Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Question about DRIP GAS

We used to run the engines on casing head Natural gas it came right out of the ground as a vapor.....

this thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 3469 times

Old 01-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Registered-III

Question Question about DRIP GAS

We used to run the engines on casing head Natural gas it came right out of the ground as a vapor.. The nat. gas was piped to the engine/s . every day or so we HAD to drain the Gas (liquid) out of the pipe. We called this liquid casin head. I have put it in my car & it ran in a pinch. I was wondering about just how far this is from gasoline? any info on this liquid? If you search for the thread poop gas, you will see that I just might be able to generate liquid gas also!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: ? about DRIP GAS ?

Very interesting!

Some info!!? http://books.google.com/books?id=1Ek...WIfTj4#PPA7,M1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wegotallama:
Old 01-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Subscriber

Don't know the answer to your question, but my father in law used to work in Citronelle, Al. and he'd bring me 55 gallon drums of the stuff, for free. Heaven forbid, now, but I used to use it to wash parts in, outside, of course, and you could burn it in an internal combustion engine. It didn't have any octane booster so it was a low compression fuel. It was, I guess, pure gasoline, in a sense.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Registered-III

wegotallma,
I read this like I could make a TEE off the small poop plant of maybe 10 joints of black pipe. fill it with methane gas from the plant then put a VACUUM. on that strech. if on a down hill slope I should produce enough gas to use in a small way. I could have this going and never disturb the main plant? OR would It be better to use THE PREESURE route? pressure would be way-way easier!
And yes we had lots of this gas in the oilfields & it was just a free by product that had to be disposed of.I used to pinch a tank full every so often there was a 350 barell tank that stayed full all the time . every so often it was dry I wondered where it went. maybe to the gas pump? or back in the ground ,who knows?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Registered-III

Back in the 60s my inlaws lived outside Centralia IL and my father inlaw ran his old 54 Chev on straight drip gas that he caught in buckets at leaking joints in the crude oil pipe lines.
all he did was filter it through some rags and pour it in the tank. The Chev. always ran.

Iron Wolf
Old 01-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by "TheToolman" View Post
I read this like I could make a TEE off the small poop plant of maybe 10 joints of black pipe. fill it with methane gas from the plant then put a VACUUM. on that strech. if on a down hill slope I should produce enough gas to use in a small way.
Even simple terminology can get confusing. In order to relieve any ambiguity, or perhaps simply because I'm a freak, I like to use the term "gasoline" when referring to light hydrocarbons, i.e. pentane, hexane, heptane, octane, and nonane, that are liquid at atmospheric pressure and "gas" for lighter hydrocarbons, i.e. methane, ethane, propane, and butane, that are gaseous at atmospheric pressure. Hence, when I pull my truck into the filling station, I pump the tank full of 'gasoline' not 'gas'. That being painfuly said...............
If you are thinking you can pull a vacuum on digester gas (methane) and magically turn it into a flammable liquid (gasoline), you can't. You can pull a vacuum on methane 'til the cows come home to refill your digester, but will you always still have methane. The action of putting an oil well under vacuum doesn't create gasoline out of the methane, it merely causes the already-existing gasoline to 'boil off' of the liquid petroleum at the bottom of the well and be carried up the well with the methane. Compressing and cooling of the vapor-rich gas then causes the higher-boiling fractions to condense back into liquid gasoline. Even the most well-designed digester won't make gasoline, only methane.

Kirk

........yes, I tend to annoy a lot of people..........
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kirk Taylor:
Old 01-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
wegotallma,
I read this like I could make a TEE off the small poop plant of maybe 10 joints of black pipe. fill it with methane gas from the plant then put a VACUUM. on that strech. if on a down hill slope I should produce enough gas to use in a small way. I could have this going and never disturb the main plant? OR would It be better to use THE PREESURE route? pressure would be way-way easier!
And yes we had lots of this gas in the oilfields & it was just a free by product that had to be disposed of.I used to pinch a tank full every so often there was a 350 barell tank that stayed full all the time . every so often it was dry I wondered where it went. maybe to the gas pump? or back in the ground ,who knows?

