Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Tragedy avoided in feed grinder accident

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 5328 times

Old 10-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Subscriber

Default Tragedy avoided in feed grinder accident

Yesterday, my wife was grinding ear corn through our old burr mill. When she bent over to take a 5 gallon bucket of ground feed away from the mill, her long braided hair fell from under her hat and caught a turning shaft which pulled her in. The braid of hair reeled her in to the back of her head. Luckily the hopper was full of ear corn and the belt was in poor condition and not real tight. The wrapped up hair on the mill shaft combined with the grinding load was enough to throw the belt off the old B John Deere.

She was being cautious, but it just happened. I was close by loading a manure spreader with a skid loader and noticed right away the belt was off so I investigated and found her all wrapped up tight the shaft. I was set to cut her hair off when it dawned on me to reverse the mill, which worked and I unwound the long tresses from the shaft. Today she only has quite sore muscles and scalp. Thankfully she still has most of her hair and she looks great but the thought of it all still really scares her.

Some of her hair is still wrapped tightly to the shaft. I will leave it there as a reminder of what can happen.

The moral of the story is that you can never be too cautious when working around equipment!

We like the job the old Letz mill does on the ear corn we feed to the dozen weaned calves, and it has been a great way to use our bigger gas engines and the old John Deere B. We thank God this accident wasn't any more serious.

Last edited by Tom S; 10-09-2009 at 11:07 PM.
The Following 85 Users Say Thank You to Tom S:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2009, 11:04 PM

Thanked 9,715 Times in 3,100 Posts
Default Re: Tradgedy avoided in feed grinder accident

Thanks for the story. Your wife's event is one of the many reasons that I wear my hair in braids....pinned up in a bun.

Best Wishes!
Beth
Old 10-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,885 Times in 667 Posts

I am glad she did alright.
I hear folks telling me about old Maytag washer roller caught
the hair. Another one said one Amish girl got caught in 12 inch disc grinder. Both pulled out completely in seconds.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,292 Times in 826 Posts

Even when we're cautious and try to be careful accidents can happen. Thankfully this story has a happy ending.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Subscriber

I am glad she is ok!! Very lucky

This is not only to farm machinery BUT for industrial machine tools!! One small slip or someone wearing gloves on a lathe and bye bye. Never ever wear loose cloths or any necklaces near them. I only know of one guy to make it out alive but was torn up by a monarch 15in lathe. He was working alone late at night at the machine shop, reached over the tailstock and his shirt got caught on a burr pulling him into the lathe. In the time between when it happened and when his brother found him no one knows but he swung he thinks for 1 hr. Tore up his arm and broke both legs, almost cut off right arm you can see where his arm is still not right. The force of this broke a south bend and another lathe beside the monarch. This lathe was only turning at 450rpm the same as many gas engines!

So rember next time you get that feeling that something isnt right its not
AND AND

NEVER EVER LEAVE THE T WRENCH IN THE CHUCK!!!! ALWAYS HAVE IT IN YOUR HAND WHILE WORKING !!!!
Old 10-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Sponsor

Unhappy Re: Tradgedy avoided in feed grinder accident

I remember when I was growing up I heard stories like this all the time. There were a lot of people maimed or killed by this type of thing happening. It is a wake-up call to what can happen. You are not nearly the first. you did about everything right. You used a small tractor, a loose belt and you were close by. I knew many older gentleman that had fingers, hands, arms missing when I grew up. Some talked about it some did not. about 10 years ago, a close friend of mine was digging post holes with his 10 year old son. He had a IH 1066 tractor and a 12in. auger on the digger. He had his son operate the tractor while he tended the digger. He was kicking dirt away fron the auger when it was being pulled from the ground and his cover alls got caught in the auger. the tractor was running at a good speed and the boy got excited and delayed stopping the PTO. There was not much left of my friend when I got there. The boy still has nightmares and I am running out of things to say to him. It has been so long since it happened, but it is right there every day for this boy. You see you were very lucky. this stuff happens a lot. My friend had an old worn out IH C that had a 3pt hitch. He usually used that tractor for small chores. I think he would still be here if he had used that small tractor with low hp to do the job. Something to think about. M&WJoe
Old 10-09-2009, 11:49 PM

Thanked 14,547 Times in 4,493 Posts
Default Re: Tragedy avoided in feed grinder accident

This is scary stuff!
I'm keeping this thread at the top for a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A:
Old 10-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Registered-III

we whine and complain about safety equipment sometimes, but I always keep in mind, when playing with some of this stuff, that all that safety junk is drawn in blood and cast of bones and guts. when i got my square baler, i came across a lot of storys...did you know a common way to die in a round baler, is to get out, kick at the jammed up hay while it is running, get sucked in and stuck, and then burn to death when the friction starts a hay fire?

be carefull out there!!
The Following User Says Thank You to pegasuspinto:
Old 10-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,827 Times in 2,468 Posts
Exclamation Re: Tragedy avoided in feed grinder accident

I nearly lost a leg, due to innattention! I was standing next to a Stover KA 2 HP, and stepped closer to observe what I thought was a loose governor flyweight. I was wearing shorts at the time, and the crank had a #53 chain drive gear on the shaft. The gear teeth grabbed the hem on my right pants led, and twisted it into an extremely tight turniquet in a matter of a second or two. As I had the engine running extremely slow, I was able to stop it by grabbing the flywheel. I managed to turn the engine backwards a couple of turns, to release the gear, but the pants leg was knotted and had gripped into the leg by at least 1/2 an inch, and circulation was cut off. The leg was turning a deep shade of blue, rapidly. I managed to get my trusty scout knife (never leave home without it), and proceded to cut the pants led apart. it took about 3 minutes to finally release the material. No permanant damage done (except to the pants), but another minute or two, and I would have had permanant tissue loss, and possible blood poisoning. As it was, the entire leg was black and blue for several weeks (I had quite a few comments at jacktown that year!

