Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

Sawmill Diorama in progress

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 2858 times

Old 08-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Allen

Default Sawmill Diorama in progress

One of my other hobbies is garden scale trains, and scratchbuilding stuff for them. Occasionally, I get a chance to indulge my passion for old rusty junque at the same time.... Okay, so this isn't quite model 'engineering', as it's a static wood and plastic model. Don't you hate it when something doesn't quite 'fit' any category?

A while back, I built a model of a 40-70 Flour City.....

Of course, such a monster just HAS to be doing SOMETHING.... but my layout is set in the early '60's so it was unlikely it would still be plowing, soooo........

Starting to look like something, I think

I also built a buzz saw rig and 'Cletrac' a while back
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,408 Times in 2,683 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Sawmill Diorama in progress

Nice looking models.

You say they're only "static models"...... what's to stop a person from hiding small electric motors in them and make them operating models even if they're not "fully" functional.

As far not plowing with them anymore in the 1960's, while it wasn't commonplace any more, some people still did it just for the fun of it once in a while and would draw a crowd of spectators when doing so. An old boy 2 miles up the road from where I live now would still Thresh with a Steam Engine on his farm right alongside highway 26 North of Freeport IL in the late 1960's and early 1970's It wouldn't be that out of place on your garden railroad scene to have your Flour City out plowing with a dozen or so cars parked alongside the road and 20-30 people standing there watching and maybe taking pictures with their old Brownie Camera's. Would make for an interesting conversation piece on your railroad.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Allen

Default Re: Sawmill Diorama in progress

I've got a cracked 40 gallon aquarium here. I think I'm just going to set this diorama up in it and take it to shows. I've got an old Monogram AC Mack kit I can build to go with it.

I thought about animation, but decided against it. The blade is a real one, and I'd probably be the first idiot to stick my hand in it.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,197 Times in 379 Posts

Allen, please do not short change yourself. You are in model engineering big time. What you have shared with us proves it. Model Engineering is just not the running of engines; but the use of imagination, material resources, machine and hand tools of all descriptions and especially the ability to organize and create something that no one else has ever done or can do. Your diorama is a work of beauty and YES, you are in "Model Engineering" and you are a "Model Engineer" ! Larry

Last edited by Craig A; 08-12-2009 at 03:08 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Case Place:
Old 08-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Registered-III

That's a nice looking sawmill. Did you build it yourself? What manufacturer is it based on?
gbritnell
Old 08-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Allen

First, thanks for all the nice words. Sometimes a little encouragement is needed. Second, Case Place, don't give me a promotion I don't deserve. It's more classic scratchbuilt modelling than model engineering. I can get away with using stuff that's structurally weak, and simulating small parts with bits 'n glue that would take hours and hours of machine work. Both, however, are fast fading art forms in this instant gratification world.

Gbritnell, It was SUPPOSED to be a Frick size 1, but I had to make a few changes to simplify building. I built it mostly from pictures and online catalog cuts, plus help on the top saw from a Frick parts book reprint I got off Tony at Nation Builder Books.

Some build pix for those who might be interested
The unpainted husk:

The carriage in progress:

The Flour City under construction:

Engine details:
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to :
Old 08-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Subscriber

Allen, humility is the sign of a God fearing person with compassion for his fellow man. I tip my hat to you ! Some day we can discuss the "engineering" aspect over a cup of coffee.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Subscriber

Red face Re: Sawmill Diorama in progress

Sorry I wasn't able to add my name to the list of people "Thanking You" for posting this thread and the fine pictures, but for some reason I am missing my thanks buttons. All I have right now are the reply and quote options.

Ran into this same problem a few weeks ago too when I really wanted to thank a couple people and couldn't.

Anyone know what's going on there. Once in a while I find a real interesting thread and thank a few of the posters on them and all of the sudden my thank you option disapears for several days or more....

Again though, beautiful workmanship there on the diorama's.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Allen

Larry, it isn't humility, it's being honest with yourself. I've been around lots of master model engineers, and scratchbuilding modellers for over a decade. Those guys' work totally amazes me. For myself, as a watchmaker I'm a pretty fair blacksmith.

If you think you can't do this kind of stuff, you're probably selling yourself short. An old friend once told me it's just like eating an elephant, you simply take one bite at a time....

For an example, here's how the wheels on the Flour City were made... Broken down into basic steps.

I drew a pattern and made a VERY simple jig. Then I cut and layed out the spokes (I used a wood dowel for a centering pin)

Then I put glue on the edge of a spool and slid it down the pin.

