Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Keystone air compressor

Today I picked up a really cool little two cylinder air compressor. I was looking around for some...

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 4344 times

Old 02-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Registered-III

Default Keystone air compressor

Today I picked up a really cool little two cylinder air compressor. I was looking around for some info on it, and didn't find much. I was hoping someone out here in engine land may be able to help me. The words on the side of the crankcase are: Keystone Compressor Company, Holmesburg Phila. PA. U.S.A. Pat Nov 20 23 Dec 13 27. Other patents pending. It is 13 inches long, and the pulley is 10 1/2" in diameter. Any help would be apprecated!
Thanks, Eric
Attached Thumbnails
air1.jpg   air2.jpg   air3.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Registered

Default Re: Keystone air compressor

I have the same air compressor listed above w/ the same patent dates. Have you found any info on it? Mine only builds up pressure to about 60 psi. I think it'll go higher but it takes forever. If I put my hand over the intakes I can feel a difference in the suction. I cleaned both of the one-way air valves in each cylinder but maybe I didn't seat one correctly. I'll look again tomorrow. Really hoping it's not much more than that.

Thanks for any info
Cousin Paul
Old 03-15-2012, 02:26 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,300 Times in 644 Posts

I had one of those 20 years ago, it did 150 psi without a problem. After a year or so of heavy use it started knocking, went to take it apart and made a HUGE mistake. That compressor has 1 piston, and no piston rod. If you decide to open it up be VERY careful, if low pressure cylinder gets too low in the bore there is a groove that the rings will pop into, and there is no way in Hadees to get them back in. I ended up destroying the piston trying to get it out. The knocking, it was just a roller bearing going bad, but it did not matter because piston was unobtainium..

Got the compressor for free, almost died getting it out of the attic of a service station, spent the entire night working to get it out, demo crew was scheduled to be there at 8am.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,300 Times in 644 Posts

Yes, 1 piston, made of aluminum, it just oscillates back and forth, there is a low side (larger dia) and high side (smaller dia)chamber. Eccentric on the crank has a roller bearing with a square block on it to drive the piston. Very cool design.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Registered-III

That's smaller than my Keystone, I still have the compressor complete, original tank, elec. motor and compressor.

Jim
Old 03-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Registered

I swapped the cylinder heads, they are identical, and the low vacuum seemed to follow. I cleaned the metal valve surfaces w/ emory cloth and that seemed to help. The compressor builds up to 100psi and then shuts off. After it leaks to 75 it'll start up again. At least that works. It still seems slow to build up pressure but I'll use it as it is.....

Cousin Paul