Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

The Buckeye Machine Company...

this thread has 0 replies and has been viewed 883 times

Old 05-19-2002, 08:33 AM
Ralph M Bohm

Default The Buckeye Machine Company...

Hello Folks,

I am a full-time student and have just been hired by our Page Farm and Home Museum here at the University of Maine in Orono, Maine (http://www.ume.maine.edu/pfhm). I am considering a major project that will allow me credit for a few of my Mechanical Engineering Technology classes.

I recently discovered an old engine in a large, mostly abandoned, building in coastal Maine. It is diesel and must measure at least 10 feet by 6 feet, standing 10 feet high. There is a brass plate mounted on it saying the following: The Buckeye Machine Company Lima, Ohio Engine 70-71270 10x12 ...and stamped on a little flat area of that same brass (or bronze) plate: RPM 450 It must weigh a pretty hefty amount, and would cost me quite a bit just to move it. I believe it was being used for electrical generation.

My question is this: How would I find out, in what year, this engine was built? Is information available on the company who built it? Can parts be obtained if I were to attempt to get it running?

Thank you kindly in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Ralph M Bohm P. O. Box 562 Orono, Maine 04473 207-581-4100 Truckman @3me.com

The Page Farm and Home Museum
Sponsored Links