Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Briggs Vanguard Problem

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 5047 times

Old 05-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Registered

Default Briggs Vanguard Problem

Hi all.

I've got a 16hp Vanguard on my Cub Cadet tractor and am having some problems.

Last week when mowing, I noticed that when going from forward to reverse (or rev. to forward) and putting a little extra load on the engine, it would lose power for a second or two. Today, I started it up and whenever I gave it more that half throttle, it would cough and start to die.

I took the top of the carb off and hit it with carb cleaner. I thought that the float plug might be leaking through and flooding it. My local shop had none it stock so I came home and put it back together. It runs better now and I was able to mow a bit. It almost stalls when I engage the PTO, but then gets up to speed. While mowing the engine surges a bit and backfires once every minute or so.

Do you thing I just need a good cleaning? I was thinking of removing the carb and soaking it, but I think I have to remove the intake manifold to do it and there's a bunch of stuff (shrouds and linkages) I have to remove in order to do that.

Also, where's the main jet on this thing? It's a Nikki carb and the only numbers I see are 6100 & 22-131 & 808070. There's and plastic limiter on the idle mixture screw that I can't get off and the solenoid. Other than that, I can't see where the jet would be.

Any help or thoughts would be great!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Briggs Vanguard Problem

Sounds like could be an ethanol gas problem to me. Might want to try gas from another source to see if that helps any.

Bill
Old 05-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Registered-III

clean carb new gas and probilly check your valves and your spark plug make sure those are good.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Subscriber

Baldrick

Have you checked the governor for proper operation ?? Hunting, dieing, temp lose of power seems like it may be a gov. problem.

Just a thought,

Jim
Old 05-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Registered

Thanks folks.

I guess I'll pull the carb tomorrow.

I've got the Briggs interactive manual and looking at the diagram and instructions for the Nikki carb, it doesn't really show where the main jet is. It shows the plug, washer and fixed main jet, but not where they go.

It looks it may go where the solenoid is if it wasn't so equipped. Would this be right? If so, does that mean I don't have a main jet?

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tremble View Post
Baldrick

Have you checked the governor for proper operation ?? Hunting, dieing, temp lose of power seems like it may be a gov. problem.

Just a thought,

Jim
I second Jim's post, my older craftsman used to do this and I found out that there was a lot of play in the governor linkage.
-Jordan
Old 05-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Sky

All of your carbs have a main jet. wether or not they have a solinoid, differs. You could have irratic linkage troubles but it's likely you need a carburator rebuild which consists of buying a rebuild kit at a dealer, cleaning the carb out with a recomended B-12 Chemtool or gumout and well, rebuilding the carb. It's a very firmiliar problem. 94 percent of my work is carburator rebuilds based on a 16 year period. It's a seasonal thing.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Registered

So if it is the governor, are you saying it's the external linkages or that I've got to open up the engine?

I think I'll first try the carb since it is running a bit better after the first cleaning. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that I can find the gaskets locally.

Plus, I've never dealt with governors and have no idea where to start.

I'll let you know what happens.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Subscriber

Rick

I agree, completely clean the carb and fuel system first.

If that does not cure the problem, look into the gov. linkage or internal problems.

Does that engine have a fly weight or air vane gov ??

Jim