Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Cushman Cub

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 3088 times

Old 09-24-2002, 11:28 AM
D.J. Baisch

Default Cushman Cub

I just received a cushman cub, Now you are saying to yourself,[big deal] but,this one has heavy electric flywheels, thay are 4-in accross.and a complete subase to mount a genset, I have been around a while , I have never seen one of these,how about you all in fly over country? would this be considerd fairly rare,? or I just haven't seen one?? thanks d.j.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2002, 03:25 PM
Joe A

Default Re: Cushman Cub

Hey D.J.-

How about a pic? I'd love to see it.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 09-24-2002, 05:10 PM
D.J. Baisch

I don't know how to send pics on harrys, but would be glad to send one direct to you. d.j.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:28 AM
2 Engine John

This is a picture of D.J.'s Cushman engine..

Old 09-27-2002, 08:24 PM
Dave Showerman

D.J. I recently purchased a Cushman Cub. Regular size flywheels. My question: I don't have a crank for mine, but the crankshaft has a "spline" simular to the old power take-off shafts on a farm tractor. Is this the same on yours? Thanks, Dave in Holt.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:50 PM
David Greenwalt

Dave, my cub also has the spine. It is for the crank. Cub cranks aren't like the ones with just the dog on it. They will be shaped like the spine. David.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:57 PM
D.J. Baisch

Yup-dave--David is correct,the crank is a spline style,ALSO--, I have yet to find out if there are many like mine out there, I also have one that is a 5-H.P. with a expanded water hopper, called a farmaster, by sears! and another one that says Massey-Harris, with a little different mixer, I hope people that know will respond. d.j.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:18 PM
David Greenwalt

Oh yeah, spline, not spine. Well, mine did have a spline, but I couldn't find a crank so I beat the L out of it . David.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:56 PM
Bill Sherlock

Cushman made engines for Massey Harris that were designated R14 for the 2 HP model and R20 for the 3 HP. Don't remember seeing any larger ones made by Cushman. The older ones were painted green and more recent ones were red.

Bill
Old 09-28-2002, 06:39 AM
John Raney

I have a question. How would you get a splined crank off of a splined shaft after the engine started? Sounds like a wrist breaker to me!
Old 09-28-2002, 07:01 AM
David Greenwalt

On mine the splines are not straight cut grooves, kind of scooped, and are tapered down. When you let off pressure on the crank it comes right off. Splined is probably not the correct word to use here, but I don't know how else to describe it. When I get off work tonight I'll scan a pic from the manual. David.
Old 09-28-2002, 11:21 AM
2 Engine John

John, here's a picture of the cranking set-up on the Cushman Cub that I have...Didn't mean to jump ahead of you, David, but mine was handy to get to--John

Old 09-28-2002, 08:04 PM
Ed

Not sure what Dave is referring to but I have had several "R" crank handles, all like the picture John shows, certainly not the shape of the spline. In fact I have used a F/M 1 1/2HP crank handle on the Cushman. Doesn't do to bad. I'm not sure about making the R-2 to R40 series just for Massey Harris. Cushnman started out the "R" series with 2, 3, and 4HP and I believe followed up the the R-2 to R40. Don't have the book here but there are several models here like R2, R?, R?, R20, R30, R40. Same cyl. head fits all, but 3 different piston sizes. They all used the same crank handle. Ed
Old 09-28-2002, 08:33 PM
David Greenwalt

That's alright John. I couldn't find a crank for mine and an older collector had told me that the crank was also splined. I can see that I was...gulp...WRONG. So I learned something on this thread also. Thanks, David.
Old 09-28-2002, 09:23 PM
Dave Showerman

Clever Dave
Old 09-28-2002, 09:35 PM
Dave Showerman

John, I'll jump in here with a thank you for the picture. Now for the next question, Does anyone happen to have one of those cranks laying around? Those small diameter flywheels are tough to get a hold of. Dave in Holt. PS I haven't lost sight of the original question. Big flywheels, etc.
Old 09-28-2002, 10:26 PM
David Greenwalt

Hi Ed, after thinking about it and the old gentleman that told me that I needed a splined crank to go with my engine, I think I got the old leg pulled pretty good. And to think of the times I asked at shows if people would know where I could get one. Kinda of like sending a newbie after muffler bearings, huh? I don't mind though, I figure the old goat got a pretty good laugh from it . I'm REALLY glad he doesn't have a computer, he would never let me live this down. This does teach me though, if I don't see it with my own eyes don't repeat it. David.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:49 AM
Bud Bordelon

Does the spline part screw on to the crankshaft, and is used as a nut to hold the flywheel??? I have a special nut on mine that is about 5/8 inch thick, wonder if someone changed it? Mine also has a brass fuel mixer, which I have never seen before. All the others I have seen have had pot metal fuel mixers. Are the brass mixers rare??

Thank You Bud
Old 09-29-2002, 12:30 PM
Joe A

Hi Guys-

I want to jump in here with a fre comments. First off to answer Bud's question- The spline thing as you guys have been calling it does indeed screw on the end of the crank shaft and is indeed used as a nut to hold the flywheel on. The Cushman cub with the extended hoper is a 4hp not a 5 hp. The Cubs were made in 4 sizes. 1/1/2, 2, 3, and 4hp. I have never personally seen a 1/1/2HP Does somebody out there have one? I do not know how the model numbers were sequened but I do know that I had a 3hp that was a model R3 and a 2hp that was a model R14. The real early Cub engines were painted green and hade brass mixers. the later ones were painted gray and hat cast mixers. I do not think any Cubs were ever painted red, but I could be wrong. I do not know what color the massey Harris Cubs were painted. The crank handle pictured in this thred is the correct one for the cub. I sold both of my cub engines because they were fussy and I can't use a crank with my disibility so I have to spin the flywheels and the mag mounts too close to the flywheel to be able to spin it with out smashing your thumb. I speak from experience. OUCH!!!

Hope this helps,

Joe
Old 09-29-2002, 02:37 PM
D.J. Baisch

Joe; I will send a picture of my [5-h.p.] cushman it says Farmaster- made by cushman, and sold by sears,to ledbetter, and he will post it, this is the one with the big hopper, for all intent, it is just a big cushman cub. I don't have any trouble spinning my cushmans with the crank , it clears plenty. d,j,