The motto is: Always respect moving machinery. Pay special attention to loose items, wether it be hair, limbs , or clothing! If you have long hair, NEVER bend over a rotating shaft, unless your hair is securely held, either in braiding and bands, or a hair net. A rotating shaft can scalp you or worse, in a split second! Secure or remove loose clothing. Keep hands and feet away from all moving parts. if you need to shift a belt, use a board wide enough not to be caught by a stray edge or the lacing.

Tom S., I hope your wife recovers quickly. Sha can thank heavens that you did not have that belt any tighter. I know it isn't pretty, but an investment in a hair net will save hair, and give peace of mind. Take care,
Andrew
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey:
Old 10-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Card Sponsor

In 1 of my Families old scrap books of newspaper clippings there is a sad story of a young boy who was a family member in something like 1908 (i forget which year)that was killed by a gas engine. He was standing too close to the Fw and the head of the gib key caught his pant leg and wrapped him up .and beat him to death before they could get the engine stopped.

I had a near miss myself with a loose shirt tail and a lathe leadscrew. Fortunately for me the lathe was turning slow an the shirt was old. I felt it grab and I hit the stop switch.I tore off the shirt tail and swore to never do something stupid like that again.

I worry that alot of younger people don't realize just how" DANGEROUS" our toys are.ALWAYs stress "know what you are doing before operating any machine"Know the pinch points.Have a good understanding when turning over an engine when it is going to fire in cause it kicks.Watch out for the belts etc.Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Charles:
Old 10-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Registered-III

Like I've said before SAFETY MUST BE DISCUSSED DAILY or we quickly forget about it.

I will live the rest of my life with a permanent reminder of safety as I lost most of my right foot in a grain auger when I was 10 years old. Just trying to help by kicking the tailgate of the truck shut and my foot slipped off and into the running auger in a split second. I feel terrible for my parents and brother who were right there and witnessed it, but thank God they were there to haul me to the clinic...

Be careful out there! There is ALWAYS enough time for SAFETY!
The Following User Says Thank You to smgussey:
Old 10-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Subscriber

Thank God it didn't snap her neck.I had a friend that ran mowing machines on a golf corse,she had long hair and leaned over to pick something off the ground without shutting mower off.She got her hair caught in a rotating belt and it broke her neck.When they found her a hour later she was dead.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edward M:
Old 10-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,008 Times in 271 Posts

When I was a teenager I was running an old Bradford lathe at my Dad's shop doing a single point thread. I had on a western snap button shirt with the tail of the shirt not tucked in my pants and it was un-snapped in the front. Shirt caught in the thread screw I tried my best to tear or rip that shirt but I could not do it and the machine was winding me in. I could not reach the power button. Luckly Dad was close by and seen what was going on and hit the stop button and by the time the old machine coasted to a stop my chest and head was really close to that thread screw, but I was not hurt. If I remember correctly I think we just took a knife and cut my shirt to get me loose. Another lesson learned the hard way.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Davis:
Old 10-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,264 Times in 683 Posts

When I was in high school a bunch of kids were working on a ranch building fence. Probably not giving a thought to safety, as kids will do. One of them stepped over the PTO shaft of the post hole digger for some reason. It caught his pants leg, & in a second he was naked, but for the waistband of his shorts. He was skinned up & bruised in places a man doesn't want to get skinned up, but still a man, if you know what I mean...
My machine shop teacher told of a foreman who wore a tie in the shop, one day he leaned over a big lathe to show the operator how to do something, & same deal, instantly he was stark naked & bleeding. There was a raw strip all the way down his chest the width of the chuck...
Both of these people were probably luckier than they deserved, could have been a lot worse....
So-like everybody has said, SAFETY FIRST-
The Following User Says Thank You to ronm:
Old 10-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,317 Times in 648 Posts

THINK FIRST, THEN DO!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to MoRo:
Old 10-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Registered-I

Saftey is always something to look at I have had very long hair in the past and always kept it tucked inside my shirt when working around any type of machinery. I am also glade that she was not hurt badly!!!!!!!!!!! Someone was looking out for her that day. Godbless!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny Short:
Old 10-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Registered-III

Tom, I'm glad everyone is ok. Scary moment indeed.

Kevin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Weis:
Old 10-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Registered-II

Glad there was not a more sever accident. Thank you for telling us of this accident and thanks to all of you telling your accounts of what happens due to a split second laspe of attention of what your doing. Be safe out there at all times
ron
Old 10-11-2009, 02:00 AM
Subscriber

Goodness,someone above was looking after your wife. Back in the seventies a friends brother had the same thing happen.He was a machinist and his long hair caught in the lathe he was working on.He wasn't so lucky as your wife and died from his injuries. John
Old 10-11-2009, 02:40 AM
Subscriber

Amber, the kids and I just wanted to say thanks to all who have read this thread. She is still really sore but is so extremely lucky. It was a big reminder how fast lives can change or end.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom S: