Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

John Deere 3hp cart?

Can anyone tell me the surefire way to tell if a john deere 3hp cart is original? Also pictures of...

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 1145 times

Old 03-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Registered-II

Default John Deere 3hp cart?

Can anyone tell me the surefire way to tell if a john deere 3hp cart is original? Also pictures of one if anyone has any handy. Thanks for all the help this site is the best..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2009, 04:37 PM

Default Re: John Deere 3hp cart?

there is no 3 h.P. john deere cart. they used the same cart that is under the 1-1/2 H.P engine for the 3 H.P. engine. and it is not that great for the weight of the 3 h.p. The 6 H.P. cart is much larger.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Subscriber

An original cart will have the JD part number cast onto the inside spoke of the wheels and on the axles. The 1 1/2 and 3 Hp are the same but obviously the 3HP skids are longer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Gorsuch:
Old 03-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Registered-II

Default Help Identifying cart

I bought this cart today with a 3hp John Deere sitting on it. From an earlier thread I posted yesterday, I believe it is not a John deere cart. Anyone have any idea who made this cart, and what was supposed to sit on it? The front wheels are 15 1/2" diameter, the rears are 14" diameter. There is a 6612 cast on the top of the bracket above the steering spindle in the front, I saw a cart with the same style spokes on a completed ebay listing that was supposedly a stickney cart. Any help appreciated

Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails
engine 002.jpg   engine 006.jpg  
Old 03-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Help Identifying cart

More Pictures of the cart
Attached Thumbnails
engine 001.jpg   engine 004.jpg  
Old 03-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Registered-II

Thanks for the responses. I bought the engine and cart. Neat cart though. Thanks again
Old 03-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Card Sponsor

Thanked 1,511 Times in 192 Posts
Default Re: Help Identifying cart

It looks similiar to a Jacob Hash built cart to me, but there are features I don't recognize, although if I had to guess, thats what I'd say. Someone will prove me wrong I'm sure.
Shelby Babcock
Old 03-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Subscriber

Rock Island
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Cwach:
Old 03-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Registered-II

john deere did make a cart for the 3hp. in the later production of the 3hp.You will not find maney around. They are rare.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Subscriber

That is an Alamo cart and Alamo sold their engines badged as many things amongst which was Rock Island. It is a cart for 3 horse I'm pretty sure and maybe some higher horsepower too, I don't know.

Below 3 horse used a different setup that with a plank deck and different wheels, bolsters, and etc.

Flip it over and clean the rails carefully and you may luck out and find "Alamo Engine Co. Hillsdale Mich stenciled on the underneath side of a rail. I found that on mine. Later, I repainted mine except in that area.

Very nice cart !!
The Following User Says Thank You to KidDynamo:
Old 03-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Registered-II

Kid Dynamo thanks, I flipped it over, and it says jones&laughlin???? Could this be the steel company the rails were purchased from???
Old 03-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Subscriber

Ha Ha .....! After I posted, I saw that Mr. Madison had posted on your other thread with the answer of Rock Island. I think he is right, too.

I've always kind of put Alamo in the proprietary position because I think they made the Rock Island engines at least during one era, but not all. Who exactly made the carts is hard to know absolutely.

Jones & Laughlin is not a name that rings a bell for me but what the heck do I know?

I would not be surprised if these carts were used by various companies, in fact. My Wendel's gas engine book is not handy but I think it would be worth looking at the Rock Island engines in there and see if this cart might turn up under the maker that preceded Alamo as a supplier of Rock Island engines.

The numbering system for the cart's castings do fall right into line with all other Alamo numbers but some minute details are discovered as we plod along in this hobby.

My cart's stenciled lettering is kind of a simple but professionally painted with stenciled lettering that withstood 80 years of grease and then a cleaning. I didn't expect to see it but it popped out and there it was.

Is your lettering a professional looking job in just one place? Sometimes the steel rolling mills had their name rolled on the steel every couple of feet but not always. I can't remember if mine had that or not.

Maybe your cart will lead us to learn a few things but you know at least two 2 engine makes that we are pretty darn sure used that cart.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Subscriber

I have seen several 3hp Deeres on Waterloo Boy trucks. I was told by an old timer that a lot of John Deere dealers ordered the heavier Waterloo style trucks with the cast iron wheels and bolsters to supply with the 3 hp engines. John Deere was actually still making the Waterloo Boys when the first E models came out so the Waterloo trucks were surely available to dealers throughout the 20's and probably through the 40's.