Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors Discussion on old marine engines, naptha, gas, oil or steam and vintage outboard motors.

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors

Cruise ship engine photos?

I'm leaving tomorrow for for Miami and some time on a Carnival cruise ship. I will ask if I can...

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 10427 times

Old 03-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Subscriber

Default Cruise ship engine photos?

I'm leaving tomorrow for for Miami and some time on a Carnival cruise ship. I will ask if I can get a tour of the engine room. I'm not sure if they allow that or not. If they say yes, I'll see if they allow photos. If yes, would anyone like to see the pictures? I'll be back in a week.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Cruise ship engine photos?

Sure would be different from what we normally see.
Have fun on the cruise!
Old 03-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,269 Posts

I wouldn't get your hopes up... Between Union rules, OSHA and 'Company Policy' (the bigger the company, the more they are likely to deny your request because of liability issues) you may have a tough time getting to see them. I won't say you can't, but it may take some smooth talk to the right person. Back in '86 I was on a day trip off of Fiji where they took you out to their island for a day of eating, drinking, partying & swimming. Their boat was pretty small (100ft +/-) run by a bunch of guys that didn't take anything too seriously. I got to see a lot of that boat....
Good luck and take lots of pictures if you get lucky.

I Can Probably Fix That

Last edited by John Newman, Jr.; 03-15-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,885 Times in 1,723 Posts

A few years ago, a couple of friends of mine who have odd senses of humor went with their wives on a Caribbean cruise.

They quickly got bored so asked around if they could see the engine room. They were told that it was a big No-No.

One of the guys came up with the idea that they could put on dress shirts backwards, wear their dark suit jackets then present themselves at the engine room door as Priests wanting to bless the engines.

The crew must have been Catholic because they were respectfully allowed into the engine room. They then had to bless the engines in front of the engine crew. They got away with it but I don't think I would have had the nerve.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elden DuRand:
Old 03-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Subscriber

Thats a very great and creative Idea. I don't think I could pull it off.
I'll try my best to get in there within the rules.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Registered-II

I have had many friends go on several cruises and they have always been denied a chance to view the engines
Old 03-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Registered-II

With the current security concerns, they my not even like being asked let alone allow pictures. You might also get and extra search of your possessions on the way home.
A while back we were on our way to Miami for a cruise and my wife needed a carry-on bag so I tossed her an extra that I used for toting misc things. While going through security she went to pick up the bag and suddenly the bag went one way, she was told to stand in a circle and wait and I was told to keep my distance! They scanned the bag, unpacked the bag, tested the bag and finally let us go telling us that for some strange reason that it had tested positive for nitrates! As it turns out, I shoot black powder and had used the bag to carry powder and shooting supplies not long before that.
I've been married long enough to know better than to tell her, I just watch which bag I give her and keep my mouth shut!
Have fun and think before you pack!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:10 AM

Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,121 Posts
Talking Re: Cruise ship engine photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Thomas View Post
As it turns out, I shoot black powder and had used the bag to carry powder and shooting supplies not long before that.
You ought to watch them jump, every time I travel and go thru the Scanners, with my Briefcase, loaded with Radio Gear, and smeared with lots of NitroOrganics from my Past Life as a Powderman, The local Guys all know me, now, and just smile, but TSA Guys at the other Airports all go NUTS, when the Sniffer goes BZZZZZT, BZZZZT, BZZZZT.... and I have to explain what the deal is.... It IS noted on my Passport RFID Tag, NOW.....
Old 03-16-2009, 02:21 AM
Registered-II

When my Dad went on a cruise a few years ago on Carnavals brand new Extascy he was given a tour of the engine room. It was actually one of the listed tours on the boat, open to everyone that wanted to go.

Unlike my cruise on the T.S.S. Festival, when I couldn't get a look at the turbine, or boilers if my life depended on it
Old 03-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Registered-I

I'm sure Grape is probably gone by now, but had to put in my 2 cents worth. We went on a cruise to Mexico on the Carnival ship "Spirit" about this time last year. I asked to see the engine room, and was told in no uncertain terms that even many crew members are not allowed there, and I certainly would not get to see it! It's all because of Homeland Insecurity.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:17 PM

Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,121 Posts
Talking Re: Cruise ship engine photos?

