Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel Engines

Ford Diesel What Model

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 5951 times

Old 09-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Registered-I

Default Ford Diesel What Model

Hello, Ford 4cyl diesel joined to a Holman Howden air compressor. Around the 60's or 70's. Engine # under injection pump is EIADDN8015 near lube oil fill FOMOC S357845. Big FL letters all this is on right side of engine lookin from flywheel. has a Simms pump P4685. Don't believe it is a Dorset or Dover model their number areas don't show on the engine anywhere. Need a manual and how to time engine to the injection pump that was removed. Thanks Joe
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Ford Diesel What Model

Hi,

If the injection pump is driven by a visible extrernal coupling or shaft you may have a Ford Dagenham.

Mark
Old 09-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Registered-I

Hello, Thanks. Yes there is a coupling. The coupling has a timing mark that matches a timing tab on the inject. pump front at the shaft area. Now, do you know how to time the engine to the pump??? I just had a call from Maine. There is a cover on the bellhousing that has timing inside on flywheel?? I don't know I'll look tomorrow. Thanks again. Any pictures of this engine to see if it matches mine? I'm taking pics. tomorrow for the Maine guy. Let me know if you want me to send any to you. Later, Joe
Old 09-23-2009, 01:38 AM

Thanked 1,974 Times in 691 Posts

Sounds like the 4D engine as used in the Ford D series trucks, there was a 6-cylinder version as well.

The engine was built to lay over in the truck to keep the floor level down.

The injection pump was a Simms Minimec by memory.

There should be a number such as 9710E for the engine type somewhere.

Peter
Old 09-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,370 Times in 721 Posts

Sounds like a Fordson Major tractor engine, by the description of the pump drive. Pics would be nice....
Old 09-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Registered-I

Hello, Thanks for replies & info. Note the block numbers on the previous posting.Following are the pictures I have. How do I time injection pump and motor together? Yes Fordson Major seems to be the same if it is a 4 cyl. diesel. they had 6 cyl. diesel and 3 cyl. perkins and gas engines. You have to see the right one. But do i have a Dagenham? Thanks
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  
Old 09-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Registered-II

What I see pictured is what I worked on in mid 60's in some 63-64 Super Major tractors and they were Dagenham I believe.Shouldn't be hard to find an inexpensive manual for them or inquire on the yesterdays tractors site for timing instructions.By the way those Simms pumps have their own oil supply which should be serviced at each crancase oil change or when fuel starts to drip out the high level overflow pipe on the pump case.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Registered-I

Thank you, I'll go to yesterday trac. I was wondering about the injection pump having lube oil. Where do you drain and fill it??? Any special oil?? Thanks Joe
Old 09-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Registered-I

On this engine where can I put a oil pressure cage it has none? Thanks Holman
Old 09-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Registered-II

My book on the automotive Dagenhams shows the oil supply passing full length of the block on the side opposite the filter.At a point in line with the filter it branches, passing through the block lubing the #2 main bearing and continuing on to the filter adapter housing.If there are no tapped holes in this lengthwise passage which feeds all the mains and rods that would allow a guage adapter, I would remove the adapter and tap the inlet passage in the filter adapter.Intresting that the filter which I thought was a full flow is actually a bypass type filter and does NOT see all the oil being fed to the lube galleries.The best place for a tap would be the main oil gallery which usually has a plugged port somewhere for monitoring operating pressure.

Joe, We just used the same oil as in the crancase.There is a large plug on top for filling, a fairly large plug on bottom for draining, and true to "english design" a small level hole/plug part way up the case but showing a lower level than the small tube you will find providing a case drain.If we didn't service the pump when the engine was serviced, after about the 3rd time, the fuel leakage by the plungers would raise the level in the pump untill the fuel would start to drip from the overflow tube telling that you hadn't followed recommended service procedure.
My book deals with the autmotive Dagenhams and shows the timing for CAV and Minimec pumps only but if this will help you let me know.By the way the automotive rating for the 4 cyl was 70 HP @ 2500 RPM.

