Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

Plastic curtains overspray protection

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 4479 times

Old 11-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Registered-I

Default Plastic curtains overspray protection

Have any members made plastic curtains for doing paint work,spraying,in a building where the curtain would be used to create a temporary paint booth,there too pricey to buy new,any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: plastic curtains overspray protection

Back in the 90's I worked for a local J Deere dealer. We would bring trade ins inside during winter and get them ready for spring. We had an exhaust fan on one end of the building and built a temporary paint booth near it. We used shower curtains to help contain the paint overspray. It worked pretty good with spray paint cans but a large volume paint spray gun was overpowering. We had a couple sets of filters on it to catch some if not most of the airborne paint.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,408 Times in 1,163 Posts

Ppg makes a plastic that comes in 16' x 400' rolls. It is very light weight and very thin. I use it every time i spray because it is very high static for a 24 hour period and the dust goes to it and stays. About 30.00 a roll. Regular plastic can cause more dust nibs and problems because it is not a high static material. Build your spray area and then just tape up the high stat plastic for dust magnets.
Rod
The Following User Says Thank You to Rod Fielder:
Old 11-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Registered-III

jcruise,

I have a really nice spray booth that is brand new never used listed on ebay, for less than a third of the original cost. I ended up getting a much bigger one for what I am doing.

Jim
Old 01-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Registered-I

I'm no expert on painting but have done a few cars and trucks over the years. I'm not sure about "high static" plastic being the best idea, as it can spark, and if the paint fumes and air have the right mixture it could explode! I think that light weight plastic is supposed to be for covering things you don't want overspray on. I have a paint booth I built inside my shop that I can tear down and stow away in about 10 minutes, leaving that area open for other things. I stapled visqueen (sp?) plastic to the ceiling joists permanently and bought 2" thick white styrofoam insulating panels (4x8 ft.) for temporary walls. I glued 2" wide strips of thin door veneer plywood onto the edges with elmer's glue to stiffen them and put cheap weatherstrips down one side so that when stood up, they seal against each other. I put up a board next to the ceiling the full length of the booth that the foam boards rest against and put simple swivel latches to hold the foam from falling down once in place. It is in a corner of my shop, so two walls are permanent and the other two are put up after the vehicle is inside. I also put a squirrel cage fan fitted to a square hole at one end to blow air into the booth to pressurize it and keep dust from entering. There is a filter on the fan to keep from sucking in any dust, and the fan blows into the booth through a wooden box with vent grates pointing in different directions to diffuse the airflow so it doesn't blow right at the vehicle. At the other end is a hole large enough to let out the spray mist, but small enough to keep the booth at a little higher than atmospheric pressure. It took me a couple days to build it all, but it has been SOOO worth the effort...I have painted four vehicles in it so far, and they came out great. It isn't a top o the line settup, but works very well for the low cost, and frees up space when not in use.
Sorry this is so long, but thought maybe someone can use the information. Hope it helps!
Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Mc B:
Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,408 Times in 2,683 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't styrofoam insulation 'high static' also ???

Seems to me every time you try to cut the stuff it sticks to everything because of the static cling

Does sound like a cheap way to make an insulated paint booth though if you want to put in some heat lamps to speed up the drying time, and still be something you can tear down and store out of the way when you're done using it.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,408 Times in 1,163 Posts
Default Re: Plastic curtains overspray protection

All i know is i have won best paint at many of the biggest and best indoor car shows in america, including 3 times at the detroit autorama at cobo hall, all using high static plastic

works for me

aslo note, most squirrel cage blower fans are not explosion proof and put out constant sparks all the time they are running. Your insurance company will refuse any fire claims if you use one. Very dangerous. Get a enclosed sealed motor to run any type of fan you use. A pressurized paint booth is by far the safest and cleanest way to go as mentioned in previous post.

Happy painting

rod
The Following User Says Thank You to Rod Fielder: