Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Craigs list

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1547 times

Old 09-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Subscriber

Liked 483 Times in 223 Posts
Default Craigs list

Have any of you guys tried selling on craigslist and got replys back saying I will send a check and have a contact come and pickup after the check clears I could understand if it was a big ticket item but a set of tires for 240 dollars so I told him to send me his mailing address because I trusted him and I would ship them to him for 10 dollars more and if he was satisfied he could mail me a check. Ha Ha Ha Do you really think he will send me his mailing address.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Sky

Default Re: Craigs list

Scam written all over it.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Subscriber

Liked 146 Times in 69 Posts

steve check your email..... the nigerians are at it again
Old 09-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Subscriber

Liked 483 Times in 223 Posts

Check out ebolamonkeyman.com
Old 09-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Registered-III

Liked 155 Times in 117 Posts

I've been selling stuffoff and on for years on Craigslist and just got my first spam as a direct result of it yesterday. It wasn't wanting to buy my item, it was some sob story about how I'm probably experiencing hard times in these economic conditions and to "click this link" in the email.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Registered-III

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

i put something on craigslist and keep getting those my brother lost his job with two kids and he used this "click here" emails. i also got those i give you extra money and when you meet my shipping company give them back the extra money emails too. all scams i came up with a fake email and now i just flood there inbox from my fake email. i now it is wrong put maybe it will help one day
Old 09-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Registered-III

Liked 1,343 Times in 660 Posts

I posted an item on Craigslist a couple of weeks back. So far, only three spam emails which I didn't even open, so I don't know what they wanted.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Subscriber

Liked 1,044 Times in 473 Posts

Its pretty hard to get in trouble with Craig list, if you follow the rules an suggestions. That is local sales, cash and carry. Simple. Its not ebay its not about shipping, or checks clearing. I dont put my phone# or mail in the ad. Anyone contacts me, threw the craig list front end. If it looks legit, and it usually does, then I reply with contact info.

I have had pretty good luck, but its way less exposure than some place like harrys and not even close too ebay. For what it is, its fine. I get the impression the guys with most of the complains are trying to make craig list into a cheep no commission ebay substitute. That it is not and it was never intended to be. No feedback and no safeguards.

Cut and pasted right off the Craiglist site:
Quote:
DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON
Quote:
- follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Subscriber

Liked 534 Times in 194 Posts

Just sold a couple of items (boat seats, boat parts) on Craigs yesterday and today...I never leave the item in the garage where anyone can see other things I have...I set them out in a gravel area between the house and garage...what they come to see is all they see...I never....never let anyone in the house...shame to be that way but big city ways are ways of caution. I take cash only, never ship and don't put a phone # or an e mail address in the listing...I just indicate to please respond with a phone or e mail contact and I will answer any inquiries in the order received. About the only hassle I've ever had is when folks say they will be right over....I tell them I'll give them an hour from the time they say they will be at my house and then the next person gets the phone call or e mail if they don't call and tell me they will be late.

There are a couple of web sites that allow a search of all of Craigs list nationwide. I am careful that the folks I'm dealing with are local...I've never had a "Nigerian scam" offer on Craigs but I've had several on E bay...