Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

Repowering Cub Cadet With Hatz Diesel

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 5554 times

Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Registered-II

Cool Repowering Cub Cadet With Hatz Diesel

Hello my name is Cory Willbanks im new to the garden tractor portion of the site. I have two single cylinder Hatz diesel engines one is a nine hp and the other is thirteen im looking at buying a a hydrostatic cub cadet at the local scrap yard and repowering it with one of these any suggestions?

Thanks very much,
Cory Willbanks
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2009, 02:09 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Repowering Cub Cadet With Hatz Diesel

Well I went down this morning and got the tractor and got it all straightened back out (the claw at the scrap yard is hard on sheet metal) I got the engine fit in it and all hooked up started it and it doesn't even attempt to move the tires so I changed oil and filter in the hydro drive and still nothing. The tractor itself is a 1650 Cub Cadet with a hydrostatic drive. Can anyone help me? Fluid couplings is new technology to me.

All help greatly appreciated

Cory Willbanks
Old 01-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Registered-III

If the hydro is shaft driven make shure you are running it in the proper direction first off. I bought a used snapper that had sat for several years, and after repairing the engine it took 10 plus minuts to get it to pull due to air in the hydro system. Mabey it was on its side or upside down and got air in it? I have a yard machine hydro set up that has a v belt pully bolted on top, and if i put a socket on my dewalt and spin the pully from the hub nut it will slowly crawl. You may be able to try turning the drive shaft on the cub the same way. I dont think anything over 6 horse should not have much trouble pulling a hydro around.
Good luck and post a pic when your done.
Coley
Old 01-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Registered-III

These guys can probably help you http://ihregistry.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

J.I.M.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Registered-II

Well I appreciate the help guys but I figured what I was doing wrong my engine turns it bass ackwards. I don't know how familiar you guys are with these engines but the only place to drive off of them is the fly wheel so im kinda cornered. But any way I welded a nut on the end of the driveline and put my impact gun on it and it will move the tractor if I spin it counter clock wise but it does nothing if I spin it clockwise (the way my engine turns it) direction of spinning is determined by looking at the front of the tractor. Is there something I can change in the pump to make it work the other way or will I have to find some sort of a reverser box or redneck engineer some sort of a chain or belt drive?

All help greatly appreciated,
Cory Willbanks
Old 01-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Registered-III

Chain or belt wont reallt do the trick unless you run the belt in a figur 8 (twistes in the middle). A gear to gear drive will reverse it. I have ran into this before.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:39 AM
Registered-II

Yeah I have been contemplating on how to go about doing this and im down to running a new shaft clear out to the front of the tractor with a pillow block bearing on the end of it and flipping my engine around and using a belt or a chain. Or using a gear drive by the way you wouldn't happen to know where to get one of those because it would have to be 1:1 ratio. But my first option is im going to call a repair shop on monday that specializes in rebuilding hyrdrostatic units and see if there is something I can change on the chrage pump to make it work with my currrent setup (backwards) because I did a little research and just about all of the lawn tractor manufacturers and some sideroll (or wheel line irrigation) mover manufacturers used these hydrostat units they are made by Sundstrand Sauer now Sauer Danfoss and im pretty sure they all didn't drive backwards like these they used the pto end of the engine which would turn it clock wise. Obviously this will make all the controls work backwards but thats a small speed bump. Thanks for the help everyone!

Cory Willbanks
Old 01-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfreakcjw View Post
Well I appreciate the help guys but I figured what I was doing wrong my engine turns it bass ackwards. I don't know how familiar you guys are with these engines but the only place to drive off of them is the fly wheel so im kinda cornered. But any way I welded a nut on the end of the driveline and put my impact gun on it and it will move the tractor if I spin it counter clock wise but it does nothing if I spin it clockwise (the way my engine turns it) direction of spinning is determined by looking at the front of the tractor. Is there something I can change in the pump to make it work the other way or will I have to find some sort of a reverser box or redneck engineer some sort of a chain or belt drive?

All help greatly appreciated,
Cory Willbanks
Yeah, I have been there and I know what you are talking about with the drivetrain of these old cubs. Does the hatz have the same mounting on the flywheel? The only way i can see this working is if you mount up the drivetrain to the flywheel, maybe the original flywheel from the kohler engine would bolt up to the hatz. Also, I noticed you said you had TWO hatz deisel engines *cough* cough*
Old 01-26-2009, 01:28 AM
Registered-II

Well I solved almost all of my problems today. Last night I figured out the manufacturer of the hydrostat unit its made by Sundstrand Sauer (Now Sauer Danfoss) so i got on their web site and found a down loadable technical manual on it. I started looking through the pages on how to disassemble the unit and it said when removing charge pump be sure to mark which side of the housing faced up and thats when it hit me.....I thought what would happen if I purposely reversed the housing then the suction and the discharge on the charge pump would be opposite of the current setup and would pump oil towards the axial piston pump and motor instead of away from it. Thats all it took I got to drive it around quite a bit today(Whoo Hoo) but now I face another challenge since im turning it backwards my forward is now reverse and reverse is forward so i can go half as fast forward as in reverse so i need to modify the control linkage to fix this. I also rigged up a hand throttle out of the old throttle cable off my snowmobile and some 1" steel strap it works great. I have a small leak though on one of the check valves on the top of the pump so i tore it apart and put new o rings in it still leaked. Then remembered when I was running around this summer stacking one ton bales with our Stinger Hay Stacker that I saw a pile of these small hydrostat units at a farmer's house that are junk he pulled them off of some side roll irrigation pipe movers so im gonna go see if i can talk him out of some check valves. I took some pictures of the setup today ill see if I can get them developed tomorrow to show how I hooked everything up. The Hatz that I used I pulled off a plate compactor also at the salvage yard and it had a large centrifugal clutch on it so I drove all that stuff off the center shaft and drilled a 5/8" hole in the center (the size of the cub drive line) then drilled a 1/4" hole all the way through the both of them and ran a bolt through it. I couldn't have used the Kohler engine flywheel because lol the engine was gone along with the hood etc. Lol sorry CubCadet107 i think might hang on to the other engine im looking at building a wood splitter with it besides it was about 2 inches too wide to fit between the frame rails on the cub I had to shave the mounting brackets on the current one to get it to fit. Thanks so very much everyone and I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

Cory Willbanks
Old 01-26-2009, 01:56 AM
Registered-II

Congrats on getting it running and working!!! Can't wait to see some pics. If you ever decide to "get rid" of one of those Hatz you know who to contact I'm sure my 10hp kohler would make a great log splitter engine lol. Kudos on your project.
Jordan Frank
Old 01-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Registered-II

Ha ha ten four i'll keep you posted and thanks again everyone.