Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

1/4 scale IHC Famous 4hp question

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 1352 times

Old 05-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Email Not Working

Photo 1/4 scale IHC Famous 4hp question

Hello got my 1/4 scale famous running the other day had new batteries and even though it had check ball not working i was able to keep it running by adding more fuel to the carb,Tried to start it today no luck are the igniters on these prone to foul out?May have ran it rich or too much oil.i cant think what else it could be checked the connections all good.Sure would like to hear it run again.It has three 9 volt batteries anyone have one of these?
thanks
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 339.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 1/4 scale IHC famous 4hp question

Ed,

What are you using for fuel? If you are using pump gasoline there is a good possibility that the ignitor will foul.

I suggest that if you are not using Coleman (camping/lantern) fuel that you give that a try. Also, for oiling, I suggest that you don't use the drip oiler to oil the cylinder, just add a little (20 to 1 ratio) of WD-40 to the Coleman fuel and you should not have ignitor fouling problems.

Good Luck!!!

Don
Old 05-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Registered-III

Models are so touchy. Run to rich they foul. To much oil on the cylinder they foul. Colemans lantern fuel will work, just ad a little WD40 to it or a little mystery oil. I use regular Gas in mine, I Dont use the oiler, I mix alittle Graphite with Lite Way Oil and put a couple of drops on the piston while they are running every 15 to 25 minutes. I also use a 12 volt Lawn tractor battery hooked to my coil. On my Headless Witte model, I do use Colmans because the damn little plugs foul so easy. Hope you can make something out of this
Old 05-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Registered-III

My woodpecker model was a stinker at first also,with being touchy about fuel & spark plug, SO I started mixing coleman fuel with 90 to 1, low ash 2 cycle
mix, plus I us a battery pack off a rechargable drill 12 volt
,& with both being used , stop having problems, The WD-40 sounds like a great idea(adding fish oil to fuel ) thats is what main stuff is in wd-40 I believe but could be wrong.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZISyR_jh3o

Edwin, That sure is a great model you have their
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BDMelon:
Old 05-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Registered-III

Ed:

Nice looking model! Who's castings did you use?

BDMelon: Thank you for the video of your engine, I love the sound that engine makes!

Brad
Old 05-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,037 Posts

That is too cool. Where do you get these?
Old 05-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Email Not Working

Hello i got the IHC model Famous running again but yesterday i was shutting it off and i changed the choke from closed mostly to open as is stop and for some reason it lost compression,i have been running it but pouring some colemans fuel into it to run it work well,this has really stumped me,also could not get the head off.had all connections loose.its almost as if locktite was used.I think aside from the rubber o ring needing replaced i think a small piece if crud from the inside may have logged itself in the vlave so it isnt seating properly,has anyone ever had this happen to them?
thanks
Ed
Old 05-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Email Not Working

Hi almost forgot to ask,whats the O ring size i need to buy does anyone know the bore of these 1/4 scale engines,i thought it was 1 1/8" bore or 1.125" is this correct,it was built buy the people who offered it for sale as a casting kit so it should be to original drawing size.
thanks
Ed
Old 05-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Subscriber

Ed,

This is taken from an undated Specifications sheet that I have from M & E Products:

Bore 1 1/8"

Storke 2"

Flywheel Diameter 8 3/4"

Weight on pedestal approximately 25 lbs.

Best regards,

Don
Old 05-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Registered-II

There is a lot of different opinions on what fuel to use, I have tried most of them, my little hit or miss runs best on straight pump gas 87 octane, it does not like the Coleman fuel or the equivalant sold at Walmart, probably related to compression ratio. When I first started running it I used 9 parts ether from a spray can to 1 part PB Blaster from a spray can, I was trying anything at that time to make it run and arrived at that mixture by expirimentation. I put it in a marked 10 cc syringe and that is what the tank held. it ran great on it, just not as convenient as gasoline. Thanks Tad Wicks
Old 05-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Email Not Working

Thanks for the info guys it helps, this website is great.I will buy a couple of o rings today.what do you clean the igniter with on these little things,also will the engine need to be timed again when igniter is removed then put back on?Im sure learning how touchy these engines are.I have a video of it running if i email it to someone maybe they can put it here.
thanks
Ed
Old 05-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Subscriber

Ed,

I suggest you use a fairly soft brush toothbrush and starting fluid to clean the ignitor. That should work.

The engine will not need to be timed again after removing and replacing the ignitor. Use care when removing/replacing the ignitor so that you do not damage the ignitor gasket. In the past I have damaged the ignitor gasket on mine and that means making a new ignnitor gasket.

Don