks
Old 02-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Registered-II

You have the schematic? If you can send me a copy. I will look at the voltmeter circuit for you. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Then we could talk on the phone if necessary.

Thanks
Rick
Old 03-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Registered-I

You might find some interesting documentation regarding MEP002A and MEP003A as well as the Onan civilian equivalents at the following links:
http://www.scribd.com/Tereeeee/shelf
http://www.greenmountaingenerators.c...--support.html
The sites above have Onan:
Service Manuals
Parts Manuals
Electrical Manuals
They might help find answers to your questions.