Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

Air compressor for small sand blasting jobs

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 18508 times

Old 05-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Registered-III

Liked 278 Times in 140 Posts
Default Air compressor for small sand blasting jobs

I don't want to spend a lot of $ on a compressor. I don't want to buy junk either. Sears is out I don't like there customer service. I was told I need at least 5 hp and a two stage and 80 gal tank. CanI get away with 3.5 hp and 60 gal tank ? Was thinking harbor freight or tractor supply. The Ingersol Rand realy pricy at Tractor supply.

Ronny
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Subscriber

Liked 265 Times in 163 Posts
Default Re: Air compressor for small sand blasting jobs

You can use a smaller compressor but you will have to keep stopping to let the tank refill. I have an industreal 5 hp two stage set for 170 psi (a lot but it works much better)on an average size cabinet. Even with it I cant run continously. I find it better to look around for a used one even if it is older.I was at small poorly attended farm auction recently and saw a nice older one sell for $10 as nobody there wanted to move the big thing. Also be careful of the newer ones as the cheap ones have thin non code tanks and are often overated. CFM and PSI are the real measure of a compressor.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Subscriber

Liked 2,637 Times in 1,364 Posts

Harbor Freight motors are bad about being over rated too. I had a 220 Volt H.F. motor on an air compressor that claimed it was 5 hp, but it only drew 14 amps. Mathematically, that only works out to a low 4 hp (at best...). It would trip the internal thermal breaker after running for 30 minutes or so. Then I had to wait another 30 - 45 minutes for it to cool down enough to re-start.
You get what you pay for. If you will only use it occasionally the H.F. will probably suit your needs OK.
There are days there I stand in front of my blasting cabinet for 4 or 5 hours at a time and a compressor that won't quit is required.

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 05-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Registered-III

Your right on the statement you get what you pay for. I deliver with a big rig in michigan. Right nest door thay manufacture sand blasting cabinets. They said at least 14 cfm and 5 hp and 80 gal tank. By the way how do they get away with under rating the motor. Illegal!

Ronny
Old 05-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Registered-III

Liked 815 Times in 513 Posts

I saw some large compressors once at an auction that could of been coupled to a tractor PTO-always thought I should of got them for sandblasting. Even a tiny 'home shop' sandblaster can drain a decent sized compressor in no time, any kind of commercial sandblasting outfit honestly takes an industrial size compressor to keep up. Make sure the nozzle on the sandblaster isn't oversized-they wear out pretty quickly, and then the CFM goes up many times over, and the increased velocity of sand through the sandblaster's hose and valves starts eating them up in no time-keep a spare nozzle or two ready at all times, and compare them to see when it's time to toss them out.

Robert
Old 05-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Subscriber

Liked 99 Times in 53 Posts

Good points. A screw type air compressor would be a good alternative for a lot of air without a large tank; drive it with an engine and save the hassle with large electric motors, 1ph vs 3 ph. etc. Like most industrial equipment one can probably be scrounged up for a good price.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Liked 6,732 Times in 1,069 Posts

Been there, done that...

http://www.old-engine.com/abrasive.shtml
Old 05-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Registered-III

What I gather here and on Harry's page a 3.5 hp and 60 gal tank won't do the trick. I just want to blast a few parts now and then . I don't have a cabinet . Was going to use a blaster on wheels. Realy don't want to sink a lot of $ on something I'm only going to use once and a while.

Ronny