Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Rusted Spark Plug

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 734 times

Old 09-29-2002, 08:17 PM
John Stewart

Default Rusted Spark Plug

I recently purchased an engine for parts, but I have enough other spares to make it whole again.

Only problem is that the spark plug is rusted pretty good (or bad) any ideas on getting it loose without damaging the head?

JS
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2002, 09:30 PM
Baggsy-Wy

Default Re: Rusted Spark Plug

Can you get the head off and into a tub? I'd give it a 12 hour dose of electrolysis. Worked wonders on a head I worked on awhile back...
Old 09-30-2002, 10:18 AM
Jim Sherman

Knock the porcelin out of it, grind down a hacksaw blade that will fit inside the plug and cut it out from inside of the hole. One releif cut may be enough if not put a second cut in and knock the piece out.

-jim
Old 09-30-2002, 12:07 PM
jd_mike

Patience and penetrating oil.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:36 PM
Dan Baalman

John I have done what Jim suggested and it worked fine. Dan
Old 09-30-2002, 09:23 PM
D. Smith

I agree with Baggsy , electolysis works wonders if you have a little time. Keep your anodes clean, let it work a couple of days, and it WILL come loose! D. Smith
Old 09-30-2002, 09:41 PM
Matt Sage

I Have had Great luck with heating the plug not the casting red hot with a torch.As it cools and the color goes away put some wax on it it seems to suck into the threads and provides a lube to help it out .Good luck...........Matt
Old 09-30-2002, 10:07 PM
Don C. Wiley

John;

I have had good luck spraying some penatrant around it and using a tight fitting socket, I just use a 1/2" air wrench and it has always worked for me. If that fails use the hack saw method or the torch.

"Your milage may vary"

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
Old 09-30-2002, 10:44 PM
BFultz

Delco Don.....I'm glad I'm not the only crazy one on this board. I've done that several times and it works.
Old 10-01-2002, 01:31 AM
Russ Hughes

When you said "an air wrench" did you mean an air driven impact wrench? These things sometimes work wonders with a little penetrating oil soaking in.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:21 PM
John Stewart

Thanks to all who replied...I got the plug out and all is well. I had been soaking it for a couple of months with no luck.

I decided to give the hack saw method a try. After I broke out the porcelin and removed that little screw in piece that holds the porcelin I thought I would give it one last try. It moved, and I was able to gradually work it out.

Now on to the stuck valves!

John