Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Hello from Kentwood, LA USA

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1225 times

Old 08-28-2009, 11:08:34 PM
Registered-I

Post Hello from Kentwood, LA USA

Hi everyone. It's great to run into a group of people who appreciate old machines. I'm sure there is a certain aesthetic appeal, but its mostly a financial one for me. Repair is almost always less expensive then replace, in upfront dollars and hidden dollars [i.e. trash space, resources used, etc.]. And, I have to admit, it's more fun, even the the times when I want to take a large hammer to something [admit it, you've all had those moments. It's amazing how far a lawnmower can fly when spun around by the handle like a discus thrower!]. I was reading a comment/thread about problems getting younger people involved. My 15 yr old son rarely comes out to the barn [my workshop] for projects. Sometimes I'm sad for him and I, he's missing a good education and we're missing some bonding time. At other times being alone and tinkering on a project is pretty damn wonderful.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2009, 12:22:38 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Hello from Kentwood, LA USA

thats why i built my shop and forgot to tell my wife where it is
Old 08-29-2009, 12:31:11 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Hello from Kentwood, LA USA

Hello Robin, I'm in the process of relocating to Louisiana. Where is Kentwood in relation to the Baton Rouge area? Too bad your son is not interested. In the age of computers and videos, antiques from the past are not cool in thier viewpoint. I might suggest he get an engine to restore and show.

We are lucky, my 11 year old granddaughter spends as much time as possible working on antique tools and engines with my wife and I. She loves going to the auctions and shows. She also had her first flight last week and can't wait to start taking lessons. Once I can get the time and dollars to get current again, I'll have a co-pilot.

I am going to bring down my favorite engines and our shop. Are ther any show's in LA? I've met a couple of guys on the Stack that live in LA.

Good luck, Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Cierra Flight 41 08202009.jpg