Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

Yardman Snowbird

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 6908 times

Old 09-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Registered-II

Photo Yardman Snowbird

Just picked this up today. Has sat outside for years. And I mean years!! Smell inside the gas tank made me want to puke, too. Drying the tank out inside the garage now. Has awsome spark. Has a Tecumseh engine on it. Mod. H50-65116G, and Ser. # 7277 The model of the machine is 7010-0. I may get it running, clean it up and sell it later on. It appears to be 100% complete, also.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC06531.jpg   DSC06532.jpg   DSC06533.jpg   DSC06536.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,343 Times in 660 Posts
Default Re: Yardman Snowbird

Orrrrrrr.............you'll love using it so much that you'll sell your NEWER snowblower and keep this one.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Registered-II

Yeah, and after the nasty ND winter we had, we went out and bought a brand new Ariens 1332. We shall see.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Registered-II

One of the biggest items you'll find on the snowbird is with a flick of the lever the whole center chute rotates and you can throw snow sideways not in an arch. This keeps it down close to the ground and not high up in a arch where the high winds decide where it's going. This will probably be the best snowblower you will ever have the priviledge of running. When running like new, it will throw snow up to 30 ft away from you so be careful what your aiming at. Gary
PS- not many snowblowers have their own yahoo group but the SnowBird does!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 PM
Registered

I have this exact snow blower, just replaced both forward and reverse belts,the chute worked fine before last weeks three foot snow storm, the small cable came loose that turns the chute, does anyone know how to reinstale it, thanks
Old 02-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Registered-I

I sold one just like it a couple of years ago. But it was not nearly in as nice condition as yours.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,343 Times in 660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akretowicz View Post
Yeah, and after the nasty ND winter we had, we went out and bought a brand new Ariens 1332. We shall see.
How'd you like your new Ariens?

I bought a new Husqvaarna, 30" machine, in 2010. Not bad, really, but I think the old John Deere I sold was a better built machine.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,493 Posts
Exclamation Re: Yardman Snowbird

When they were new, Snowbirds were the cadillac of the industry. They were built to last! I am surprised at the 5 HP Techumseh though - most 5 HP units were 5 HP B&S aluminum block engines. The 6 HP units were strictly Techumseh powered.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Registered-I

I think you are confusing the Snowbirds built by George Industries with the Snowbirds built my Yardman.

I don't remember seeing any Yardman Snowbirds with B&S engines, only Tecumseh, but the original Snowbirds did use B&S on some models.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobplb View Post
I have this exact snow blower, just replaced both forward and reverse belts,the chute worked fine before last weeks three foot snow storm, the small cable came loose that turns the chute, does anyone know how to reinstale it, thanks
i have 4 snowbird snowblowers i was a dealer for them and sold them new. to fix the cable you have to take the front auger off and the barrel. then you can rethread the cable.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Registered

i had one of those years ago. the only drawback to that design is the front auger is driven at wheel speed and was terrible in heavy wet snow. was a better plow!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Registered

Hi, I learned to live with the shute the way it is, and now have a new problem, after todays heavy wet foot of and the blower working well, the front main impeller stopped spinning,the secondary smaller impeller still works as does the drive wheels both forward and reverse, the belts are also in good shape (replaced them last year,instructions on the inside of the belt cover) also with the motor off and me turning the front impeller by hand it turns the chain that powers the impeller, so I'm thinking that a set screw or shaft key is lost or loose. Any one have any hints?
Thanks bob
Old 02-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Subscriber

When I was a kid we had George SnowBirds. They were Briggs Powered and built like a tank. I think 1960-something was the last year they were built by George. They threw dry snow extremely well, but were next to worthless with wet snow. The 2nd Stage impeller would always clog up. We used to pick up "junk ones" at the town dump as parts doners for our running machines.

I remember when Pop bought a brand new Snapper two stroke single stage. I said why did you buy that little trial size thing.

I'd never had anything but the old George SnowBirds, and a 1958 Beaver Tractor with a 7hp Wisconsin & a plow.

That little Snapper beat the pants off the old George Snowbird
It would throw wet snow or dry with equal enthusiasm.

Don't get me wrong, I have very fond memories of my SnowBirds.

