Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Blacksmithing and Metallurgy
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy Hand-wrought manufacture of metal objects, extracting metals from their ores, or purifying metals and casting useful items from the metals.

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy

Using RTV to make no-bake sand core boxes?

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2441 times

Old 12-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Subscriber

Liked 480 Times in 208 Posts
Default Using RTV to make no-bake sand core boxes?

Am working on a core box for an engine cylinder head. It is a one-off affair, so I am trying to do this the easiest way. Am going to use the actual head from another engine as the outer pattern (adding material for shrinkage) and am making up a woden core pattern for the passages. The foundry I go to uses no-bake core sand. Question is can I make the core box mold from RTV? I can house the RTV in a wood box to give it rigidity. If so, making the parting lines for the core box would be real easy with a sharp knife. Comments/suggestions?? Tried to search this on the internet and found zip.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Registered-III

Liked 1,670 Times in 524 Posts
Default Re: Using RTV to make no-bake sand core boxes??

Paul, I'm working on a small core box for a water pump. What's your plan for the rtv, how will you mold it?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Registered-II

Liked 380 Times in 54 Posts

Take a look at alumilite.com they have castable resigns that work great for core boxes.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Subscriber

Liked 5,451 Times in 2,705 Posts

I had a couple sites saved to my favorites list on this subject, but now I'm not finding them.

I do have an 'old' saved folder from resetting the computer a couple years ago, so when I have more time I will try searching through that and see if I can come up with a website for you check out.

I can't guarantee that it will be what you're looking for, but there were a couple outfits selling 'casting kits' using a pourable RTV for casting highly detailed small car parts and other items out of Resin for making your own hood ornaments, door lock knobs, radio knobs, shifter handle knobs, or whatever other 'custom' part you wanted to make or duplicate. I don't know how high of a temperature the RTV will hold up to though if you're pouring iron. There was also one I had saved that had the pourable RTV for the mold, and a another plastic for forming your own custom tail light lenses that I thought was kind of neat if I can ever find them again.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Subscriber

Liked 5,451 Times in 2,705 Posts
Red face Re: Using RTV to make no-bake sand core boxes?

Sorry to say that after searching every folder I keep my favorites links in and going through 197 e-mails in a magazine folder with links to different websites, I'm still coming up empty handed here. I know I had at least two, maybe even three different links to companies with kits available for RTV casting and mold making.

Can't Find Them Now Though !
Old 01-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Subscriber

Liked 480 Times in 208 Posts
Default Re: Using RTV to make no-bake sand core boxes?

I make RTV molds all the time- the trick is backing it up with wood so I do not use 2-3 gallons to make the mold. Plus the wood backing blocks will stiffen the mold when it is rammed up.