Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors Discussion on old marine engines, naptha, gas, oil or steam and vintage outboard motors.

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors

Reo Trollabout

Looked on craigslist this morning and a guy had some gravelys for sale and talking to him i say...

this thread has 32 replies and has been viewed 6241 times

Old 03-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Registered-III

Default New toy and I mean new

Looked on craigslist this morning and a guy had some gravelys for sale and talking to him i say what else do you have because i have more gravelys then ill ever need and you cant wear em out.He says i have a brandnew reo trollabout still in the box manuals and template and a model a brigs generater works good 500 watts 110 dc......im coming
Attached Thumbnails
Reo  trollabout.jpg   model A.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,170 Posts
Default Re: new toy and i mean new

Nice finds! Especially, the Reo.

Check out my engine videos at http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Cletrac
Old 03-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Registered-III

thanks mike
Old 03-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Sky

How in the dickens do you guys find these things. I swear i could go 50 years and not find ZIP
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to :
Old 03-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Registered-III

Default Reo Trollabout

I have a new reo trollabout still in box and like to get imput on weather i should install it in a boat or just set the box of stuff and motor in the boat for display.looking for any history or storys about these trollabouts.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: reo trollabout

You could make a display Tim.
Attached Thumbnails
REOTrollabout.JPG  
Old 03-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Registered-III

i like that keith you could take the legs off and have a motoriesed surf board
Old 03-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Subscriber

Tim -

Those are actually fairly rare. You might want to visit these 2 sites & talk to the guys who have them. Both are very knowledgable & very helpful. I sold a very ratty Trollabout to one of them years ago.

www.members.aol.com/ervt/welcome.htm
http://www.geocities.com/reo_engine/

David
Old 03-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Registered-III

ok thank you
Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,602 Times in 2,334 Posts
Exclamation Re: Reo Trollabout

http://reoengine.us/ Contact this site, Irv Troyer has a lot of info on the REO engines. I have 2 trollabouts. The factory recalled them due to a faulty installation at a factory roll out. The boat sank! The company president felt that there would be no buyer confidence after the incedent, and ordered the recall. It seems that in spite of the recall, quite a few made it into boats anyways! Both of mine have seen service. You could rig up a display, but it would be pretty long. The engine is only about 11/2 HP, and it didn't run the boat very fast. Basicly it is a standard offset cast iron REO engine, with a friction drive, and no governor. Would you consider selling the outfit? If so I am interested!
Andrew
Old 03-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Reo Trollabout

Hi andy thanks for the info and im thinking of keeping it because im getting quit a collection of reo stuff and this unit will be the center piece .im a collector of old farm engines and i grew up near lansing and really enjoy the history of all those long ago engine companys from lansing....your a very helpfull person to all on smokstak...thanks again
Old 04-02-2009, 02:16 AM
Sponsor

Exclamation Re: Reo Trollabout

REO made quite a few versions of the vernable offset cast iron engine! I have quite a few myself. I also have 3 reel type mowers. One belonged to my grandfather, who bought it new in 1952. Another is one I picked up curbside, and was the first engine I 'repaired', and got running. It still runs! The third I picked up at the Hudson Valley Auction several years ago. I paid 2 bucks for it! The former owner said it was stuck. I bought it, because it was almost pristine - all correct and nice paint, all decals like new, tires barely worn, and the engine (a model 552) was clean as a whistle. When I got it home, I found the clutch was engaged, and a big stick was jambed in the reel. Pulled out the stick, dis-engaged the clutch, added gas, and off she went! Best $2.00 I ever spent! Most of the variations of this engine were either carb or ignition changes. There were a few bore and stroke changes (3 I believe). Most used a carter carb, the earlier ones had an adjustable main jet, the later was non adjustable. A couple years used a suction carb, (the model 404). It was similar in operation to the suction carb on the B&S 5 and 6S versions. These were dropped as recurrent problems kept showing up (broken choke lever mount in the carb body was the most common, as the casting was made of brittle zinc. Other problems: the engine was finicky as to mixture - it was hard to find a happy medium for the mixture setting, either it would idle good, and not run at high speed, or it ran great at high speed/load, and wouldn't idle worth a darn! Lastly, the carb mounting flange broke easily, if you bumped into somthing with the engine, again due to the poor quality zinc material the carb was made of. I used to have 5 or 6 of these, 4 had busted carbs, and one was blown up (the only REO I have ever seen that threw a rod, in over 50 years of working on engines!). Most engines had a wrap a rope starter, and the later ones used a steel cable recoil starter. The recoil starter works great, but I have not been able to find replacement cables! i also have 2 of the cast engines that were made for rotary mowers. These have vertical crankshafts. REOs I am looking for: The horizontal shaft engine that had a right angle drive cam cover/output shaft, that was used on a rotary mower (poor engineering caused excess wear, so not many survived), and the 2 wheel tractor engine, which had a 4:1 output power take off I believe. The fact that all of these engines ran 'backwards' was a neat feature to the type. The valve activation set up was unique too!
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey:
Old 04-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Registered-III

Default Its out of the box after 58 years (Reo Trollabout)

I desided to take the stuff out of the box and im going to mount it on a board for display.Not to bad for being stored in a unheated garage in michigan for 58 years.
Attached Thumbnails
reo 3.jpg  
Old 04-03-2009, 12:38 AM
Sponsor

Exclamation Re: Its out of the box after 58 years

Looks good! If the tank has a rubber grommet between the carb and the fuel tank, do not put gas in it! The new E-10 crap fuel will eat the neoprene gasket. If you want to run the REO, you have to find a replacement that the new gas won't eat! The source I had for replacement gaskets has been out of business for a long time. Avaition gas or maybe marine gas may work, if they don't have the alcohol in it.
Andrew.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Its out of the box after 58 years

hey tim, is that a out board engine ??
Old 04-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Registered-II

dang thats cool. i want one. now you need a small boat for it.

my dad had a small wood jon boat he built back in the 60s i think from popular mechanics. it was i think 6ft long used to carry it on top of a vw bug.

way cool little engine. thanks tom
Old 04-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
hey tim, is that a out board engine ??
No elwood its a inboard and i think ill call it a on board because im just going to mount it on a board.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
Looks good! If the tank has a rubber grommet between the carb and the fuel tank, do not put gas in it! The new E-10 crap fuel will eat the neoprene gasket. If you want to run the REO, you have to find a replacement that the new gas won't eat! The source I had for replacement gaskets has been out of business for a long time. Avaition gas or maybe marine gas may work, if they don't have the alcohol in it.
Andrew.
That might be andy ..Im not going to run it and so far i sprayed fogging oil in the cylinder and cranked it over and im thinking of putting a half cup air tool oil in the crank case and hold the engine upside down to get everything oil coated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Rostar:
Old 04-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Registered-III

It was fun installing a 59 year old reo trollabout new out of the box.but let me tell you it took alot of work removing 59 years of corrosion from a motor that was put in a plastic bag in unheated michigan storage.the outside of oilpan was pretty corroded from condensation so i pull it to clean it up and the inside of engine is in super shape .I took the head off and some other parts to do a nice touch up job and everything was just like new inside.
Attached Thumbnails
hot rod 5.jpg   front.jpg   hot rod 1.jpg  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tim Rostar:
Old 04-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Reo hot rod

Nice way to display it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Cwach:

Tags
reo, trollabout, trollmaster