Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps, washers and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Suggestions on building a Spring box! (Water Ram)

Howdy Everyone! Im building a Springbox to operate a Small water ram that I hope to buy! the...

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 4934 times

Old 10-27-2008, 12:59 AM
Registered-I

Default Suggestions on building a Spring box! (Water Ram)

Howdy Everyone!

Im building a Springbox to operate a Small water ram that I hope to buy! the purpose in the spring box is to gain a foot or 2 extra of fall to where im going to be locating the ram, as well as to protect the spring by shock clorinating it when the box is finished to keep it clean & use as a future Drinking water source with the ram pump! Im useing lose Limstone rock I picked up around my property & Quickrete Mortar Mix, for the Spring box walls! any suggestions from any other ram pump owners that have had to build a spring box on how to keep it from leaking? will limestone rock act as a better seal than cinder block? Any Suggestions?

Thanks
David
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Suggestions on building a Spring box!

Dave, the only one I've seen built for a ram was formed concrete, and is probably 80 yrs old now, maybe more.
Its about 2-300 ft from the spring, and there's just enough fall in that distance to fill the box, which is about 4 /12 ft tall.
Theres a pipe near the top for overflow, that a lot of folks have got a drink from. The ram was there for many yrs, not in service, since they had a pump put in after electricity came thru in the late 1940's. This is about 8 miles out of Bristol, on the Va side. Ths spring is still running strong, even wqitht he drought we're having. Hope yours is holding up too.
There was a ram in service about 5 miles up Boozie Creek, not far from Kingsport a few yrs ago, but I've not been by there in several yrs, so can't tell you the status on that one. It was run by a pipe from the spring that had plenty of fall without a box, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Farquhar:
Old 10-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Registered-III

Forgot to answer your question on the materials.
The limestone rock would be much better in my opinion, since you would have to stucco the inside of the cinder blocks to keep them from leaking. And if you have plenty of rock, why spend money on blocks?
David Hensley
The Following User Says Thank You to Farquhar:
Old 10-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Registered-I

Yeah my Spring is Still running Im going to say its about a 35 to 40 gallon a minute "Give or take" Spring! its holding up, comes straight out from under a big limestone rock thru a fault! It just don't have the fall or the amount of water my creek has! & "If" I get Lucky enough to find another ram that I can Afford, I will probably use it for a future Drinking water source for a cabin or home I hope to build there someday & just use the ram I have working in my creek for Watering purposes!

Thank you for any & All leads on ANY Old Abandond Ram's not in use Anymore!

Dave
Old 10-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Subscriber

Any of you that attended the Renfro Valley Show missed out on a roadside spring box if you didn't get off the Rt 25 pavement and drive down thru Brush Creek/Orlando going toward Hummel and Wildie. It not far out of Brush Creek on the right side of the road in a hilly rock outcropping.
It's been there since I was a kid and I'm now pushing 73.. Someone had the foresight to make a concrete basin to preserve this sweet cold water spring for anybody that wants to make use of it. If my memory's correct it was on George Miller's land and it might have been he that built the box.
Folks came from miles around, bringing their containers to take that water home just fro drinking and perking a pot of delicious coffee.

And on a hot August day it surely tasted good!

It's been about 40 years since I sipped that cool Ky ground nectar and I'm assuming that it's still there and still potable in these day's when it seems that nobody gives a shit anymore.

I can only hope that it's still there, still fresh n cool!...

Gene
Old 10-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Registered-III

Hmmmmm! Gene, do ya reckon that "cool nectar" might have been used in one of those "corn refineries"??? Since itrs in Renfro Valley??
Old 10-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Subscriber

Farquhar,
Undoubtedly! But then Ky ground nectar in the "Knobs" was always sweet tasting as it also was in the Western parts of Va, around Radford and Pulaski.
Back in the 40's you could see the bed rock bottom of the New River where it passes thru Radford.
When I last tasted that Ky spring water in 68-69, we returned to NJ by heading East thru Radford and on to Norfolk..We crossed over the River into Radford and it was so green you couldn't see much below the surface.
Oh the Pike we used to pull out of that trough just below the dam.Sweetest tasting fish anywhere, although quite boney!
Those were the "best years of my life"!

Would like to have a quart of them "squeezins"!

Back in those day's there was a still up in every "hollar" and the shiners knew when Deputy Sheriff Charlie Ramsey would be due to drive thru sniffing for wood smoke, so they just didn't light em up on that day.
We went back to Wildie for Summer vacation in 1943 and Charlie came into Wildie from the Clear Creek direction. He had a Chevy 4 door, I think it was a Chebby anyway, it had suicide doors and was covered with the usual coating of dust thrown up from the gravel road's.
We were all sitting in the shade of my Grandpa's L&N RR store sippin on RC's or Pepsi's and Charlie stopped and called us over to the passenger side. He had been up in the quarry behind Stewart's place looking for a still and he said he heard a buzzing sound, turned around and there laid all coiled up was the biggest Rattler he had ever seen. He plugged it with his 38 S&W and tied it onto the fender. It's head, what was left anyway, was tied to the head light mount and it's tail was by the back edge of the back door held onto the running board with a piece of bailin twine wrapped around it's body just forward of the rattle and placed between the door and door jamb....That was one humongous Rattler!
Charlie was shot and killed while trying to break up a bar fight, just before Christmas of 43. Will always remember him in his usual Khaki pants & shirt with a white straw hat and that big S&W 38 hanging low on his right hip and drivin that Bonnie & Clyde Automobile..

Oh Lordy the memories are flooding back tonight!

That was the year,1943, that Pop came back from Radford to pick us up, Mom, Sis n me.Was about 8;30PM or so around Aug 23-24th . Grandpap had just closed the store and we were going to walk back around to their house on Clear Creek and Gramps looked up the Rd and saw headlights coming, so he said we'd wait just in case it was someone wanting a pack of cigarettes..
Well it was Uncle Bill had come down to tell us that uncle Ralph had been killed going ashore on New Georgia Island in the Solomon Islands on Aug 20th. He was just too big to be a Marine, too easy a target..
Anyway Pop went back to Radford, sent all our clothes down to Wildie sold the Terraplane and joined the Navy..
That's how we ended up in Shit City...
And I remember the 1st cold, cold day in March 0f 44 when we arrived there to live in Riverdale, South shit city, a quickly built project for Govt workers. Was a 2 BR Cement block row house with no inulation tile on cement floors and a coal stove to heat and cook.. Absolutly the worst day of my 8 years!
Gene
Old 10-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Registered-III

Gene, grandpaw was a deputy here for a good while, and when he'd be standing close on of the neighbors, he'd let it "slip" that he was gona be going through such & such holler the next day. A few of them didn't take the hint & lost their stills. Most were smart enuff to know when they were being warned.
I worked for the same outfit that owned the plant in Radford ,when I came home from Viet Nam, only the one I worked at was in DeSoto Kansas.
I live about 100 miles, or so west of Radford, 20 mi nw of Bristol.
PS I know about your uncle being too big. Several boys made fun of my short size in Nam, & I told them we called the biggn's "target". Theres been a lot of good men died, or wounded in more ways than just being shot, in defense of this great country of ours. I just wish that the younger generation were taught to appreciate that more.
David
Old 11-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Registered-II

What a great thread! David, all of the ready made concrete products are a little short on the cement side. Get yourself a bag of masonry cement to richen up the mix and you will like the way it sticks a lot better. Great project, good luck
Larry
The Following User Says Thank You to larrysiebert:
Old 11-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Registered

heres what i know,, limestone is what we have in kansas, were on an old place , that had running water in the house before no one eles did and there was running water in the barn and out door fosit , at the spring there a well house like 3' round and about 7' deep, covered with a lid ,ones a inlet, two pipes at the bottem , one the goes out to the sisterain,like a big bottle , the other goes out to a spliter, that went in to the old house , the other goes to the fosit, i had to pung it for hours til i got it to working,out of the bottle goes two more pipes, at the spring house it flows out the side at gound level, we've check the water and it good, after 100 years still working,
Old 11-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Registered

Default Re: Suggestions on building a Spring box! (Water Ram)

here some good ol stores,