Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

MEP002 military diesel generator output selector

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2329 times

Old 06-10-2009, 02:39 AM
Registered-II

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default MEP002 military diesel generator output selector and other issues

I have a MEP002A diesel generator that has a problem with the Hz meter reading. Sometimes when you start the generator it works fine. Most other times it stays on "0" and can not be adjusted. It looks to have a new Hz meter and a new relay.

It runs fine but the power selector switch on the left side of the control panel won't move. I was trying to familiarize myself with it and turned the switch to 208-220 3 PZ. It won't turn back and I am afraid I will break it. Is there something that locks it in place? I have another one that turns fine in either position but this one won't. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, Ed
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 AM
In Memory Of

Liked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts

Not worked on a MEP-002, BUT on MEP-16, 17 and others the switch is spring loaded. You turn is against a spring and when you turn it far enough the spring will trip the switch with a solid kerchunk.

Are you sure the set is making power when the HZ meter is staying on zero?

Kent
Old 06-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Registered-II

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Kent,

I haven't checked to see if it indeed produces power when the meter is reading zero. When I first started it it worked fine. The about one out of four times it might work. Apparently the military had problems with it because of the new meter and relay. I was hoping that someone on here had a similar problem that they could tell me about.

These are two separate generators that have the problems with the switch and the Hz reading zero. The one with the switch problem, I turned the switch all the way to the left, it clicked and won't turn back. The one with the Hx meter is on the above post.

Ed
Old 06-12-2009, 01:50 AM
Registered-II

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: MEP002 military diesel generator unstable Hz

I Made a mistake on this generator. Instead of staying on zero, the Hz meter goes all the way over to 65 Hz and I can't get it to go back regardless of engine RPM. It does put out voltage according to the meter at all times.
It had been a while since I had fooled with it but tried it again this evening. The issue of the selector switch was on another generator. I guess I will have to pull the switch to se what is up with it.

Thanks, Ed
Old 06-12-2009, 09:39 AM
In Memory Of

Liked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts
Default Re: MEP002 military diesel generator output selector

BUY a KILL-A-WATT meter to check you output frequency.

Kent
Old 06-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have two MEP-003a's. They are the big brother to the 002a. The selector switch on one of mine was hard to turn when I first got it. These things are built pretty beefy, maybe there is just a build-up of dirt/rust around the switch movement. If you can get it to turn it should free up nicely. Once I got mine to turn it works like a charm now. You should have spring tension all the way to a little past the position you are going to and then it will "snap" into that position.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:56 AM
Registered-II

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Mine turned relatively easy but has a lot of tension on it. It snapped in place and won't turn back. I will have to check it out. Right now I am working on another 002A with injector pump problems. It has a broken part in it. I sure hope I can find the part.

Thanks, Ed