Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Hello from England

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1457 times

Old 07-23-2009, 09:03:16 AM
Registered

Default Hello from England

Hi Smokers. Its another Lister nut from England.

Just got a McCormick M 3HP and its very different to my Listers. Compression good and all main bits in place. Looks like it just needs setting in order then putting on wheels. Famous last words or what?

I'm trying to get a parts list in case I need any new bits I cant get or make over here. Because we speak a different language. Over here a Muffler is something a girl might wear round her neck in winter and gas is what one cooks ones dinner on.

Any advice as to where I might post questions would be welcome? I'll try to remember to say Tomato, not Tomato
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2009, 01:35:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts
Default Re: Hello from England

Reiver:

Welcome to Smokstak! Hands across the sea and all that!

There's also the gudgeon pin versus wrist pin and the "coal oil" or "kerosene" versus "parrafin thing.

Petrol, anyone?

I think you'll fit right in. We're all a bit odd here.

Take care - Elden
In the heart of the Redneck Riviera - the Florida panhandle in the U S of A.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand
Old 02-19-2010, 08:56:23 PM
Registered-I

Hey there Reiver, I'm an old American but a long time anglophile. Visited over there in April and May of '72 and enjoyed every minute. Saw 96 steamers at Battersea Park, London at Expo Steam. As for your M international they are about as common an engine over here as there is and a real good runner when well tuned up. The three horse is a nice size for a lot of appliances and a six is about a perfect match for a 30 inch buzz saw for wood cutting. I'll ck for you on parts and service availablities. I feel sure there is an IH group that should have Literature especially if you don't mind reprints. I have a one and a half M here in the garage with a five Hercules and six Bessemer and several Maytags. Best wishes.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:53:47 AM
Registered-III

Well, this is touchy. I just sent a welcome to Mr Mouse so I'll copy it for you:
"Hi Reiver, welcome aboard. I know England has a great tradition of steam and engine fair. I served in the U. S. Air Force for four year in the midlands at RAF Upper Heyford, north of Oxford and we lived at Middle Barton. The first steam and engine shows I ever went to were in England. There were several in that area and I have been hooked ever since".
Most of my 30 or so engines ar McCormick Deering/International. A 1 1/2 HP "M" was my lucky first engine. They may be common, but they are good engines, parts, manuals, decals and help are readily available, and they run and work very well.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:01:47 AM
Registered-II

I have a 1 1/2hp jd. How do I check to see if the charge is strong enough with out grabbing the igniter wire?
I know with a buzz coil you can see the spark jump, but I do not know how to test this kind of continuous spark.
Thanks,
John