Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

Mep002a or 3a Voltage Regulator

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1147 times

Old 08-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Registered-II

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile Mep002a or 3a Voltage Regulator

After working my way through the new to me canabalized MEP engine, (no button in fuel pump, wrong shimstock, governor stop pin missing on gear cover, missing filter cans) I hooted and enjoyed the sound of the big bore Onan as she came to life. Much to my dismay the generator end was not working either. I was able to narrow it to the voltage regulator by following the directions in the 003a tech manual.
My question now is, should I try to repair the reg or find another one? Any advice from mep enthusiasts?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Registered-III

Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Default Re: Mep002a or 3a Voltage Regulator

Repair it. It's nothing but Radio Shack components and the manual lists all of them. Check the little voltage transformers that power and feed back to the regulator. Disconnect the regulator and flash the field. It should go to 300 volts and shut down on over-voltage. If not the problem is in the generator or exciter section.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Registered-II

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Mep002a or 3a Voltage Regulator

Thanks for your help!
With Hurricane Felicia bearing down on us,I am going today to see my electronics friend about checking the regulator. My electrical experience is limited to low voltage.