Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Removing Nickel Plating.

Does anyone know of a simple method similar to electrolysis or plating in which one could remove...

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 10356 times

Old 06-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Sponsor

Default Removing Nickel Plating.

Does anyone know of a simple method similar to electrolysis or plating in which one could remove nickel plating? Possibly by having some form of a liquid solution and using a battery.
Keith,
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Removing Nickel Plating.

electrolysis is the answer
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Radtke:
Old 06-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Registered-II

The easiest way to remove nickel plating is with a fairly strong sulfuric acid solution, say 50% with about 5% of glycerine added as a fining agent. If you want to use electrolysis, make the work the anode in a weaker sulfuric acid solution, about 10%. You will also need to add a chloride salt (called an anode corrodant) to destroy the passivation. A few percent of table salt will suffice. Pay attention to the work because you will get pitting by this method if you are not careful. Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Registered-II

I know you have your reasons for taking it off.But to have an item nickle plated...was to prevent wear and tear and rust.And
it can be wire wheeled cleaned to renickel plate it.What is it
that needs cleaning off?
Old 06-13-2009, 12:32 AM
Sky

It went on with electrolisis it'l come off with electrolisis. Dont know why your removing it though?
Old 06-13-2009, 05:09 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,036 Times in 467 Posts

I did this once with electrolysis. It worked about 90%, then that last little bits were hard or impossable too remove. the problem is that when they do the plating the electrode is nickel, so the deposit matterial is 100% nickel, but in the removal process both nickel and base brass are removed form the object, So the last little bit in the nooks and crannies will stay behind as the brass is slowly removed from the large exposed surface closer to the electode. At some point, I had to resort to an abrasive (sanding, filing) to get the last bit off.

all that acid was a mess to dispose of. never again for me.

I would have to ask Larry if he actually used his method with success? Ideally, you need something, chemical or electric that will eat the nickel ONLY. Get down into the knurling and deep pocket. I never found a solution to that, pun intended.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Registered-II

Yes, I have used these solutions, and others. Some substantially more aggressive. I gave a couple of relatively simple recipes that (generally) work with materials that are readily available. There are more exotic mixtures but are useless unless one can obtain the materials to formulate them. Stripping is no different than plating, it's easy to do an "average" job but a lot more art and science is needed for a "show quality" job. Stripping solutions, like plating solutions are often tailored for the specific job they are doing. One other point to keep in mind, unlike the "electrolysis" discussed frequently on this forum (which is simply electrolytic alkaline cleaning) stripping solutions are often sensitive to age and use. Their stripping characteristics change with time. Unless one knows what they are doing they can end up chasing their tail, and ruining the work. What I gave are "good" general purpose solutions. This is what the original question was for. If you want to juice these recipes up add a percent or so of hydrogen peroxide just before use. The stripping rate will increase severalfold, but the tendency to pit will also increase somewhat. Keep in mind that if you go this route the solution will not act totally predictably, it will age very quickly and probably have little shelf life. So much for a short course in electrochemistry. Hope it helps.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Registered-II

I do some plating here and there. Electroless Ni. can be stripped with hydrochloric acid, thats what I use to prepair the metal to be plated. If the piece was not cleaned well and the plating is spotty I strip it with the acid. I have been doing this for a long time and it is the standard in metal plating. As for disposal of the chems, dilution is the soultion to pollution.
YMMV Art.
COAL
GUNS
FREEDOM
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLinkloader: