Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

How do you repair a crack in a cast iron piece?

I have an old hand wheel i like to repair its made of cast iron and has an old crack in it from...

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1503 times

Old 09-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Registered-III

Default How do you repair a crack in a cast iron piece?

I have an old hand wheel i like to repair its made of cast iron and has an old crack in it from years ago whats the best way to repair this witht least amount of visablity once painted
the spoke that is cracked is one out of 4 onthe wheel and the spoke is about 3/4 wide by 1/2 thick
there wont be much stress on the spoke just want to make it solid
thanks for any advice or suggestions

bob
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: help how do you repair a crack in a cast iron piece

Bob

Do a search above on the subject. I think you will find that very few will recommend repairing a flywheel. If it would happen to fly apart someone could be seriously hurt.

Get your serial and model no. and ask if anyone has one available. The other choice is the have one cast and machined using the old one as a model.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,724 Times in 747 Posts

Your not talking about a flywheel right? If it was me, I'd V out the crack and weld it with nickle welding rod, then grind it smooth.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Subscriber

what i prefer to do is vee it out braze it together , us a die grinder with carbide burr to get the shape back then use a needle scaler or ball peen hammer to reproduce the appearance of a casting.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Registered-III

Bob, I repaired a cracked spoke on a hand wheel off a large valve that i did not want to heat it sounds similar to the crack you have. Is what I did is grind two slots parallel with the spoke from the back side about half way threw the spoke. Make them equally spaced and centered on the crack. Then clean it up with lacquer thiner and using a rubber tipped air nozzle to force the lacquer thinner threw the crack to clean it all up. I then heated it with a torch just enough to burn out any oil. And cleaned with lacquer thinner again. I then cut a couple pieces of all thread about two inches long. Then glued them in the slots with JB weld again using air nozzle to force glue into the crack. You would have to use dimensions on all of this that fit your application. I then sanded and painted. That was ten years ago and still no sing of a crack. NOTE! This was not a spinning hand wheel such as on a clutch pulley and I would not suggest any type of repair on a spinning object such as a flywheel or hand wheel on a clutch pulley.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Registered-III

dont worry guys this is not a flywheel for a motor and will spin no faster then what your hand can make it go just want to take any flexing out of the cracked spoke the other three spokes are solid and want to keep it that way
thanks all i got my plan of attack now so now jsut finding time to get-R done
Old 09-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Registered-III

I've TIG welded cast iron, it works alot better if you dont use any rod! That way your simply fusing the iron back together. not adding another alloy into the mix. Heat the entire piece to a dull red, then start Tiggin! And keep it hot after your done welding. Let it cool SLOWLY.

Stick welding with, ni rod, nickel rod, or whatever ever they call it usually does'nt work at all if the iron is OLD. I think the reason is OLD iron has alot of inpurities in it, dirt, grease ect from years of exposure. And is next to impossable to get it 100% clean. I have yet to see a clean cast iron weld that was done with a stick welder on OLD Cast Iron.

Just my 2 & 15/32's cents worth.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Subscriber

Bob

Being there will be no stress on the spoke, V out the crack and weld it with a wire feed and grind the weld smooth. We do this all the time on non structural cast iron.

Keep in mind, it is a Hand Wheel, not a Flywheel.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Tremble:
Old 09-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,432 Times in 555 Posts

i would heat the whole piece weld it with wire feed then sloooow cool it ...i like to put cast in stove ash overnite this will hold the heat in the slower you cool it the better