Now I have a 9 year old Craftsman 9hp 29"scoop. 6 forward speeds, 2 reverse. I bought it used from a customer 3 years ago with low hours and an overabundance of sitting.

I replaced the belts, and reversing disc ran some fresh gas with Seafoam mixed in and it runs great. Even throws wet snow without clogging.

Maybe they've increased the impeller speed on new ones, but I'm happy it doesn,t clog

found this neat website on snowbirds http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/snowbird/

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Quote:
also with the motor off and me turning the front impeller by hand it turns the chain that powers the impeller, so I'm thinking that a set screw or shaft key is lost or loose. Any one have any hints?
Thanks bob
If you have the one with the housing connecting the impeller shaft to the Auger shaft, I think there's a Shear pin or Roll Pin in there that's probably broken.

Last edited by BlkBeard; 02-03-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
the front main impeller stopped spinning,the secondary smaller impeller still works as does the drive wheels both forward and reverse, Any one have any hints?
Thanks bob
If you look at the first two pictures at the top of this thread, you will see a shear bolt at the end of the axle. ....This shear bolt is there to protect the chain if the front auger jams.

There is a line scribed on the end of the axle and the collar to line up the holes for the shear bolt. .....Often the center part of the broken shear bolt remains in the axle, so the holes need to be aligned to drive out the broken part of the bolt.

The shear bolts were a capscrew with a tapered end (to easily start through the various parts) and had two groves cut into the bolt (so it would shear at the axle/collar junction).

The original shear bolts were 5/16" diameter and used a locknut. ....Please resist the temptation to replace it with a common 5/16" capscrew (especially a hardened one), as you will lose the desired protection.

In a pinch, you can install a 1/4" capscrew (not hardened). ...This will offer some protection until a proper bolt is found/made. ....However, this smaller bolt should be replaced asap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Dorsi:
Old 02-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Registered-III

Being in the power equipment biz seemingly forever ago, I vaguely remember a story regarding the snowbirds and the company.

Correct me if I'm wrong here. The original company was set up under a provision to exempt them or minimize taxes based on their filings as a religious based organization. It went on for a while producing these over engineered products with minimal profitability and corporate taxes.

Eventually the government wised up and clamped down on them big time. Whereas they had to file for bankruptcy and sold off whatever assets they had for back taxes.

Can anyone elaborate on this or am I off base with the 40 year old story.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Registered

Not bad, really, but I think the old John Deere I sold was a better built machine.[/QUOTE]

I love my old John Deere. Put the conecting rod through the side of the old 6hp Tecumseh so I replaced it with a 10hp....more power arharharh!!!
Would never trade it for a new blower!
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticD:
Old 02-04-2014, 06:40 PM
Subscriber

[QUOTE=Bruce Dorsi;1009293]If you look at the first two pictures at the top of this thread, you will see a shear bolt at the end of the axle.

Thanks. I remembered the shear bolts, but it's been so long that I forget where they're located.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:35 PM
Registered

If you want it to handle wet snow better give the inside of the chute and second impeller a good coat of gloss paint. So the snow won't stick.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,493 Posts
Exclamation Re: Yardman Snowbird

You can also give them a coat of non-stick cooking spray, like PAM. Wet snow won't stick to it! Might have to re-coat after a while though. When done for season, wadh off with dish detergent. Don't leave in the sun with detergent on it though - it will dull the red paint! Spraying the assemblies with WD-40 works too, but it doesn't last long.
Andrew
Old 02-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Subscriber

The weak link in those old Snowbirds was the roll pin on the bronze axle gear that would break and you would have to tear the whole auger/shaft/axle out to repair it. Was a real pain. Picked up many at the curb 30 years ago during bulk pick ups and after doing the first just ripped the engines off the ones that followed and scrapped them. Being someone who used dads 1971 Ariens 7Hp Sno -Thro for years Im of the opinion that yes the older snowblowers were built better but the new Toros and Simplicitys throw much farther and work much better and than the old ones with the few exceptions like the Bobcat or Moto Mower Snow Shark. Hell even my 5Hp Toro CCR3000 throws better than a 40 year old 7Hp Ariens.