PS, I think I can see in the your picture of the pump a small plunger in the end of the "throttle" shaft.If so, when it is depressed it provides a slightly excess fuel condition to aid in cold starting.We never used it in Tennessee-- never a problem starting in any weather.These engines gave us great service in industrial conditions and over maintained.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Registered-I

Hello, Great thanks for replies. Found the injection lube fill drain, filled it with 10-30. it didn't have any in it!!!! Took the 2 bolt rubber gasketed cover off and put some oil in there, it was dry. Poor unit was really neglected untill I got it. Still trying to figure out the timing. thinking about removing valve cover to see #1 valve position. I heard of marks on engine front to match up with flywheel if your on #1TDC. I don't see any front mark??? Later Thanks Joe
Old 09-24-2009, 02:36 PM

Thanked 1,974 Times in 691 Posts

I believe that these engines were only produced in the UK. Had they been assembled in the USA, it would have been an Ambac pump, not Simms.

Peter
Old 09-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Registered-II

I'll pass on the timing procedure for the automotive Minimec pump as described in my truck manual.The pumps are similar-I doubt that the injection point would be different between automotive and industrial but see what these provide.I do remember the super majors had simms pumps so if tractor info was available it should be more reliable than mine.
Here's mine: The flywheel housing has a window with a small cover plate, in line with the starter ring gear.Timing marks on the flywheel will reference with a notch in the side of the window.
Remove the valve cover and the lever you showed in one of your pics is a compression release to allow easy turning for purposes like ours and to aid starting in cold weather.roll the engine in the direction it runs and notice when #4 has both inlet and exhaust open equal amounts (overlap)--the ex will be just closing and the inlet just opening.The comp release must not be affecting the valves at this time to be accurate.The#1 is now at TC commencing power stroke and is on the correct stroke for indexing the pump.The flywheel marks should be visible in the window now.Back the engine up several degrees and turn in the direction of running to align the 21 degree mark with the notch.On the pump near the drive coupling is a stationary metal pointer that needs to be aligned with a mark on the pumps drive coupling half with the coupling assembled to the engine and the pump bolted down.There is a provision on the engines coupling half to provide for small changes in alignment if necessary to bring the marks in line but if this hasn't been disturbed since the pumps removal it should slip right together just as it was.Your timing marks will prove if you're right or not.Let me know if I can clarify.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Ford Diesel What Model (IS RUNNING!!!!!)

Hi, Thank everyone the 4d runs today!!!! Followed what dieselnut wrote and it runs!!!! Need to find oil pressue port and I'm done. It is RUNNING, I'm happy!!! This is bolted to Holman Howden compressor all English 62-65 yr. Got one any problems write me. Thanks everyone. Ain't this America Great Later Holman Joe
Old 10-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Registered-III

I have a Fordson Major from 1959. The engine looks just like yours.

If you look at the left side view of your engine, between the alternator and the exhaust pipe, on the side of the block there should be a plug. That is where I screwed a pressure gauge in. I think it is the galley that supplies the main bearings.

My dad bought the old Major new in 1959. It has a jillion hours on it and has never had the head off of it. I had an injector pump problem once. I found another old used pump and made one useing parts from both pumps.

Alan
Old 05-13-2010, 05:17 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by holman View Post
Hello, Ford 4cyl diesel joined to a Holman Howden air compressor. Around the 60's or 70's. Engine # under injection pump is EIADDN8015 near lube oil fill FOMOC S357845. Big FL letters all this is on right side of engine lookin from flywheel. has a Simms pump P4685. Don't believe it is a Dorset or Dover model their number areas don't show on the engine anywhere. Need a manual and how to time engine to the injection pump that was removed. Thanks Joe
hey Joe Ithink we may have the same engines.did you ever find out the make/model of yours, as i need to get some info on mine.I have two similiar engines. one has something like fordson stamped on it . the other has FL embosed on the casing.these are on a boat i bought recently.thanks, dermot
Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Registered-II

Bumping this thread so it's reference to the Simms pump lubrication is available to a recent post of a question.
There probably is a better way to reference it but it slips me.