Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 4 KW won't stay running

Glad I found this place ! 4BGEFA26100P Ser # E900911192, Mounted in a 1989 Ford RV. After sitting...

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2885 times

Old 07-14-2009, 06:45 AM
Registered

Default Onan 4 KW won't stay running

Glad I found this place !
4BGEFA26100P Ser # E900911192, Mounted in a 1989 Ford RV.
After sitting with out running for around 8 years, I removed and cleaned the carb. it fired and runs great as long as I am not driving the RV, If i drive the RV with the gen running it quits within minutes. Seems to me it is starving for fuel, I have replaced the electric fuel pump and filter. To get it going again, I have to remove the fuel supply line, blow into the fuel line, I think it is more of a problem with the fuel line then the generator.
Any one had this problem or have a solution short of removeing the vehicle fuel tank?
Thanks,
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: 4 KW wont stay running

Just a thought -
Do you perchance have a stopped-up fuel tank vent? My thought is that the vehicle fuel pump may be able to "pull" fuel from the tank better than the generator can, and the two units together are pulling a vacuum on the tank. If the Onan fuel pump is "weaker" than the vehicle pump, it loses - and can't pull fuel from the tank. I have seen improper fuel tank caps (vented when supposed to be non-vented, or vice versa). Also "critters" can stop up fuel tank vents on occasion. You might try driving the unit with the fuel tank cap loose, to see what happens.
Dave Edmonds
Old 07-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Subscriber

There also could be a "common" fuel filter in or after the tank, that can pass enough fuel for one engine but not for both, and the stronger fuel pump wins.
Dave Edmonds
Old 07-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Registered-II

Just a thought. If your tank is not full and the generator quits on a grade (up or down) maybe the intake is out of the fuel. It is common practice to have the intake of the generator higher than the engine line intake so the generator cannot use all the gas and leave you stranded.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Registered

Great idea, I will give it a try, I hope it's that simple. I was aware of the need to keep the tank at least 1/4 full so I dont believe thats it. I was toying with the thought of an auxilary fuel tank but would much rather solve the problem.
Kevin
Old 07-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Onan 4 KW won't stay running

You might also look for rotted rubber fuel lines while you are under the coach. I have seen them cause all kinds of strange issues, for the motorhome engine and the generator.
Your motor home should be fuel injected, the generator should have it's own fuel line to the fuel tank. Not tee'd into the fuel lines for the coach eninge.

Mikey
Old 07-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Registered-III

If you do not have a seperate fuel tube in the vehicle you need to install one you cannot "T" into the main engine line and run the generator and drive the vehicle, the vehicle fuel pump will take all the fuel.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Registered-II

"Most" Rv generator pickups from that era are gonna be an almost clogged shut tube. That's why blowing back thru it will temporarily get you some fuel. The best thing to do is remove the tank and take it to a radiator shop and have it boiled out. My opinion. You could try to run a coat hanger down the tube, but whatever gunk you push out goes in the tank and there is usually no screen on the tube so..........
Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Registered-I

Hi, This is what I think the problem is. Most Rv's have two fuel pumps. One in the tank and one under the cab. Usually on the drivers side. I had the same problem awhile back. The pump in the tank went out. The one under the cab couldn't pull enough fuel to keep the engine & genset both running. The gensets pump would even help pull fuel out of the tank. I dropped the tank and replaced the pump. It was about $45 for the pump. This is if the fuel line has a T going to the genset and if your engine is fuel injected.
If it pulls from a different fuel line (same tank). I would still drop the tank and check the rubber lines for cracks or dry rot. While you have it down I always add a little piece of line to make the pickup go further into the tank. This way it will run even if your below 1/2 tank. Don't run it to the bottom. It will pull dirt from the bottom of the tank and could run you out of fuel in a place you might not want to be. This is why it only goes 1/2 way down from the dealer.
Also the fuel pump has a sock on the end of it to keep from pull stuff into the fuel pump. It could be clogged.
Hope this helps! Passnbyu