Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Gas Tank Tips for Cleaning (THIS STUFF WORKS!)

I found a good cure to a varnishy rusty tank. I just cleaned out my gallon tank on our 1926 Model...

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 4949 times

Old 10-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Sky

Exclamation Gas Tank Tips for Cleaning (THIS STUFF WORKS!)

I found a good cure to a varnishy rusty tank. I just cleaned out my gallon tank on our 1926 Model FH Briggs and as anyone might know if they ever tryed to clean out a early one gallon FH tank it is very hard if not, impossible so here's what i done. First the heavily varnished rusty tank sat in a tank of mineral spirits for a week. Then taken out of the soak, dryed and scraped as much varnish and rust as possible out of the tank. THEN put the plugs back in the tank, poured in 2 cups of vinager and poured in a half bottle of stuff they call RUST KUTTER (found @ tractor supply) in along with the vinager and put a small chain in to knock the rust loose and then put the FH oil pan in the base along with RV automotive gasket sealer to seal and close of that gapping hole in the tank. Then took a rag and stuffed it in the little hole were the carb pickup tube usually goes. Then slosh the tank around turning it upside down ect. to coat all inside every 3 or 4 hours for 2 DAYS. Here comes the fun part. After 2 days that concoction in the tank becomes abnoxiously smelly. Enough to make you probably hurl if you smell it too long so maybee ware a mask but it's up to you. Ware gloves and drain the tank in a place were it's not traveled. Behind your house, in the alley, somewere untraveled. Water down the spot with a hose were you drained the stuff to neutralize the smell or atleast cut the smell. Then plug the drain hole back up and put in the rest of the RUST KUTTER BY ITSELF and seal that off. Rotate the tank every 3 or 4 hours for 2 days. Drain again. It will still stink like the first but not really as bad. Again, water down the spot with a hose were you drained the tank to neutralize that spot and cut the smell. THEN, go to your auto parts store, get 2 cans of gumout or B-12 Chemtool and spray every bit of the 2 cans in the tank. Seal the tank again, slosh around every 3 or 4 hours for 2 days then drain. What this does it not only cuts the bad smell out of the tank it will eat out the by products of what the first combination of Vinager and RUST KUTTER and the second use of the straight use of RUST KUTTER left behind. The carb cleaner will come out blackish in color. Then take all plugs out of the tank and remove the oil pan that covered up the gapping hole in the FH tank. Flush the tank out with water for 5 minutes and use a little scrubby brush to scrub around the corners and sides of the tank were there MIGHT be a spot left behind. It's at this moment you will find the inside of the tank to be absolutly down to BARE METAL. The tank probably wont be perfectly spotless but 98 to 99 percent of the rust and varnish WILL be gone. After the tank has been drained of water you might find little bubbles working in the water with the inside tank still wet. I dont know what that is but for percaution, put the tank plugs back in, pour in 2 ounces or so of baking soda, and fill the tank to the brim with water and stir the water and baking soda mix thouroughly. It will bubble but it's neutralizing what acid is left in the tank so it dont start eating on the metal it's self. Let that set overnight and pull the plugs, drain and flush. You will now have OR SHOULD HAVE a tank that looks near new. Then do with the tank what ever you want to do. Im thinking of putting sealer in my tank but dont know yet. I'll post pictures of my results tomorrow. I would suppose this would work on any gas tank you have, big or small, just add or subtract the doesage AS NEEDED. This is a great method for those not in a rush. Takes a full week to do but sure as heck beats the pants off scrapping, gouging, and brushing.

Last edited by Sky; 10-12-2008 at 08:17 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to :
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,467 Times in 862 Posts
Default Re: Gas Tank Tips for Cleaning (THIS STUFF WORKS!)

You're an embiromental terroist Sky
I hope Algore goes walking down your alley or behind your house and slips in your mess! I used to have access to a hot tank in a radiator shop. It will cut a lot of stuff. Maybe taking the tank to an engine rebuilding shop would be easier, and quicker. (but it wouldn't give so much personal satisfaction)
I think they bake castings to get off the gooey, oiley baked on stuff. Also a hot tanking is done, and lastly a sandblasting if necessary will remove the (now hard and crunchy) gooey stuff. Thanks for sharing your experience. I like those FH briggs.
Kevin
Old 10-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Sky

Im the most awfull person you'd wanna meet. I hope all crooked politicians come along and slip on my mess. Ah but that wouldnt be christian now would it. lmao all kidding aside, this combination works. It took the tank to bare metal and there was some TOUGH crud in there too. All side from the abnoxious stink the first mixture lets off, this REALLY works. I'll post pictures tomorrow. I wouldnt say it works if it didnt. I have to be ohnest. Initially i thought i was just creating a stinkin concoction that would just turn the crud black if any thing AT ALL but, turns out it is like electrolisis in a bottle. Im gonna show you all the results i got. I sure will.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Subscriber

I have cleaned tanks before, and if you dont use sealer afterward they rust again REALLY fast. I made that mistake before and had more rust than before I cleaned the tank.
Steve
Old 10-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Sky

This combination didnt flash rust but im sure if you gave it time it would have surface rust. Which brings up a good point becouse AFTER you do the steps i mentioned, it may be a wise choice to go ahead and get a gas tank coating of what ever you prefer. Redcoat OR KBS. I just happened to use KBS. http://www.kbs-coatings.com/KBS-Cycl...it_p_7-31.html
If you do use KBS tank sealer, FALLOW the instructions on what it tells you. You'll be fine. If you use RedKoat, you'll be fine aswell. again, what ever you choose to use but it is wise to seal the tank after cleaning. And now i will show you my results from the instructions above. AGAIN, please note i said your tank wont be absolutly SPOTLESS but 98 percent of rust and varnish will be gone. It is very important to fallow those instructions other wise your tank may not be as clean. These are real live results folks. No trickery, no lies. Just a plain old experiment THAT WORKED. The first 2 pictures are the tank insides bare metal. 3r'd picture is the coating i used. I care about sharing info in this hobby/heritage of ours. Thats why i brought this topic up. I hope this is found usefull as it was extreemly usefull to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Cleaned FH tank.jpg   Cleaned FH tank2.jpg   Coated FH tank.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to :
Old 10-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,467 Times in 862 Posts

Sky,
Are you sure you didn't just "photoshop" those pictures?
You old kidder you!
It really looks good. So it that an NOS tank, or where is the nasty "before" pic?
Kevin
Old 10-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Sky

conveiniently i didnt think to take a before pic I didnt really think the stuff i put in it would have done much of anything so i didnt bother. Coulda fooled me! But if you can imagine what 30 plus years of even a small amount of rotten gas and rust looks like, It was there. Cruddy, grimey, faint smell of an old army boot and brown.

Last edited by Sky; 10-13-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Sky

I know this looks weird of the method i used and i also put up a link of the stuff that can do that same thing. I assure you though i didnt use KBS cleaner. Just the sealer. Even though i have baught and used the KBS kit 2 times with great results. It might be the less stinkyer way to clean a tank. I just didnt have a KBS kit on hand. So i used the vinager and RUST KUTTER method. Both KBS & RUST KUTTER (RUST KUTTER found at tractor supply) work great.