Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Making fire come out exhaust pipe

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 6131 times

Old 08-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Registered

Question Making fire come out exhaust pipe

i have been thinking about trying to make fire come out the exhaust pipe. my idea is to thread another spark plug in the exhaust pipe- then using a battery and coil and make a swipe system and time it to fire the plug just as the exhaust valve starts to open. any one follow me on this.is there enough hydrocarbons left over to make fire come out the exhaust pipe. i think you could enrich the mixture and do it. it would be a show stopper. just turn it on every now and then. i am a retired automotive teacher. i guess thats why this crazy stuff comes to mind
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: making fire come out exhaust pipe

I've done it with my big Z. I shut the choke plate till it turns black and then use a long reach lighter and boom we got fire. I also re open the choke plate first though or else i flood the engine.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,019 Times in 605 Posts

Back in the 60's the trick with cars was to thread a spark plug into the exhaust pipe, wire it up and go down the road and turn the key off momentairly and switch it back on and poom, Puff the magic draggon. It also expanded the oval mufflers into round ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Barrett For This Post:
Old 08-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Subscriber

Take it from me -- you don't really need a another spark plug wired into the exhaust system to get a good backfire! I drive s '53 Ford F100 PU with a flathead v8 --once its warmed up, all I do is take my foot off the gas and flick the key off and back on. It gives a real soul satisfying boom with a lot of flame. I have found this technique to be an effective deterrent for tailgaters. I use a straight thru glasspack muffler -- I would not reccomend this on a modern vehicle with a $1000 catatonic converter!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Handlebar99 For This Post:
Old 08-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,927 Times in 805 Posts
Default Re: Making fire come out exhaust pipe

I tried this on a maytag once. I never did get it to flame. Maytags spew a lot of fuel out the exhaust on the coast cycle. I used a buzz coil and a sparkplug in the exhaust. The only thing that happened was a change in the exhaust note. Somebody told me they make good flame throwers, but no one has told me what I am missing.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,369 Times in 721 Posts

I tried that once w/ my Dad's '62 Ford F250 w/292-came past my Mom in the driveway & decided it would be fun...turned the key off, & back on...it made a big bang all right, which didn't make Mom happy, & split the muffler wide open, which didn't make Dad happy....
The Following User Says Thank You to ronm For This Post:
Old 08-28-2009, 06:53 AM
Registered-III

This thread brings back old memories. In high school, a friend and I went to a 4 H meetng in his father's Model A. We thought it would be great if we could get the the Ford to make a loud noise as we drove away from the meeting. Yes, we turned off the ignition and choked the carburetor. Then, we turned on the ignition and, yes, we got a louder noise than we anticipated. The next day we had to install a new muffler.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,534 Times in 309 Posts

Riding with a friend in his dads Studebaker and going past a field of sheep standing at the fence. I reached over and shut off the ignition switch, even peta would have laughed when he turned the engine on. Next day i had to pay for a muffler the rear wheel ran over i am sure there was fire.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Registered

they did this in the movie- grease- i remember hearing about it when i was a kid, but never tried it. i couldn"t afford it any way. i may try it this winter when i get bored, hunting season is over, and my wife had rather i be in the shop. this usually happens in jan. and feb. thanks for all the replies on this. its good to know i"m not alone in this crazy hobby.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,213 Times in 1,847 Posts

"I would not reccomend this on a modern vehicle with a $1000 catatonic converter!"

Handlebar:

I think your spelling of the word is indicative of the mindset of a lot of the "Greenies".

I remember when I was a kid with a $25 Model A. There was a guy in our town who loved to come up behind me and "nerf" me while I was driving down the road.

I decided to cure him of the habit so I put a spark plug in the end of the exhaust pipe and added a Model T coil.

The next time I got nerfed it was at night. When I turned off the ignition, pulled the choke and hit the coil, I all but burned off the grille of his car. He never did THAT again.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 08-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Subscriber

I think all of my engines that don't have a muffler (just a straight pipe) shoot flames out the exhaust with out doing anything extra. My JD GP tractor does too.

I think to get flames like in the movie Grease you need to add propane or some thing else flammable into the exhaust then ignite it with a spark plug and Model T coil.

Mark:
Old 08-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,461 Times in 2,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by handlebar99 View Post
Take it from me -- you don't really need a another spark plug wired into the exhaust system to get a good backfire! I drive s '53 Ford F100 PU with a flathead v8 --once its warmed up, all I do is take my foot off the gas and flick the key off and back on. It gives a real soul satisfying boom with a lot of flame!
My 37 Ford I don't even need to shut off the ignition. Every time I slow down from highway speed to turn off on my road going home, I just let off the gas and pull the choke part way out. The flames underneith the cab light up the road in front of me better than the old headlights do. The old flatheads aren't the most fuel efficient things out there to begin with, so there's always a little extra fuel left over to burn in the exhaust.

My 69 Firebird, I rev up to 5 grand and then start pumping the throttle a little to pump extra gas into it (automatic choke, so I can't pull that) and start shooting flames about 5 feet out both sidepipes..... Of course with spark plugs in the pipes I would be able to do it without reving it up so high, but I like to make a little noise along with the fire show.

On old engines, you could just set your ignition timing a little late and maybe adjust it so the exhaust valve opens a little early if you want to blow flames every time it fires.... as slow as they run you have plenty of time for the valve to cool down so so hopefully you don't end up with a burnt valve from trying it. On my 6 HP Fairbanks I found that it Barks a lot louder if I run it lean than if I richen up the mixture.... Not sure if it's boarderline of misfiring and then lighting up on its way out or just that the leaner mixture is more explosive once it does light up, but it can be deafening in a building.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,461 Times in 2,711 Posts

I couldn't find the ad in the issue I looked through, but once in a while there will be one or two ad's in Street Rodder Magazine, Old School Customs, and a couple of the other mags for the whole kit including coil, plug(s), wire, ignition button, and plumbing for the Propane if you don't want to fabricate it yourself.

Of course even with propane a hit and miss won't shoot continuous flames like a wound up V-8 will, but you could set it up for intermitent flames with an accumulator and some kind of valve arangement ......BUT, Now that I thought about it a little more, it may be better suited to a throttle governed engine than on a hit & miss. With hit & miss engines holding the exhaust valve open while coasting, you don't want it sucking flames back into the cylinder ! Should be safe (relatively speaking) to do it with a throttler, just be careful what you're shooting flames at.....

If you really want to do it with a hit & miss I would try the late ignition and early exhaust, and maybe higher octane slower burning fuel so it's still burning on the way out.