Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Put magnets back on flywheel?

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2043 times

Old 06-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Registered-II

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Put magnets back on flywheel?

I have a Kohler K301, well 2 actually. One on a working Gravely and one I am rebuilding that is newer. the bolt up is no problem, but the flywheels are a little different. One bolts to the crank, the other uses a nut.
The newer bolt on crank threw the magnets, all intact.
What i would like to know is the position of the magnets on the fly wheel-- North to south clockwise? // or does it matter as AC to the rectifier?
N S N S --->
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Registered-III

Liked 195 Times in 137 Posts
Default Re: put magnets back on flywheel?

the position of the magnets does not matter, as its AC. The only thing you have to ensure is that they do alternator N-S-N-S--- , and try to space them evenly as possible. Use a good grade epoxy, and clean up as much rust as possible. Don't use a fine grit sand paper either, as you want the bare metal to be somewhat rough for the magnets to adhere better.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 06-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Subscriber

Liked 882 Times in 351 Posts

Two questions.... does this engine have a flywheel magneto? Or does it have a battery & coil system? I have seen lots of equipment come thru my shop with this problem -loose magnets. I use Lord products Fuzor 100 to rebond the magnets to the flywheel. This is the stuff they use to bond plastic car parts to metal with. Any good body shop supply store that's worth a damn will carry it. It's pricey, but it works great.
Back to the ignition question....If this engine has a ignition coil under the flywheel, make sure all the magnets are spaced in thier correct place or you get no spark. It's not critical if the engine has battery coil. The magnet ring in this application is used only to induce an alternating current field for use with a regulator to maintain the battery for starting or other electrical load.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Registered-II

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do have a battery and coil ignition, so the magnets just maintain the battery at the regulator.
I appreciate the info on the adheisive, that was going to be my next question.