Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

What's the best penetrating oil?

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 35309 times

Old 07-21-2002, 11:17 AM
J.B. Castagnos

Default Re: What's the best penetrating oil?

I've soaked many things with various fluids, sometimes for months. When you get it apart all you see is dry rust, no signs of penetrant. I say use the one that smells best to you and plenty of heat. Bee's wax, a toilet bowl seal, works well with heat, doesn't burn off as quickly as penetrant.J.B.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2002, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Liked 6,766 Times in 1,072 Posts

With PB Blaster and a few hand wrenches I managed to remove each and every nut and bolt from this beast in one morning. All the bolt threads were wet when they came out! I haven't pulled the studs from the pump body yet, but I don't expect any problem. The main flange was put together with rubber cement or similar goop and PB along with a propane torch got it loose. It's made a believer out of me and you can get it at Walmart. Now if there was a good pipe thread loosener I'd be all set.

Old 07-21-2002, 11:40 AM
Chuck Parcher (KS)

Default Re: What's the best penetrating oil? OR

8 oz. C-4 and a detonator cap. Should set up good vibration for the GIBBS. And work on light stuff. You can tell that today I'm bored. Need to do something else. CHUCK
Old 07-21-2002, 12:51 PM
Franz

Harry is that 'beast' a Deming? Best pipe thread loosener is a Sawzall, 1 or 2 cuts down the inside of the nipple ought to let you collapse it with a small hammer and cold chisel, and will take a lot less effort than a BIG pipe wrench.
Old 07-21-2002, 01:11 PM
Jerame A.

I have seen i guy useing viniger to remove a stuck piston. He said he used it on an engine that a friend and bought off him. Jerame
Old 07-21-2002, 02:15 PM
Patrick Marsh

I use apple cider vinegar to strip rust. Put your rusty parts in a bucket full of vinegar and wait a couple of days remove parts and wash in water with a scrub brush and the rust is gone. WORKS GREAT.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:49 AM
Chuck Balyeat

if completely degreased first ...I vote for electricity !
Old 07-22-2002, 08:33 PM
Mike S

My last project I threw all the small stuff, nuts, bolts etc into a jar of vineger. When it was time to reassemble, all the stuff needed was a quick brushing.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:04 PM
Allen

Harry, you can try this to loosen pipe fittings: Hit around the outside of the female fitting at right angles to the joint with a hammer (not hard enough to bruise the metal or smash anything, but not bitty taps either. Just go around it 4 or 5 times THEN add whatever penetrant and let it sit overnight. In the morning insert a hardwood dowel inside the nipple and THEN try the pipe wrench onnit.

Of course, for ones rusted off flush, you'll have to collapse what is left of the nipple (a nice sharp cold chisel works) and fish it out.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:28 PM
Don C. Wiley

Allen;

I hold a larger hammer 180 degrees from my hammering and work all around tapping sharply. Most of the time you won't even need a penatrant but it won't hurt. Be sure you hold the "bucking" hammer very tight to the fitting.

It works for me.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
Old 07-25-2002, 05:39 PM
Dale Russell

P B Blaster gets my vote. I have other stuff sitting on the bench but generally reach for P B Blaster. Used to buy it by the case when I was working for a living (10 Yrs.ago) before WALLY WORLD started selling it. They must of had a lot of calls for it to get them to stock it. Dale
Old 07-25-2002, 06:11 PM
SAM

KROIL WORKS GOOD WITH HEAT. KROIL OR PB BLASTER.