Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps, washers and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

McCormick-Deering Corn Binder Knotter Help

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 5298 times

Old 10-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Registered-I

Default McCormick-Deering Corn Binder Knotter Help

I am new to this group need help I bought a ground drive vertical binder was told was in working condition ,bought a manual . Cant get it to knot , string goes in allright I think .Makes a loop on the knotter,I think I have to sharpen the knife but the needle has a small pulley ,is that suppose to turn ? I saw from past posting their is a supplier in Pa.It has not been used for three years, but kept in a dry barn. I want to restore it and use it next fall for demonstrations on the farm. Thank you for any help Bob
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2009, 06:51 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: McCormick-Deering Corn Binder Help

The little pulley in the needle does not turn on mine, either. They are rather difficult to start in the knotter until you can understand how they function. It took me a while with the operator's manual before I got mine threaded into the knotter. You have to pull the twine past the knotter and let it rest inside the slot on the knotter disk. Then cycle the machine while holding the twine taught. The disk should grab the twine at the end of the cycle and hold it. Next, grab the twine in the middle like you are a bundle of corn and cyle the knotter again. It should tie a knot leaving the loop you are holding. The bundle won't just fall off, you will have to jerk it pretty hard by hand.(when an actual bundle is in it, it will cut and fall off a lot easier.)
Good luck.
Kevin
Old 10-22-2009, 03:26 PM

Thanked 14,550 Times in 4,494 Posts

First off the bill hooks, or "fingers" , HAVE to be completely SHINEY. The twine passes through a spring loaded disc which holds tension on the twine while it is delivered, the knot made and twine cut. The cutter blade must be very sharp too.
If there are grooves worn into the eyes of the needles they need to be built up and made VERY smooth as well.
The tip of the needle, which feeds the twine to the knotter, needs to rub or nearly rub the bill hook so it can pick up the twine.
While most needles are made of cast iron there were a few formed steel ones which are nearly impossible to do anything with if they get bent......
I don't know how many broken New Holland bailer needles we welded over the the years but it would be quite a pile.......

Look what I found: http://www.haytalk.com/forums/f7/kno...justments-230/

If you read this SLOWLY you'll get the sequence of events perfectly. It's the best explanation of how a knotter works I've ever seen: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=11638
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craig A:
Old 10-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Registered-III

craig is right. Rust is your worst enemy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nebraska Cowman:
Old 09-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Registered-I

Default My old International Corn Binder

Last fall you helped me get my ground drive corn binder parts I needed, You told me how to clean the knotter and where to get the parts I needed I just wanted to say I tried it out tonight and bundled 50 bundles in 1 hour without 1 miss. I want to say thankyou for all the help and all the good reading in these forums. Thanks again Bobe P.S. I will post some pic. I want to paint and finish the restoration this winter
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobe:
Old 10-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: McCormick-Deering Corn Binder Knotter Help

Hello Everyone,
I have a McCormick-Deering Vertical Corn Binder also. I am restoring one it is mostly complete but the twine knife. Could someone give me the measurements for it so I can make one. I have not found a place that has one for sale yet.
Thanks Jeff
Old 10-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: McCormick-Deering Corn Binder Knotter Help

i bought one new a year or two ago...I think it was from here...give them a call

General Repair Shop
63 Old Leacock Rd.Ronks, Pa.
717-768-3902
voice mail 717-656-1967

Kevin