Actually, Homeland Security has very little to say about Shipboard Policy on Foreign Flagged Vessels, which 99% of the LARGE Cruise Ships are these days. They have Limited Say when the ship is in US Coastal Waters, and No Say, except by International Convention, or Treaty with the Nation of Flag, when the ship is on the High Seas. In all actuality, the Captain is the absolute Master of the vessel, and EVERYONE onboard does what He Says. I made a career out of Inspecting SOLAS Required Passenger Vessels, and have seen a lot of things that would be Great, Tall Tails of the Sea, in that time...
Old 03-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Subscriber

I'm back from our vacation. Carnival Imagination is a great ship and all of you were right. No way, No how. They said it was insurance and safety concerns. They then told me I could go to the gift shop and buy a DVD that tells about the ship and the engines. I previewed it in the store and there was about 20 seconds and didn't show much.
It did say the ship had 6 diesel engines. 4 were 12 cyl. and developed 7 thousand HP each and 2 were 8 cyl. diesels but it didn't say the HP for those. When at sea 3 of the of big ones and one of the little ones ran at all times generating electricity.
The other two are back up and ran while others are being maintained.
Like a locomotive, Electric motors turn the props, no more long shafts.
That's my report. Sorry I couldn't get more.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Subscriber

A valiant try and it never hurts to ask. Seems we have lost something in this day and age. No wonder the youth have no interest in such things when it is so inaccessible.

L
www.engineutopia.com
Old 03-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Registered-III

In the summer of 1966 Dad took us on a vacation trip to Wisconsin and Michigan. During the trip we crossed Lake Michigan on the car ferry "City of Midland". Dad had been an engineer on Liberty Ships and other freighters during the war. He had worked his way up to 1st assistant engineer, and held the rank of Leutenant Commander in the Naval Reserve. He was certain that he was going to get us into the engine room on that boat. He didn't go to the Captain. He seemed to have a problem with Captains. We went to the lower decks. He found an engine room door and we hung around there for awhile until an engineer came out. Dad started a conversation with him. He told him who he was and what his qualifications were and that he wanted to show us the engine room. The guy said "NO WAY". So Dad, being Dad kind of got into an argument with him. Mom and my brother just stood and watched Dad and this guy arguing. I looked around and saw that nobody was paying any attention to me. I was 12 that year. I just walked through the open door! It turned out to be a landing for the iron grate stairs leading down into the engine room. I looked down into the room and saw this great big engine and saw the turning shaft. Being 12, I didn't know it at the time, but she had a Skinner Uniflow. I stood there for the longest time just watching that engine run, until someone (I don't remember who) grabbed me by the collar and yanked me back out of there. After Dad calmed down, it realy was a nice trip. Mom and Dad took a lot of pictures of us on that boat, but I was the only one who got to see her engine!

Alan

Last edited by Alan New; 03-21-2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Registered

Hello Grape et all,

Companies, much like everyone else these days, use blanket policies to restrict people. It saves from having to explain various rules and then having arguments about them or trying to justify them.

The reality is that engineers are very busy people and to do a proper engine room room tour takes at least 2 hrs on a typical cruise ship. I was a second engineer for a couple of cruise lines and I love to give tours out, and often did. The problem is that with watchkeeping hours and extra responsibilities, it was not always easy to donate 2 hrs of rest to give a tour to someone who may or may not be interested, so generally it does not happen. And since no one else on the boat has the authority and knowledge of the engine room to give a tour out, the companies just choose to not give tours out.

The trick is to befriend an engineer, which can be quite challenging since there aren't that many on board, and are not found up top, amongst passengers that often. The chief engineer might be good for this, but generally he will say no (company policy) and default is the safest bet. Whenever my wife sailed with me, I often ended up giving many tours as she befriended guess upstairs, then introduced them as wanting a tour.

I understand that a few years ago, when I left, Royal Caribbean was starting to offer tours to special guest for a fee. The tours were, I understand, quite popular and the money went to charity. With the many "shoot from the hip" security policy that soon went into effect in late 2001, many things that added charm and value to a cruise such as behind the scene tours were, sadly, discontinued.

Anyways, if your interested I have a few videos and quite a few pictures on my website regarding cruise ship engine room and I am sure you will find them of interest. Check out Martin's Marine Engineering Page - www.dieselduck.net.

On the video page, you will find many videos including two cruise ship engine room tours (at the top of the page), although brief I think offer a glimpse at the scope of the operation from the engine room side of a large cruise ship.

Regards,

Martin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dieselduck:
Old 05-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Registered-II

I got an bridge and engine room tour a the ferry that goes between Helsinki and Stockholm. The ship sits in port from about 9:00AM to 6:00PM with no passengers on board. We had a business meeting onboard during the day and they were more than willing to give a group of engineers a tour.