Then I painted the inside parts because I knew it would be a pain to get a brush in there after (see the outside spokes laid out for mounting)

The second row of spokes are done the same as the first, just turn the spool a bit so they fall where the open spaces are on the front side. Trim any that came out long and slide the rim over the whole mess. Then use a needle applicator to put glue between the spoke ends and the rim. That's one of the big differences between a model and an engineering model... if the wheel doesn't run true, but still looks okay, then it IS okay.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to :
Old 08-13-2009, 12:39 AM
Subscriber

Allen,
Looks GREAT!! What a fine job you did. Can't wait to see it all done.

Otto, I think if you use the "Thanks" button so many times in a day, it goes away, for a little while. Same thing has happened to me.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,298 Times in 690 Posts

Otto, there's a limit on "thanks"...a couple years back, Harry removed the thanks option totally for a while, because people were over-using it, thanking EVERYbody for EVERY post, it was affecting the bandwidth of the whole site. Due to popular demand, it was brought back, w/a limit...Harry or Craig, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how it works...choose your thanks carefully....

Great work, Allen, don't sell yourself short-takes talent to build stuff like that.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Subscriber

Got my Thanks Button back today and will try adding a few again within reason.... It kind of bothered me when I would post something and one or several people would thank me for it and then I wasn't able to thank any of the other poster's on the thread. Made it look like I was stuck up, or stuck on myself, or thought I was too good to acknowledge others for their posts. Far From The Case ! Just wasn't able to thank them.

Sometimes I come upon a thread several days after the original posting and find several posts that I think deserve a BIG Thank You, but apparently if I do that for a few posts on two or three threads, then it blocks me.....

Anyhowzzzz... I'll try adding a couple well deserved thanks on this thread and hope I don't find any more to thank later today???
Old 08-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
I've got an old Monogram AC Mack kit I can build to go with it.

I thought about animation, but decided against it. The blade is a real one, and I'd probably be the first idiot to stick my hand in it.
The Old Monogram Mack's were beautiful looking model kits.... I built a couple them 30+ years ago and still have them on my shelf. Keep thinking I should scale one UP to something 2-3 feet long and motorize it.

As far as sticking your hand in a running miniature saw blade, if it was only turning 20-30 RPM (scaled down speed) and you dulled up the teeth a little bit I think you would be safe around it. It's not like you would be able to get the small drive belt tight enough with light weight wooden models to keep the blade turning anyway if you did stick your hand in it. Just a thought....
Old 08-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Registered-III

thats amazing, if i were at one of the shows i attend and saw this on display id take every picture i could of it. its definitely a conversation piece and attention getter, please dont ever stop making these models.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Subscriber

Awesome job on the jig for the wheels. That is called good ole Yankee ingenuity. Something that is greatly laking anymore. Allen, I understand about those out their that seems to be light years ahead of my and your level of model making. My father encouraged me when I started to work in the shop to watch, listen and absorb all I could from the other fellows. He also pointed out that given the same task, no two model makers would take the same approach to the job, but the end product would just about be the same; some a little better than others. The difference is experience and the pride that one puts into their work. It will always show up. Dad always said, "do the very best you can with what you have, nobody can ask for anymore than that". So to this day, I am still watching and listening and learning. I weed out what may not fit my style and resources and add the rest to my memory banks and make it mine.

Anyway a word in your last posting caught my attention, "watchmaker". Can you PM me and elaborate on that subject when you get a chance. I have been playing around with old pocket watches for a while. I do enjoy that form of diversion. Larry
Old 08-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Allen

In the sense I used them, the terms 'watchmaker' and 'blacksmith' have to do with size, fit, and finish. For instance, back in the '50's when O-scale and HO-scale were fighting for dominance in the model train hobby. The O guys called the HO-scale advocates 'watchmakers', and the HO guys returned in kind by calling those in O-scale 'blacksmiths'

My 'precision adjusting tool' of choice (except for model building) is usually a nicely balanced 3# hammer, soooooooo.....

Since I'm showing off...

This is my scratchbuilt 7 ton Climax that I built last winter, it's a track powered sparky, not live steam

And an oilfield engine jack, which was my second scratchbuilding attempt ever (the first was the shed the guys were piling firewood in earlier.) Coffee stirrers are my medium of choice when I can because they're free....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to :
Old 08-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Subscriber

I love your resourcefulness !!!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Allen

Default Armstrong log unloader

Glad I'm not one of these two poor fools.....Makes my back ache just looking at it!

The next parts will be rather boring (sawdust, lumber and slab piles) so I'll skip posting more pics on this till it's ready to go.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to :
Old 08-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,956 Times in 601 Posts

Allen,

Their poor backs...their poor bodies if that log decides to roll back instead of forward!

I agree with Larry (Laurence), and others, great looking models and I have enjoyed watching this thread unfold. Thanks for sharing and keep the pictures and back history's coming. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Lawrence
Old 08-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Subscriber

Love the pictures.... keep 'em coming when you can.

Might be nice to see a shot of the garden railroad you're building these for....