eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > eBayŠ Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBayŠ Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBayŠ Auction Discussion

Selling on Ebay

Just was thinking about the way Ebay works.When some seller lists a item for sale what is stopping...

this thread has 35 replies and has been viewed 1612 times

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 02:20 AM
Steve Gerot

Default Re: Selling on Ebay

Every time I have bid a good price on something It may have a couple bids on it and then the last day, or hr, or, minute it will suddenly have 10 bids on it by the same guy judging their high bid on mine figuring if I would pay this much surely its worth a couple dollars more. They just keep raising their bid a little at a time until they outbid me. Its a competative thing. I could not get anything bought even if I purposly bid way more then it was worth. So now since I cant always be there to watch at the auction end I use a sniper service and I win almost everything I bid on and every one has gladly excepted my money. because after all a bid is a bid no matter when it comes. The one I like is the free stuff advertized, then when you call the toll free number to get it they tell you $15.00 shipping and handling. I wonder when grocery stores are going to start adding handling charges
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2002, 05:07 AM
Oostvogels

We don't know what to do with e-bay, the heavy stuff will make things very much more expensive as we live in Europe. Our two WW2 collecting sons would love to buy an old badge or uniform on ebay sometimes but as they are only 14 and 16 we don't allow them. Thanks for this threat, it helps a lot in knowing how other people think of it and deal with it. I'm surely going to look at ebay again. Jeanne
Old 08-17-2002, 09:26 AM
John Rolli

I agree with Steve a bid is a bid no matter when its placed during an auction.I have been sniped many times and lost at the last minute,sure I get pissed but I draw the line on how much I wanted to spend in the first place,the other guy just wanted it more I guess.I also snipe auctions myself and win at times.You have to have a price set in stone in your mind when bidding on ebay,and you must look at the pics many times during an auction to help set and justify this price in your head.When the bid is placed,even at the last moment and your "outsniped" yourself,even if its only by .50 its your fault if your pissed at that person because if you really wanted that item YOU SHOULD HAVE BID HIGHER.Its all fair as far as I can see on ebay.As far as SELLERS being pissed (??) at snipers(???)Hey you love collecting the money off ebay though right? Maybe instead you should go back to listing in the local classified paper and have all those ###hole tire kickers call that say "give me directions I will be there at 5:00" only never to hear from losers like that again.The only dishonest thing I see about ebay is the shills and they and their friends should be kicked off.I remember one time I was selling an instrument cluster for an old Volvo,the guy in NH wins the auction,we exchange addresses,then he stops emailing when I send him a total($20.00).After a week with no responses I got the idea to see what else he was bidding on and warned those sellers,sure enough he burned those guys too.Long story short we all emailed ebay together and got him thrown off! John.
Old 08-17-2002, 11:28 AM
Oostvogels

Well guys, after reading all your comments, I made us subscribers to ebay (or how should I call that) right away. Browsed some time and looked for the boys to. Found exactly what we could give them for Sinterklaas, couldn't believe my eyes A Real (American 104th Inftry Division) Timberwolf uniform (our liberators and the boys heroes). So I clicked on the subject line and will you believe this???????????? This came up: Dear User: Unfortunately, access to this particular category or item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in your home country. Based on our discussions with concerned government agencies and eBay community members, we have taken these steps to reduce the chance of inappropriate items being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases this policy may prevent users from accessing items that do not violate the law. At this time, we are working on less restrictive alternatives. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay.

Thank You.

Hit the return button to return to the previous page........and we thought we lived in a free country...... We are so completely shocked...... Sorry, we had to share this....... You are all lucky to live in a free country, but we always thought we did to. Jeanne.
Old 08-18-2002, 12:07 AM
bill schaller

ebay got really hammered by a few european countries, certainly france, so i wouldn't even begin to guess what is off limits in Europe. probably anything to do with ww2 would be a start.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:11 AM
oostvogels

Well I checked some more and some old German stuff is all right, so it doesn't ad up, doesn't seem to be a real line in it. Our boys collect the LIBERATION and our liberators happened to be AMERICANS nothing wrong with that. That is why I was so upset yesterday. Annyone know a page as good as Harry's for them and their collection????????? They are very pro America because of their collection. (they are 14 and 16 now) Regards Jeanne
Old 08-18-2002, 09:20 AM
robert atwell

hey ed i agree the only one making money on both ends are the credit card companies. and its legal bob
Old 08-18-2002, 04:48 PM
allen lapage

Many years agao I was a shipping clerk for a mail order firm, and we never charged 1 cent over the actuial shipping cost. The boxes, lables, and all that stuff were covered under the regular overhead of doing busness. And I feel that it should still be done that way. You dont add .52 for heet and .21 for electric, .31 building insurance. Shipping supplys and labor are just a part of doing busness. Next time you go to the store and they want .05 per bag and $1.65 for the clerk to ring up your order. What will you think of that? Just my 2 cents
Old 08-18-2002, 05:10 PM
Harvey Teal

In the general course of business I never charge a Customer one penny more than materials or services cost me. But I'm not bashful when it comes to billing for professional fees. How many times has a garage charged you $5.50 for a sparkplug when you know you can buy it at Kmart for $1.25? That's an insult. You wouldn't mind paying $250 for the tuneup but when you see materials prices you know that you're being hosed. My invoices show actual cost for materials and services, leaving no doubt that the rest is for our Uncle and me. Overhead IS a necessary part of doing business. By using online auction services we are trading the overhead costs of a brick-and-mortar storefront for fees and mail-order handling costs. Believe me, the brick-and-mortar costs are much higher!!! That's why you cringe every time you buy a pipe fitting at a hardware store.
Old 08-18-2002, 05:13 PM
Steve Gerot

While I agree with you. You are paying for all that it is just included in the price. They could sell it cheaper and then add the handling charges at ths cash register which is what a lot of the mail order people do. The ones we have to watch are the ones who charge a premium then also add the handling charges and the ones who inflate the handling charges to a ridiculas amount. That is how some of them get you on ebay. They say shipping and handling will be determined at auction close. So after you are comitted they spring it on you. So far Ive been pretty lucky. after more then 100 purchaces I have only been overcharged once and that was not by very much. It goes both ways though, A while back I waited to long to order some parts to get an engine going for a show. I contacted Bill Lopoulos about the parts and withouit be asking he sent the parts with a bill before getting any money from me and I got them in plenty of time. It dont get any better then that. If I remember right he only charged me $5 for shipping and handling for several parts.
Old 08-18-2002, 05:27 PM
robert atwell

aldi groc chain chgs .05 per bag
Old 08-18-2002, 06:00 PM
David Greenwalt

Funny you mention sparkplugs, there was a guy at the Dover show yesterday selling common and easy to find plugs for 6 dollars that I know for a fact you can get at your local parts store for 3 dollars. I couldn't believe there was anyone who would pay that price, but he had dozens of boxes, so he must have known they would sell. David.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:07 PM
Patrick Marsh

Does your bank charge you for talking to a live teller? Belive it or not some banks charge for this service.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:43 PM
allen lapage

Perhaps they do, but at least you have the option to bring your own. LOL
Old 08-18-2002, 06:56 PM
Harvey Teal

My bank charges me for the privelege of walking thru the door, cashing a check, writing a check, and all of the things that people think that they need a bank for. The reality is that these are private businesses that operate for a profit. Using YOUR money. And none of them are wearing the kind of clothes that I wear.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:34 PM
robert atwell

i just grab a box in the isle before they do
Closed Thread