Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

Military generator ID

I got this generator years ago THe previous owner kindly remover ALL the ID info I would like to...

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 4107 times

Old 01-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Registered-I

Default Military generator ID

I got this generator years ago THe previous owner kindly remover ALL the ID info I would like to get some spare parts and a manual but need to to know what model it is
Thanks for your help
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1441.JPG   IMG_1443.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Sponsor

Default Re: Military generator ID

It appears to be an MEP-015A 120/240v AC or an MEP-025A 28v DC. With a -1 or -2 engine [oil bath air filter not paper air filter]. Engine is rated at 3.0HP and generator at 1.5KW.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Registered-III

b&p,

I agree with you that the base engine and generator look like the ones on my MEP-015, nothing else is familiar.

The frame, fuel tank, gauges, air filter, are all different, and not "Mil Standard" components for that era.

Perhaps it was originally built for another countries military?

eric
Old 01-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Registered-I

It is 120 only There are 2 lugs L1 and L2 so you can hardwire it to something. There is a red line at 12.5 amps on the gauge. You need to use the reostate to adjust the voltage. All writing is in English I have used military standard points in it.
Thanks for all your help
Dave
Old 01-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Registered-II

eairlier version of the mep-015a. looks 60s vintage. has the round frame oil bath cleaner and in very good shape. 1.5kw 3 1/2 hp. saturn surplus will have most all your engine parts NOS. i have one of these and their good runners.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Registered-I

I have found the manual for the engine it is a 2A016-1. The first version of this engine. I was narrowing this down to a late 50's early 60's unit. I am confortable with the engine. I would like to find out what model generator it is ad get a repair manual for it
Thanks for all the info
Dave
Is there an information data base on this site? I have some PDF manuals for some older machines that I would be happy to share with others. I am sure others have info to share as well
Old 01-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Registered-II

It appears to have low voltage connections and with 2 posts I would guess it is the 28 volt unit. I have never seen high voltage open like that, on any military unit I ever seen.

Rick
Old 01-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Registered-I

Its 120 It runs and works fine. Just would like to get a manual for the generator end of it.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Sponsor

https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/data...cfm?pin=013511

https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/data...cfm?pin=015378

Try these two links. Les
Old 02-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Registered-I

Thanks for the links but they have been dead for several days. Updated info THe fuel line hasa 1959 date. The volatge regulator is made by Regohm it appears the parrent company is stil around. I am sure it is of 1960's vintage. The newer 1.5 generator manuals are completely diferent. Any help on a model number would be great. I would be willing to buy a copy of a manual if someone has it.
Thanks Dave
Old 02-01-2009, 01:16 PM

Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,107 Posts
Talking Re: Military generator ID

I have both those manuals in my Archives, if you PM me, with a valid eMail address that can accept LARGE Attachments, we can fix you up.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Registered-I

Thank you for everone who has helped me trying to id this unit. I think this unit predates the MEP 015A I have a picture of the regulator. You can see it is nothing like the MEP 015A. It works fine for now. but without a manual or testing notes I think I would be hard pressed to fix it, let alone the lack of parts. Which brings me to a question. It would seam a genric sort of regulator might be avalable. I have a general grasp of how the regulator works and they all should be basicly the same. Is a universal replacment avalable?
Thanks Dave
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1448.JPG  
Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Registered-III

SG-15 1.5 Kw 120 volts at 13 amps AC generator, right after the model PE and before the model CE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Udj5DyLukJM
Old 03-01-2012, 02:01 AM
Registered-II

nice gen set trowel. my mep-015 has a switch in the inside of the control box so you can switch it from 120v to 240v how have you been tryed to call you a couple of times . hope you are going to restore that gen set.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Registered-III

Things has been out of control as of late, another family member passed away this summer which was very hard for me i fell into a run of bad luck for months were nothing good would happen.
I saw your number but lost the will to contact you or any of my friends.
Im saving this genset, lator model MEP fuel tank and ignition coils came in from Saturn Surplus yesterday.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Registered-II

hope everything get better for you soon. good luck getting it restored i did have an extra coil backing plate for the 2ao16 for the point setup no coils though i will try to call you again soon .
Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Registered-III

I finally have a few days off from work (morning and closing shift)
Did a double take on the MEP type fuel tank and will save it for a different project.
Decided to save the original fuel tank and is going to try a highly recommended fuel tank sealer by Lee W. Pedersen after the holes are repaired, just found out that the sealer can be used on cork floats too.
Im willing to stand corrected if others are willing to correct regarding the sealer on cork floats.
The original fuel tank has a fuel level gauge with a cork float at the end of the level rod that needs sealing.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Registered-II

trowel the sealer from lee works great thats what i ended up using on the military foam floats . when you use it on floats you have to put on light coats and make shure you get all the imperfections filled and get it coated good around the float pivot arm where it goes into the foam. i also used this sealer on the fuel gauge float and gas tank on my m5 gen set that has not leaked yet i coated it in augest the thing with this sealer is to let it dry for 5 days after the last coat. and over night between coats what ever you dont use just put it back in the can and seal it up tight they you can reuse it.tryed calling you tonight but couldnt get through.

the fuel gauge i did also had a coark float the sealer stuck very well i used a small paint brush to apply it to the floats. enamel reducer works to clean up the brushes and other tools this gets onto
Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Registered-I

Trowel, I had one of those generators a little while back. If you do power anything with it, DON'T FORGET TO GROUND IT TO THE EARTH with a piece of re-bar and wire. The tech. manual I had said a generous shock might be experienced if one fails to ground the unit, and then touches it while it is operating.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:35 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Military Dave View Post
... DON'T FORGET TO GROUND IT TO THE EARTH with a piece of re-bar and wire. ...
Personally, don't use rebar, use proper grounding rod. You can get them at most hardware stores, they are not expensive. Steel with a copper plating (which allows better conductivity with ground). There are fittings to connect the ground wire to the rod as well.

If this is a (semi-)permanent installation, use two or more ground rods, spaced apart three or so feet, and a single contiguous ground wire attached to all three. If the soil is dry, and a poor conductor (such as sand) adding both water and even an electrolyte (such as rock salt) is necessary to get the best ground.

A copper or steel water pipe that is in the ground is good too, but be aware that most buried water pipes today are plastic, even though the part you see is metal. If you use a water pipe for grounding, check its ground resistance first. You may find that there is only a few inches of metal in the soil then a transition to plastic piping.

But use proper ground rods and not rebar!