Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Gasket sealant for carb?

Hey y'all!:wave: I a newbie and ...Long boring story short... I inherited my dads collection. I...

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 13557 times

Old 05-06-2009, 01:04 AM
Registered-II

Question Gasket sealant for carb?

Hey y'all!
I a newbie and ...Long boring story short... I inherited my dads collection. I found in the garage a maytag. Well, a BOATLOAD of maytag stuff. He had this one done up all nice and pretty on a display board so I decided it wouldnt be too tough to get it running again. I just happened to run across a maytag service manual ( LIFESAVER!!) And I found a book with serial number listings to date the maytag stuff.
Ok Short Story Longer....my intentions are to get this one running again and then dismantle it and get it all prettied up again. ANYHoooo.. A friend came over to help me snoop in the garage at Dads treasures. I was showing him the maytag and one thing led to another and pretty soon he was late for dinner at home with the wife calling every 10 mins but we got 'er fired up and running for a short bit of time!!
I took the carb off and squirted a bunch of carb cleaner through it and then when we put it back on we used blue rtv to seal it because I have already read on another thread about how it needs to be sealed up to run properly. So now that its sealed up it will fire up and run for a few mins till it dies. I am guessing its till the gas eats up the blue rtv and it doesnt seal anymore and then I have gas leaking from around the base of the carb and then it dies and wont run anymore. After he went home, I trucked it on down to Autozone and found myself some fuel resistant brownish rtv to reseal it with. Now that its sealed up I got it fired up and running for another short time ( i was impatient and didnt let the stuff set up long enough) So I took it apart yet AGAIN and cleaned it up and redid the rtv on the gaskets and then sadly turned off the lights and shut the garage door and am gonna let it set till tomorrow and see what happens.
WOW!!! Sorry about writing a novel here to ask a simple question about what is supposed to be used to seal the carb to the top of the fuel tank!!!!!
Im not sure of a model yet but its a single cyl with the long base and the plate on the carb that the spark plug grounding pull rod goes through says model 31. Thats actually the washing machine model isnt it? Dad had put a copper tag on the wood base he made for it that is labeled 1927.
Thanks!!
Rob
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2009, 01:29 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: gasket sealant for carb?

I have worked on all kinds of carburetors, biggest to the smallest, for 49 years. My 2cents is NEVER use any sealant on a carburetor PERIOD... There are too many small passages to plug and cause a malfunction.

Denny
Old 05-06-2009, 01:55 AM
Sky

Default Re: gasket sealant for carb?

Besides there's no over the counter selant going to stand up to gas anyway. I've try'ed'em all.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:42 AM
Registered-II

Cool Re: Gasket sealant for carb?

Make sure all the gasket surfaces are flat. Get yourself a piece of glass and some fine sandpaper. Put the paper on the glass and sand the part. The flaws will appear pretty quick, then sand until smooth and flat...Bob
Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Gasket sealant for carb?

You also need to make sure that the check valve in the suction tube is working. Also is the tank clean? Most of the time they are a real mess if they have been setting with gas in the tank. Check and clean the points and gap them properly. The gas tank filler plug needs a vent hole in it. If you need more help just ask and this web. Arlie
The Following User Says Thank You to Arlie Levy:
Old 05-06-2009, 09:12 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts

I second an above comment. The best gasket sealer for a carb is NONE.

Kent
Old 05-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Registered-III

Dumb question, are you using a gasket? All of my singles have a gasket between the carb/case, and carb/fuel tank. I have always used a product called "fuelube" on all of my carb gaskets, and threaded carb parts "needle valves" to seal the threads and keep the gaskets from drying out. Its common in the aviation world. Comes in a can and is about as hard as soft wax, never dries and keeps things nice and soft/lubricated/sealed. Designed for fuel systems. Have to rub it into the gaskets with your fingers. Give it a shot!
The Following User Says Thank You to makoman1860:
Old 05-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Registered-II

yep there is a gasket on there on the bottom and on the back. where can I find the fuellube??
Old 05-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Registered-III

