Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

Need help on a MEP 003 military generator

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2115 times

Old 10-21-2009, 01:20 AM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Need help on a MEP 003 military generator

Hello,
I have two problems on my MEP 003 generator. I accidently turned it on with the main breaker on and now it will not produce electricity. This is the second time it's done this, the first time took it apart an simply put it all back together and it worked.
The second problem is that it won't stay on when you let go of the starting switch. What we had to do was remove the kill solenoid.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Registered-III

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: Need help on a MEP 003 military generator

Sounds like you might have electrical control problems.

Problem could be AC regulator or automatic field flash related. You might want to open up the control cubicle and make sure all connections are clean and tight - including the miniature relay sockets and relay pins.

As for the "won't run after releasing switch from start position" problem, that could also be a bad connection - or more likely the low oil pressure switch not working (or really having low oil pressure). Does the oil pressure gage indicate normal oil pressure? If so, it should be easy to diagnose if the switch is faulty; disconnect the oil pressure sending switch, and connect the two pins on the switches' cable together to simulate the switch closing with nominal pressure. It should start and keep running. If it does, replace the low oil pressure switch. If it still won't keep running, you've likely got a problem with the interconnect wiring from the switch, or an issue in the control cubicle.

I wouldn't run the unit without fixing this and having the fuel shutoff solenoid installed; that solenoid is the only thing that will shut down the generator in a low oil pressure or overheat condition.

-Carl
Old 10-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Carl,
Today I started it up and it did not produce electricity then I move it to where I could work on it and removed the batteries, I then waited about 2 hours and started it and then it did produce. I run it for about 5 minutes then I shut it down started it back up without moving it and it stopped producing again.
I also checked for continuity on the low oil switch and it did have continuity so I hook back up the solenoid and it did the same thing. The oil pressure starts at 50psi and then when it worms up it stays at 32psi.
Thanks,
Raymond
Old 10-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Registered-III

Sounds like you should start just by cleaning every contact and connection in the control cubicle - don't forget the relays in the sockets, too.

Let us know how it goes.

-Carl
Old 10-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Carl,
Could you tell me which is the ac regulator or automatic field. I looked in the wiring panel and do not know what I'm looking at.
Thanks,
Raymond
Old 10-22-2009, 12:55 AM
Registered-III

Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts

There is also a speed switch which disconnects the starter. It won't flash without it. Test by holding the start switch on after it starts. The starter should drop out at 900 rpm, and re closing the start switch should not pull in the starter. The switch looks just like a standard Onan speed switch but it is BACKWARD. The Onan is normally open and closes at 900 rpm, the military is normally open and closes at 900 rpm. It uses the same contact set, but a totally different mechanism.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 10-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leon View Post
Carl,
Could you tell me which is the ac regulator
I'll see if I can get a picture for you, Raymond.

-Carl
Old 10-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I've now figured out that the generator did produce power all the time. The problem was me, my brother was the one that was mainly working the generator so I was not aware that you need to hold the start switch for about 3 seconds after the motor starts.

It now works fine as far as it producing power.

I still have the problem concerning the staying on. I put the solenoid back on the engine and crank the start switch and the solenoid does kick in but as soon as I let go of the switch it kicks out and shuts the engine down. I've already checked the low oil pressure switch and it's working fine. I've also checked the speed lock switch and it's working good to.

Thanks, Raymond
Old 10-25-2009, 02:02 AM
Registered-III

Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts

There must be a shutdown in fault condition or the fuel solenoid holding relay is bad. Just go through the safety line and jump them out one at a time starting with the holding relay. I don't remember the safety string as I sold mine 3 years ago but there's probably an over temp, under oil pressure, and an overspeed. The overspeed will probably require manual reset.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I when ahead and purchased an used engine because mine had to many problems. As I was replacing it, I noticed that the generator was missing a sensor just below the muffler and the 2 wires the were suppose to be connected to it where shorting out. Everything works good now.
Thanks Guys,
Raymond