Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel Engines

Early Diesel Truck engines

I am looking for info on early truck diesels. There is a lot of Cummins, GM, and Mack info on their...

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 6271 times

Old 01-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Registered

Default Early Diesel Truck engines

I am looking for info on early truck diesels. There is a lot of Cummins, GM, and Mack info on their pre WW2 engines. I would like to know more about Buda, Waukesha, The Enterprise monovalve engine, Hercules, and engines used in conversions such as Hill. Looking for data, pictures, information, stories etc. Can't seem to find much infor on the net.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Early Diesel Truck engines

Hill partnered with IH in some early development. Hill was related to Ransom E. Olds in some way- there's a photo over the in the REO mseum in Lansing of a IH truck with a Hill Diesel circa 1930. There's a little bit of information in the IH archives aout the involvement with Hill, which I don't think reall ever contributed to IH Diesel engines.

A REO powered with a Hill Diesel did a cross country trip in the 30s somewhere.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:05 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts

Even though CAT did not build diesels for trucks in the 30's, many were swaped into trucks according to a Cat history book I have.

Kent
Old 01-18-2009, 01:55 AM
Registered-III

For information, hie thee down to your local public library for reference copies (you'll have to read them there at the library) of Mroz's truck book or Georgano's big truck book, which have thumbnails of builders, often including some data on engines used.
Mroz is US only, Georgano is world trucks; I understand the US info is basically the same in both.
Fr'instance, a 36 King catalog shows Clydesdale with three Buda and three Herc diesels for 36, but Mroz says also used Wauk-Hesselmans in 37-38 (end of prod).
Note some that sound interesting, and if no engine ID is shown I'll check my catalogs to see which ones are named, altho my stuff is heavier on gas than diesels. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:14 AM

Thanked 1,971 Times in 686 Posts

A lot of this stuff has gone now, and not many people post to the web with it, but there are still a lot of early books around on early diesels, and the main one we use for reference is the American Diesel Engine Catalog, ours is a 1949 copy.

There is an approximately equal British Diesel Engine Catalogue which we have three issues of and so on.

Hunting the old bookshops is one way of finding them, or search one of the secondhand bookshops on the net.

Peter
Old 01-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Registered-III

A couple more little books your library might have (and can be picked up more or less cheap on EBay etc) are:
(1) "Thompson's Stock Truck and Ind'l Engines, Diesel", a little 6x9 probably 100pg or so PB. Mine's dated 1948, supposedly covers 39-48.
Lists 10 Buda's, 9 Herc's and a few Wauk-Hesselmans, along with some "mainline m'f'r" engines; I doubt those were the only Buda and Herc diesels in use at the time as there were several more Wauk-H's than are listed.
(2) "Thompson's Repair And Tune-Up Manual,Vol II, Trucks, Buses, Tractors,Diesel Engines, etc.", like the above but thicker; mine is 1941-50. Along with gas engines and the mainline mfr's, it lists 12 Buda's, 3 Cont'ls, 7 Herc Series and some Wauk-H's. No diesels are listed for H-S, Bvr/LeRoi, Lycoming or water-cooled Wisconsin, but that doesn't mean some couldnt've been in use.
I don't know when Motor published it's first Diesel Repair Manual; my 1950 is just gas, but it has a number of the prewar makes and the engines they used. If there's a comparable Diesel manual it may also list some of the long-gone makes and any diesels they used.
By "early" I'm assuming you mean pre-WWII.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Registered-III

Bud: I had a first edition of the Motor's truck manual I gave it away to a good home. That was 20 years ago. I wish I had it back. But it did have diesel information in it. It was either 1942 or maybe 43. One of the interesting engines in there was Dodge Diesel!.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Registered-III

To my knowledge they were all gas engines, But where does Hall Scott fit in this picture? Also were there any Continental diesels?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:15 AM
Registered-III

John: The three Cont diesels shown in the second Thompson book I mentioned are:
KD6330---4x43/8;
RD6572---43/4x53/8;
TD6427---45/16x47/8.
The three and their basic specs, incl injection pump timing and adjustment (Bosch PSA, APE, Excello KD,KF,KB) are all on one page; can mail copy if you'd like.
Most of my parts catalogs don't ID gas/diesel, but I do have a 1966 Thompson bearing book showing a batch of Cont diesels: ED's, GD's,HD's and a JD382, in addition to the above. A later Wix catalog lists LD's, SD's and ZD's (ZD's ???: Z129, ZD129, ZD129F,Z145, ZD144!!).
Somewhere here I've got another that shows gas/diesel, I think a later one, but it's not where it should be (not unusual!).
I don't know much about H-S, so don't know if they ever made diesels.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Registered-III

My brother in-law had one of those 427 cubic inch versions on an irrigation pump. I had a tech call one time on a ZD crankshaft. Of course the R model gas engines were used in Army trucks and Brockway trcucks, The JD 382 would have been in a M-H 55/555 tractor. I had one at school out of a fire truck that had a ballancer in the pan. Never heard of the KD versions. GD of IH 350 fame as well as some Case crawlers. I will get with you later.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Registered-II

I have a good bit of literature collected over the years on early diesels.Some with early european attempts to power trucks w/diesel.I have a copy of an article describing the REO trip w/hill diesel in approx 1030.Ransom E Olds (REO) owned Hill Diesel of Lansing Mi.at this time so we would expect to see it in their truck wouldn't we.I have a Hill model 4F made in 1953 on a 15 KW military generator.MOTORS truck manual of 1946 listed current common truck diesels including the Waukesha-Hesselman and Dodge diesel.If I can develop the skill with my scanner for acceptable posts I'll share here if there is intrest.I have good pics of the American Monovalve but never saw anything on its use in a truck.I would think the necessary low exhaust back pressure which would prevent the use of muffler would be a deterrant although I'm sure they tried.I don't see how the Monovalve could be muffled and breath properly.The only small Hall-Scott diesels I have seen listed were marine in the 40's-50's.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Registered

A few Enterprise monovalve were installed in AC Mack tandems with single chain drive. They were tankers, 3 axles and full trailers. No other info.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Registered

Would love to see the Enterprise pictures if you could scan them and post. Would also love to see the Hill Reo article scanned and posted if you can
Old 01-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Registered-III

There is a building featuring Hill Diesels at Michigan Steam Thresher's grounds at Mason, MI. I don't know who has these engines. Someone from that club should be able to supply that information. Their show is late July.
There also is a REO truck club. They did a 100th anniversary at Lansing, MI some years ago, I think 2003. We exhibited OLDS engines with them at that time.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:02 PM
Registered-III

If this thread is still active, I was going thru a 36 parts catalog that happened to ID diesels (most don't, just give engine model #) and noted:
Gramm model ED, 3-41/2Ton, listed a Cummins 4H 1932-34; other models had Cummins 6H 32-36+? and a Buda D6-415 35-36+?
FWD model TD72, 25-30Ton (I assume off-road mining, etc) listed the Cummins 6H.
Fageol (var models) used the Wauk 6D125 and 6D140 1935-36+? (these would be true diesels, not the Hesselman spark"diesels").
Didn't get pat the G's but probably will later; you didn't say how you defined "early"...
Note: the "36+?" means that since catalog pub in 1936, engine may've been used in later years also.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:51 AM
Registered-I

John,
Hall Scott only made 6 engines into diesel, and they were just prototypes, it never went into production, even tho they did advertize about having them, there were some gas converted into diesels, truck and marine. As far as I know no stationary size HS were converted as far as I can find out.