It reads like there was a market for it back in the teens and early twenties. Wonder what happened after that?

So,Toolman, you worked in the oilfields? Maybe you know somebody who knows somebody that knows what they do with it now?

If it is as it looked in the book.....sell small amounts to old engine folks?...probably too risky with shipping etc. But if you had a gasoline truck?? Insurance would probably kill you....there was a lot of talk about "white gas" and camp fuels etc. ..... anyone out there work in the fields that could get some and see how it works in a hit & miss?

Just thinkin' with my fingers.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,567 Times in 484 Posts
Default Re: Question about DRIP GAS

This stuff is low octane and vaporizes very easy. It is dangerous to keep because the fumes will fill the area, very explosive. It is now pumped though the pipelines and used in the refineries.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J.B. Castagnos:
Old 01-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Registered-III

Casing head gas is required by law to be put back into the well, at least here in Western PA. A very few pumpers still manage to produce a little bit for their own use but it's all but impossible to find now. I have only a gallon or two left after using it periodically for the last 20 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to flasks:
Old 01-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by flasks View Post
Casing head gas is required by law to be put back into the well, at least here in Western PA. A very few pumpers still manage to produce a little bit for their own use but it's all but impossible to find now. I have only a gallon or two left after using it periodically for the last 20 years.
Too bad, sounds like it would be a good alternative to Camp stove fuel for use in our engines.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Subscriber

I suspect the drip gas also contained benzene, a natural component of crude oil. They go to great lengths to remove benzene from refined gasoline these days.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Keifer View Post
I suspect the drip gas also contained benzene, a natural component of crude oil. They go to great lengths to remove benzene from refined gasoline these days.
A carcinogen! We used to synthesize it in chemistry class and made a good cleaning fluid. Also was a component in lighter fluid.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Registered-III

I worked with a guy from Oklahoma. When he was a kid they had a gas well on their farm. The gas was run through a condensor. "House gas", a gas, came out one end that was used for the gas stove and heat. "Drip gas" , a liquid, came out the other end and was used in the tractor. Very similar to camp fuel or kerosene.

keithw
Old 01-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Question about DRIP GAS

I was also thinking along the CONDENSER lines. if Gas (vapor) was in a tank or line it should sweat -condense - on the pipe walls & run down hill to the lowest point where I can capture it, drain it off, separate water ,. to run in my engines.I was thinking that if I compressed the GAS it might make the process produce more. look at an air compressor & the water it makes.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,262 Times in 683 Posts

My dad knew a guy who hit it big in the oil fields north of here, back in the 50's. He mentioned once that they had trouble w/the local hot-rodders stealing their drip gas, because it made their cars run better...in addition to being free, I guess..so, I suspect the octane rating may be better than you think. He also said it burned hot & dry, they ran upper-cylinder lubers w/Marvel Mystery oil to keep from burning valves on some winch trucks & stuff they just ran around the patch. The first "unleaded" fuel...
Old 01-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Banner Sponsor

Thanked 3,180 Times in 454 Posts

I still know guys that run it in their pick up trucks around the oilfields in southeastern Ohio. I can still get some when I want off our wells. I know some pumpers that dump it in the crude oil tanks and it thins down the crude so it pumps easier in the winter.

Tom Winland
Ohio
Old 01-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Registered-III

Tom,
I used to drain it out of the GAS lines so the engines would not pick up liquid. I think that the PIPE way I am talking of should work.What do you think? that is where it came from, just out of the pipe in my powerhouse days.
I am hooking it up to see.I wish i had a string of tubing on a sled I would hook the whole string up & leave it on the sled.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Keifer View Post
why is that?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegotallama View Post
Too bad, sounds like it would be a good alternative to Camp stove fuel for use in our engines.
that is exactly what I want it for!
Old 02-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
why is that?
Benzene is a human carcinogen. There is enough skin contact and inhalation of fumes while filling your tank to be of concern.