Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler Generator Starting and staying running problem

Thank God for Forums of all kinds! Especially Smokestak! ;). I have an '89 RV with a Kohler...

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1795 times

Old 12-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Registered

Default Kohler Generator Starting and staying running problem

Thank God for Forums of all kinds! Especially Smokestak! . I have an '89 RV with a Kohler 7cm21-RV generator that is hard starting and wont stay running. If I manually play with the choke and throttle, I can make it run for a little bit, but it soon dies if the start switch is released. I know it probably needs a carb overhaul, but the dying with releasing the start switch is new to me due to generators are new to me. I have been a MasterAuto tech for 20 years now. A little help in the right direction would be much appreciated. New things are fun!

Tom
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 08:21 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts
Default Re: Kohler 7cm21-RV Generator Starting and staying running problem

I do not know much about Kohler but it may not be making power. On an ONAN if it will not stay running you need to see if the generator end is making power. Also check for oil pressure if engine is so equipped. If you have oil pressure figure a way to hot wire and check to see if the generator section is making power.

Kent