Rob, You did mix oil with the gas I hope
Old 05-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Subscriber

Just type in Fuelube at www.google.com and you will find several suppilers
Old 05-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cissell View Post
Rob, You did mix oil with the gas I hope
yep i mixed oil in the gas, 16:1 30 wt non detergent oil. I have had a little bit of experience with these things about 15 yrs ago when dad first got into the old iron. I just cant remember what he did with the carb.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Registered-II

So as far as gaskets go, how thick of a gasket is supposed to be there? The one he had put on it is thin like a paper gasket. I'm wondering if maybe its supposed to have a cork gasket???
Old 05-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlie Levy View Post
You also need to make sure that the check valve in the suction tube is working. Also is the tank clean? Most of the time they are a real mess if they have been setting with gas in the tank. Check and clean the points and gap them properly. The gas tank filler plug needs a vent hole in it. If you need more help just ask and this web. Arlie
Check valve is working. This one didnt have any gas in the tank, its been coated with Kreem inside and looks like it was drained of gas before he left it sitting in the garage with other stuff piled on top of it. I cleaned the faces on the points. I havent checked the gap on the points yet. Havent found the feeler guages yet. How small of a hole goes in the tank plug? So maybe that it then? its pressurizing the tank and thats why its leaking around the base of the carb?
Old 05-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Registered-II

Photo Re: Gasket sealant for carb?

Ok I got a couple pics of this thing..
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0513.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	53817

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0514.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	53818
Old 05-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Subscriber

Rob, the air breather hole to the gas tank is in the carb. no hole is needed in the gas cap. But make sure the stub of a tube seen in the carb. bottom is open. How long does it run prior to stopping?
Bill O.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:20 AM
Registered-II

I wondered about that on the gas tank plug. I already drilled a hole through it and it didnt act like it changed much.

On the how long does it run before shutting off.... I'm going to test my theory on this tomorrow, but I didnt think it would use as much fuel as it seems to. I have only been mixing about 2 inches of fuel in a about a pint sized bottle at a time. I THINK maybe the problem lies between the ears of the operator. It runs about two or 3 minutes at a time and then dies and I cant get it started.
I realized what I've been doing is cleaning the plug each time and also putting my fuel mixture in there each time its down. Altogether I'd say I'm probably putting in a cup and a half of fuel in there. My theory is that I'm only getting enough fuel in there each time to just barely go above the bottom of the pickup tube. So It only runs a couple minutes and then RUNS OUT OF GAS!!!!! No wonder its so hard to start then! I'm not COMPLETELY sure this is whats happening each time because I wouldnt think it would run out of fuel that quick. And that I've added fuel several times. But!!! Could it be that simple of a fix?? me just being not smart enough to realize the thing is running out of gas??? Tomorrow I'm going to fill it all the way up and see if I can get longer run time out of it.

And on a side note, the gas resistant sealer I used seems to be holding!!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Subscriber

They were originally paper gaskets. I use 1/32 paper to make my own gaskets. Sometimes if I have trouble mounting the carb down I make the bottom gasket out of 1/64" paper.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hyle View Post
Ok I got a couple pics of this thing..
Attachment 53817

Attachment 53818

Nice engine there! What is the serial number? It is located on the top outside face of the flywheel.

Many characteristics on this engine tell me its a pretty early 92. It would not have come with the air cleaner or the caution tag and would have just had a kill switch rod support off a carb screw. The carb screws would have been of steel from the factory. Good Luck!
Old 05-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Registered-II

"Nice engine there! What is the serial number? It is located on the top outside face of the flywheel. "

Thank you!! the S/N on the flywheel is 241796 and there is one out towards the end of the base that reads S231 Any idea what that tells us?
Old 05-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
They were originally paper gaskets. I use 1/32 paper to make my own gaskets. Sometimes if I have trouble mounting the carb down I make the bottom gasket out of 1/64" paper.
OK this one has paper gaskets. heavy paper almost like sandpaper without the sand. Sounds like dad put the right gaskets in there