Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

hello,my name is frank and I'm a gasaholic

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1798 times

Old 07-29-2009, 09:40:09 AM
Registered-II

Default hello,my name is frank and I'm a gasaholic

I was told that this forum is a good support group for me to join.I was recently diagnosed with Smallengineitus and I thought it would be good for me to associate with people that have similar afflictions.My symptoms are,the palms of my hands turned black,my clothes smell like oil and gas,and I have the tendency to stare off into space and make putt putt noises.I also can't stop my self from bringing home more" old junk "as my wife calls it.She can't understand why I need 3 snow blowers,and 6 lawn mowers.She said "why don't you just buy a good new one instead of having to fix those old ones.I told her that I like the old machines the older the better.It was then that I realised that there is no cure for this addiction and I don't want one.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to oldfatguy For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2009, 01:26:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,621 Times in 799 Posts
Default Re: hello,my name is frank and I'm a gasaholic

In case your psychologist hasn't told you, "Smallengineitis" also will cause you to buy a whole tub full of "junk" at an acution, just because you thought you'd spied a piston in there.
It also manifests itself in ways beyond human comprehension.
The problem with this disease is that the one who has it doesn't suffer from it....they enjoy every doggone minute!
It's those around him (or her) who suffer.........or think they do.
When your darling wife starts complaining about your affliction, gently remind her that an evening in the bar is far more costly than that Briggs you just hauled home.

(sigh) I know, it doesn't work at my house either!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoRo For This Post:
Old 07-29-2009, 04:21:48 PM
Registered-II

I do have to admit,my wife is rather understanding of my obsession with old machines she just questions why I like it.She was even happy to hear that I got the old briggs started on the 1961 toro snow blower that I bought for 25 bucks.I doubt she will ever realise the joy that the sound of that old engine coming back to life brings to me.But then that's why I'm here you guys know what it means.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:38:16 PM
Registered-I

The wife stories always make me smile, have a garage full of old engines and she is very understanding. Brought home a petrol mower of unknown vintage, something usefull at last she says. Got it going real nice and had a test 'burn' up and down, does a good job - she caught me the other day using an electric plastic hover, got it right in the neck once indoors, didn't want grass and muck on my nice engine.

oh, and I married an Irish girl, she wonders why I havn't gone down the pub on Saturday if I'm hanging around by 9 o/clock.

Ken
Old 08-02-2009, 05:29:27 PM
Registered-II

Wink Re: hello,my name is frank and I'm a gasaholic

I'm married to an Irish girl too,she hasn't hit me yet but that might be because I didn't marry a red head.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:16:23 AM
Registered-III

Be careful with your disease it cost me my marriage, I spent more time with my old iron than with her. But if she is also interested in this stuff it makes it a whole lot enjoyable cause you both have something in common. In my case, all of the money I earned in my life is tied up in this stuff...
Old 08-03-2009, 07:03:41 PM
Email Not Working

It only gets worse. I had a guy tell me that anyone with 29 engines and trys for about 20 shows a year is not wrapped tight. Since my chief financial advisor retired she is actualy starting to enjoy going to shows if we can take the motorhome.After almost 48 years im going to keep her. Ed the le roi man
Old 08-04-2009, 01:54:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,884 Times in 1,506 Posts

Hello Frank......