Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

VH4D Need Help with Firing and Timing

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 10032 times

Old 06-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default VH4D Need Help with Firing and Timing

I have a VH4D with a Magneto I changed the points. Now I need help timing the Mag back to the engine. What is the firing order? What is the rotation for the mag? Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Registered-I

Liked 67 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: VH4D Need Help with Firing and Timing

Firing order.1,3,4,2 clockwise viewiing from the cap end of the mag.No.1 cylinder is the cylinder nearest the fan-flywheel of the engine in the left bank and No.3 is the other cylinder in that bank.No.2 is across the engine from No.1 and No.4 is across from No.3 Hope this helps. Mike
Old 06-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: VH4D Need Help with Firing and Timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdm2002 View Post
I have a VH4D with a Magneto I changed the points. Now I need help timing the Mag back to the engine. What is the firing order? What is the rotation for the mag? Any help would be great.
Once you have the mag timed to the engine. Place the engine at top dead center for number 1 cylinder (TDC). To do this remove spark plugs and rotate engine in the direction it normally runs. Place thumb over spark plug hole Number 1 while turning the engine. When there is pressure against the thumb and air is forced out the spark plug hole the engine is on compression stroke for #1 cylinder. Continue to rotate the engine until the zero degree timing mark is lined up with the timing mark on the flywheel.
Without the engine running the points should open just before or at TDC. Place a continuity light checker across the points and rotate the magneto back and forth until the light goes out. At the point that the light goes out while turning the engine in the proper direction the spark should fire for number 1 Cylinder. Rotate the magneto housing so the light goes out at TDC. This should be good enough to start the engine.
Start the engine as the engine speeds up the timing should advance. Check with timing light. If it does not change check the timing advance mechanism.