Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Motors General Discussion Antique Generators, Light Plants and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Motors General Discussion

Yanmar 5kw Generator

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 3255 times

Old 11-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Registered-I

Default Yanmar 5kw Generator

I recently picked up a Yanmar TNG-5S generator with a TS105C single cylinder motor and a Nishinihon 5kw head. It was a backup power supply for a cabin and hadn't been run in some time. I bought it to learn a little bit about generators and to see if I could get it running again. The engine started right up but it appears that the governor/injector is off basis some surging and white exhaust. Next task will be to see if it puts out power. Any sources of information on this old generator or words of advise?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Yanmar 5kw Generator

Waterlogged,

White smoke I suspect is because its probably fairly cool there, engine was cold, and its not burning all the fuel. 3600 rpm is just a lot of speed for those little diesels to breath and try to burn the shot of fuel. If its cold outside, it may not clear up until you get load on it. Try getting enough load on it to get it to full load and see what happens. May blow a little visible black, but that will be pretty much expected. As for the surging, it probably will have some random misfires at that rpm until you get enough load on it to get the cylinder temp. hotter.

When I was in the military, we had some little 3kw units that used a Robin (I believe) diesel on them. Smoked to beat hell unless they were at full load, and even then usually just went from blue smoke to light black. They also misfired alot, and loaded up on raw fuel easily when they were cold. We tried an experiment once, to create a "pseudo turbocharger", using compressed air. The thing would carry 4kw without a trace of smoke. Guess they could have benefitted from a little "microturbo", if someone made such a thing.

As they are, load'er up to full load, and wait until it gets good and hot. If only a little visible trace of black smoke, its likely fine.

eric
Old 11-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Registered-I

Eric:

Thanks for posting the comments. I guess the simplest answer is to get the belts back on it and test your theory. Hopefully all it needs is a little generator load. I'll post back with results and pictures.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:15 AM
Registered-III

CLEAN,,, CLEAN fuel would be my first step.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Registered-I

I have 2 China clones of Yanars and recently got two that had been setting. They smoked, spit and spuddered from the old fuel and internal build up of it. I put a gallon of new fuel with the approxamitly gallon of old fuel. Then added 4 ounces of a product called Sea-Foam within twenty minutes it was running smooth and the exhauset was clear. They still smoke a little much on start up but they get better every time they are ran.

So as you said put them under a load with Sea-Foam in the tank with fres fuel and it should clear up.